MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd Post*
Mar 14, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #573 of 3,265
Compared this to Soundmagic E80 a few days ago just because :p

At first I found E80 to to have more prominent upper mid though could sound hot, the bass slammed harder (yes, E80's bass can slam quite hard driven with Mojo), it simply sounded more engaging but on further listen it was clear that P1 was the more refined phone, it sounded a bit v-shaped compared to E80 due to the more pulled back mid-to-upper mid yet female vocal sounded more natural, the treble had more details, and while the bass certainly didn't slam as hard, it offered more detail. I think their overall tonality was not that far off, I thought they were both brightish IEMs with E80 being more raw and more prone to sibilant. Definitely can't go wrong with either, but if you have the budget, you'd probably better off going with P1. Stay far away from E80 if you think P1 is peaky; it would kill your ears lol.

P1 was quite harder to drive though, had to go to green balls to match E80's db level at orange balls.

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #574 of 3,265
They are showing as available again on the MEE site. I ordered from Amazon about a week ago, but it still says it hasn't shipped and it says expected ship date is *APRIL 15TH*...so I cancelled and ordered from MEE. 37 days just to ship a purchase is a little much. I suppose the stock updating isn't exactly "live" on Amazon; at least from MEE I can be fairly confident that they actually have the stock in (been hearing about this second wave for a while now from this thread) and will ship my order in a timely fashion.

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #575 of 3,265
If it helps, delivery on the last batch that became available direct from MEE a fortnight or so back only took 5 days to get from order to arrival the UK. Pretty good, plus the Pinnacle racks up enough loyalty points to get $15 or 25% off your next purchase through them, which is an added bonus.

Mar 15, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #576 of 3,265
Thanks for the update, I finally pulled the trigger. Rewards account helps for future, too! And now the wait...

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #578 of 3,265
If it helps, delivery on the last batch that became available direct from MEE a fortnight or so back only took 5 days to get from order to arrival the UK. Pretty good, plus the Pinnacle racks up enough loyalty points to get $15 or 25% off your next purchase through them, which is an added bonus.

Get this: woke up this morning to "your order has shipped" email, literally a couple hours after I placed the order. Eat dust, Amazon.

@cleg - 2 things: 1.) I love your accent. 2.) This is incredibly embarrassing, but I never realized how to pronounce "comply tips" until watching your video. For some reason that I could never possibly explain, I always pronounced it "COMP-lee", when it's *literally* JUST THE WORD COMPLY which also goes along with the theme of them "conforming" or "complying" to your ear shape. I am an idiot. Your english pronunciation is officially better than mine, and it's the only language I speak. Ok, I know a little German.

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #579 of 3,265
Mine are arriving tomorrow....Woo Hoo!!!

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #580 of 3,265
Mar 16, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #581 of 3,265
  This is a graph I made of the Pinnacle with my Vibro Veritas. As always stated, this is not measurements that should be considered exact, but at the same time aren't far off from it. It measures pretty impressive honestly. 

Don't jump into any out-the-box conclusion, let it burn in for 50hrs
wink.gif

Thanks for the quick impressions James.
Once you've spent some time with the P1, if you don't mind, could you include A/B comparisons with the Titan 1 and/or Ostry KC06, . (These are the only 2 IEMs I own, that feature in your inventory list)

Ok, I'm well past the 60hrs mark on my P1 now and the sound signature hasn't changed one iota. No offense meant to anyone, but going by some earlier impressions, if it weren't for Hisoundfi's above-noted graph I'd almost think I got an off-tune unit. That said, my P1 sound pretty close to how Hisoundfi's measurement would suggest, noticeably rolled-off in deep bass, with its bulk of bass energy concentrated in the mid/upper bass region. Then a downsloping warm-ish midrange with rather laid-back character, before they pick up emphasis again towards the upper mids. Beyond that, pretty laid-back lower treble throughout the sibilance range, and finally a distinct surge of energy above 10kHz.

To clarify my point, I don't think that the P1 sound bad... it's just that I didn't expect that kind of sound signature at all. The lower half of the spectrum sounds very much like a dynamic driver based equivalent of my Westone W4. And the high mids and treble sound not unlike my IE800, albeit a good deal smoother. I've done A/B comparisons to both IEMs and the similarities are pretty obvious. Will post some music examples later, to illustrate a few points that stand out to me on the P1.

As for the Titan 1 and Ostry KC06, I've done quick A/Bs and both sound more forward and clearer, but also less refined in the upper ranges. The DUNUs sound even extremely analytical and bright in comparison, while the Ostrys are a little more v-shaped with overall slightly more bass impact, but also deeper reach. The P1 are significantly more laid-back and smoother overall, but a little veiled in the lower ranges and thinner in treble, due to their 10k+ peak.

Actually, the P1's tuning is an interesting one and reminds me of something I've written about the PFE232 a looong time ago. Not to say that these sound similar (it's single DD vs. dual BA after all), but the note-weight balance between bass and treble is somewhat reminiscent of the Phonaks in my book:

Now for the bass/treble relation, (to my ears) Phonak made some interesting tuning choice here, in that note weight isn't the same across the frequency range. The 232's lower range has a noticeably lusher/thicker feel to it, whereas the highs are leaner and borderline thin. This makes cymbals and flutes sound extremely lively and airy and and bass and drums impressively full at the same time. Interestingly enough it doesn't spoil timbre when looking at individual instruments (since hardly any spans the entire frequency range), but poses a bit of an anomaly in my book when listening to classical orchestra. On Mahler's 2nd the final set starts with a drum explosion that makes you jump on the 232, whereas the subsequent horns sound a bit thin in comparison. Like I said, this is nitpicking and most likely not a problem for the majority of listeners, but well, that's how I hear it. Btw the FI-BA-SS are leaner across the whole frequency range and the W4 maybe slightly leaner in bass and thicker in treble, since they have more consistent note weight in my book.

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #584 of 3,265
They're also available from a 3rd party seller on Amazon. I'm not willing to pay $21 for expedited shipping, so I'll be fine with getting them next week. They show 3 still available. I feel a little more comfortable with the Amazon return policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back