Meelectronics CC51 review
Aug 4, 2011 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kiler

100+ Head-Fier
[size=16.0pt]Introduction[/size][size=12.0pt] – [/size]First of all I would like to thank to Mike at Meelectronics for sending out this sample of the Meelctronics CC51 for me to review. He was very kind and was always willing to help throughout the process. I had big hopes for these IEM. My primary musical choices are electronic music, dance, drum and bass and some dubstep, so these phones must feel “at home” so to speak. But I will also listen to some other genres to see how well these phones perform.
[size=16.0pt]Description[/size]
[size=9.0pt]“Ceramic housing looks as great as it sounds! The CC51 uses a new 6.0mm micro-driver that delivers full, accurate, detailed sound and, when housed in ceramic, eliminates resonance that might cause distortion-inducing harmonics resulting in a natural sound. Due to the driver being located very close to the ear, driver size does not limit reproduction of full range sound. Ceramic is an extremely hard, durable material that does not resonate in audible audio frequencies like other housings, resulting in a very clean, clear, ear-pleasing sound, while looking fantastic and holding up extremely well to wear and tear.[/size]
[size=9.0pt]The clarity series in-ear headphones reproduce music that is clear and accurate sounding with good detail and enough bass to please most, yet not overpower the rest of the spectrum.[/size]
[size=9.0pt]Features:[/size]
[size=9.0pt]    Ceramic housing that is acoustically inert, eliminating resonance for more accurate sound[/size]
[size=9.0pt]    Powerful yet balanced full-range 6.0 mm micro-driver delivering high levels of accuracy and dynamics[/size]
[size=9.0pt]    Small in-ear design is comfortable and stylish[/size]
[size=9.0pt]    In-ear design provides passive noise cancellation[/size]
[size=9.0pt]    Compatible with iPod, iPhone, MP3/CD/DVD players, computers, and all devices with a standard 3.5mm jack”[/size]
[size=16.0pt]Technical Data [/size]
  1. [size=9.0pt]Driver: 6.0 mm micro-drivers[/size]
  1. [size=9.0pt]Housing: Ceramic housing with aluminum nozzle[/size]
  1. [size=9.0pt]Frequency Response: 18Hz – 20KHz [/size]
  1. [size=9.0pt]Sensitivity: 98 dB[/size]
  1. [size=9.0pt]Impedance: 16 ohms[/size]
  1. [size=9.0pt]Maximum Power Input: 5 mW[/size]
  1. [size=9.0pt]Connector: 3 pin stereo 3.5mm gold plated 90° plug[/size]
  1. [size=9.0pt]Cable: solid color 130 cm cord (51 in) with attached shirt clip[/size]
  1. [size=9.0pt]Accessories: 4 sets of silicone ear tips (small/medium/large; bi-flange), clamshell zipper case[/size]

[size=16.0pt]Packaging[/size][size=13.5pt] – [/size]The packaging of these phones in nothing like the usual Meelec ones. Instead here they opted by a thin carboard box with a small windows that lets the customer see what is inside it. After that, you can easily open the box, to find a plastic box with a velvety touch to it where you can see the clamshell box, the IEM and the tips that come with this model.

[size=16.0pt]Accessories[/size][size=12.0pt] – [/size]As always Meelec has been very kind providing 4 set of tips (small/medium/large/bi-flange), and a clamshell zipper case. The cable also has a built-in clip that I haven’t tried to remove, because attempts to do so could probably end damaging the cable.

[size=16.0pt]Build Quality [/size][size=12.0pt]– [/size]On first sight the ceramics housings on my white version of these might be mistaken for plastic, but as soon as you can feel them in your hand you get to feel the quality and soon the idea of plastic disappears just by the weight that these have (weight that makes them feel sturdy). After the housings I looked at the cable, which disappointed me a bit. I think it won’t be able to receive that much “heavy treatment” as the housings could, but that is something only the time will be able to tell. Besides the not so sturdy cable, I loved the 90º angled jack. It has a very nice stress relief on it. The stress relief on the housings is good aswell, although the markings of  left and right, on low light, aren’t the best to distinguish each side.

