MEElectronics M6 - muffled/hollow sound? Fit problem or bad set?
Apr 19, 2011 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Cheffy

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought these the other day, great price and kept hearing about how good they were for the money. I've been havng a bit of difficulty with getting them to fit/sit right, but doing better now. Need to use the triple or double flanges to get a good seal, triple more consistent than double.

Overall the sound is pretty ok, but sounds muffled and hollow, especially in the mids. Kind of like through a tube. I can use the EQ with foobar 2000 to reduce this, and improve overall sound, but it is still there.

I think part of the problem might be the flanges - I think the opening gets squished in the ears, making the sound muffled. I find that it is very hard to get them to sit just right in my ears all the time - just when I get them right, I move a little and they shift, and the sound either gets more muffled or tinny. This sit better with the triple flanges, but become muffled more easily too.

But even when they sit "right" (I think) they still sound echoey or hollow, particularly in the mids, like through a tube. Not badly, but noticeably.

Anyone else experience this sound? Any solutions? Is my pair bad? Would foam tips (e.g. comply) help with this? I find I have trouble getting a seal sometimes even with thick foam earplugs, especially in my right ear which I think the canal is shaped differently in from the left.

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 14
I think for less than $20 you really cannot expect much more ... I agree with your description of them having hollow mids like they are not fed enough power, in fact the whole sound signature is kind of like that, but then all my other IEMs are 10 times the cost so what do I know...

Anyway..mess around with tips might help but the foam ones probably will muffle up the sound even more. Try EQing as well. And really what you should do is face the facts that these were never meant to sound more than $20. 

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 14
I'm not trying to complain - if this is what they offer, then that's fine. I tried my girlfriends M6s - we got a double pack of black and pink for $30 - I swear, her's seem to sound a little better, less boomy and hollow, but that signature sound is still there. I think it's just that her's seem to fit in my ear a little better is all, though not sure why (using the triple tips for both).

I might try some cheap foam tips, but I'll accept the sound for now. They do sound more rich than my cheap Kanons. Any EQ tips? I tried some of the one's from another thread but found it tended to make the hollow sound worse.

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 14
It's okay to complain..I was disappointed as well because of all the raving reviews on how good they are performance-to-price wise...

As for EQ...it depends on what device you are using. Something like vocal booster maybe? But really EQ won't help much. 
Quote:
I'm not trying to complain - if this is what they offer, then that's fine. I tried my girlfriends M6s - we got a double pack of black and pink for $30 - I swear, her's seem to sound a little better, less boomy and hollow, but that signature sound is still there. I think it's just that her's seem to fit in my ear a little better is all, though not sure why (using the triple tips for both).

I might try some cheap foam tips, but I'll accept the sound for now. They do sound more rich than my cheap Kanons. Any EQ tips? I tried some of the one's from another thread but found it tended to make the hollow sound worse.

Apr 19, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 14
These were mostly just something to have in my collection for when I am travelling light or as a backup in case I forget my full-sized headphones. I have some ATH-M50s on order, those will be my primary headphones. :)

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 14
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a fair amount of sample variation in the cheap, mass produced meelec's...I bought a pair of m9p's a while back after reading good things and they sounded absolutely terrible.  My m6p's however, sound great...good sound quality, good bass, decent highs, slightly recessed mids, good fit etc...since they're selling these things for 10-20 I wouldn't be surprised if quality control isn't the greatest.

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 14
For 15-20 bucks, they're hard to beat.  But with that said, they're not exactly the greatest hi-fi earphones in the world.  Loads of bass, pretty veiled, and can sound fairly muddy depending on source/material played.  I use these at the gym, just cause I can throw them around and the bass heaviness is good for some adrenaline passages, but beyond that, I don't really listen to them much at all.

It could be a bad set, but then... it could just be how they sound (compared to perhaps exaggerated expectations off of the good reviews/consensus).

Apr 19, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 14
I'd have to agree with seamo. Your m6 are probably defective. If you are in the U.S. all you have to do is send an e-mail to warranty@meelec.com along with your receipt as an attachment and they'll send you a replacement, along with prepaid postage to send them back the defective pair.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a fair amount of sample variation in the cheap, mass produced meelec's...I bought a pair of m9p's a while back after reading good things and they sounded absolutely terrible.  My m6p's however, sound great...good sound quality, good bass, decent highs, slightly recessed mids, good fit etc...since they're selling these things for 10-20 I wouldn't be surprised if quality control isn't the greatest.

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 14
Thanks for the advice all. Yeah, mass produced headphones that cost the same as replacement foam tips probably can't be expected to be too amazing. I live in Canada, so I'll see what they can do for me. Thanks!

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #11 of 14
Been listening to my girlfriend's set vs mine, hers is definitely less muffled and hollow sounding. Might be a fit issue on the left ear, but after switching back and forth on the same song over and over, I can hear it for sure. I'll inquire to MEElectronics.

Apr 20, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #13 of 14
These needs serious EQ, so if you have a device with rockbox, they sound a million times better. There are settings somewhere on head-fi. I get perfect seal with the stock triple-flanges, with the third flange cut off. Otherwise they get squished in my ears too if I use anything else.

With that said, I gave them to my bro so he can use them at the gym. They are decent for the price ($12 recently at newegg, or $20 regular price) but sound unnatural to me at all frequency without EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back