[size=16.0pt]Comfort/Isolation [/size][size=12.0pt]–[/size] Although it may not seem these phones allow a deep insertion, something that someone seeing their long housings wouldn’t th
ink. The isolation and the comfort with them are pretty great. You don’t need to crank up the volume in order to get surrounded by your music and stop listening the outside, although I haven’t used them that much in noisy environments (the subway, for example). Unfortunately, my unit seems to have some kind of issue with driver flex on the right driver that causes a little bit of discomfort and doesn’t allow such a deep insertion on the right side as the left side. Also these phones may cause some discomfort to some with smaller ears due to their diameter (the microdriver in the nozzle of them makes the nozzle a little bit bigger than normal nozzles, but this is normally an issue with any microdriver IEM).

[size=16pt]Sound[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Source – [/size]Rockboxed Sansa Clip+ and a laptop (LG R400)

[size=12.0pt]Files Used – [/size]320 kbps and FLAC

[size=12.0pt]Before Burn-in – [/size]These IEM carry an immense sense of warmness. Regarding the kind of music that I prefer these turn out to be the best IEM to I have heard to date.  I can feel the bass, reaching low and giving body to the music, but not overpowering the full, rich mids that help in giving that sense of clarity. You can almost feel the sweet vocals coming into you. Also, in drum and bass, besides their full bass, they can keep up to the fast pace and they never feel slow in the bass like some other phones feel. The highs have some room to improve as the cymbals may be a tad too bright to some. I will keep the review updated as soon as they hit the 50 hours of burn-in that they’re on right now.

[size=12.0pt]Burn-in[/size][size=12.0pt] – [/size]My burn-in consists in pink noise along with a playlist that is composed of the songs I usually hear on my daily basis.

[size=12.0pt]After burn-in – [/size]These don’t suffer any big changes after burn-in, the bass feels a little big tighter and the cymbals feel a little more tamed. So the sound improves in generality but nothing that much noticeable.

[size=16.0pt]Conclusion[/size]

I don’t even know where to start… These phones are absolutely astonishing in their price range. I can’t even think of some phones in the 100-120 $ price in this kind of sound signature (warm, fun sounding) that can rival these. These also show that for this kind of signature a dynamic driver (even a micro like the one in these) is the best. So if you want, quick tidy bass, lush and sweet vocals, and nice highs these are the right pair of IEM for you, being the only drawbacks the possibility of driver flex and the diameter of the nozzle. But if you can live with these I think they’re the best sounding IEM’s in this price range, and I cannot recommend them enough. Just try them and see.

[size=16.0pt]References[/size]
[size=14.0pt]Price[/size]: [size=12.0pt]$79.99 [/size][size=12.0pt](MSRP) [/size]
[size=14.0pt]Link to the manufacturer’s site[/size]: Meelectronics CC51
[size=14.0pt]Manufacturer’s warranty[/size]: 1 year

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 11
Nice review. Looking forward to reading your impression as to how these sound after burn-in, as these were on my radar for a while.

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 11
I think your price is spot on; Amazon just happened to be dumping them off for cheap.  ~1 month ago, I picked up some SP51's for $25, a week later some MC5's for $30. (both of those are ~2x more now)

Sep 13, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 11
I received mine in the mail yesterday.  Where the silver nozzle attaches to the housing, there is quite a bit of gunk, presumably dried glue. 
Sound - excellent if you can obtain proper deep insertion and seal.  The diameter of the nozzle can make it difficult.  I know you covered some of this Kiler, just
throwing in my personal experience with them so far.  On my SP51's, I use the large bi-flange tips.  On the CC51's, I'm having a hard time finding the right size tip to use.  I also put a very small amount of petroleum based jelly around the tips which made insertion much easier albeit they're not very comfortable.  

Sep 13, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
I received mine in the mail yesterday.  Where the silver nozzle attaches to the housing, there is quite a bit of gunk, presumably dried glue. 
Sound - excellent if you can obtain proper deep insertion and seal.  The diameter of the nozzle can make it difficult.  I know you covered some of this Kiler, just
throwing in my personal experience with them so far.  On my SP51's, I use the large bi-flange tips.  On the CC51's, I'm having a hard time finding the right size tip to use.  I also put a very small amount of petroleum based jelly around the tips which made insertion much easier albeit they're not very comfortable.  

.............. what are you trying to imply 
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back