MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd Post*
Mar 18, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #601 of 3,265
I forgot the sound of the Macaw GT100S, auditioned it long time ago. How does it fare with the P1? @twister6

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #602 of 3,265
  I forgot the sound of the Macaw GT100S, auditioned it long time ago. How does it fare with the P1? @twister6

If I can only find GT100s lol!!!  Somewhere in the box, collecting dust, while I'm using P1 on a regular basis.  That pretty much sums it up
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #603 of 3,265

If I can only find GT100s lol!!!  Somewhere in the box, collecting dust, while I'm using P1 on a regular basis.  That pretty much sums it up
wink.gif

haha im waiting for my p1. expected arrival next week
frown.gif

with what i recalled when demoing the p1, im unsure why i thought of the gt100s

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #604 of 3,265

wink.gif

haha im waiting for my p1. expected arrival next week
frown.gif

with what i recalled when demoing the p1, im unsure why i thought of the gt100s

and btw, I like P1 "fitment" a lot better lol!!!

Mar 18, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #606 of 3,265
The fat body and short neck looks like they won't fit into my ear canals. I have that problem with the Piston 3.

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #607 of 3,265

"fitment" of p1 is really good!
sorry @Brooko fitment sounds nicer than fitting
tongue.gif

Actually it would be "the fit of P1 is really good" - but you guys carry on with the fitment thing, I can always block you if it gets too much 
wink.gif

Might have to see if I can get hold of a pair of P1's to try at some stage - seem to be well regarded

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #609 of 3,265
My P1 arrived today.

Just a brief 30 min impressions

These are really smooth and should be great for extended listening.The detail retrival is excellent,on par with dn 2000.The bass punches deep and imho these are a tad bit on warmer side,just a bit.
The mids seem a bit laid back to me comparing these to my vc 1000 and my cousin's dn 2000.But overall the sound seems highly coherent and immersive.Bass and treble is more on dn 2000 but it also suffers from sibilance on certain tracks and too much bass on some rock and classical tracks.

P1 should be great for someone who wants details like dn 2000 but without sibilance issues.Not to mention a better fit and isolation.

Mar 19, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #612 of 3,265
Wasn't sure if this was posted already.

For those of you had the batch #1 with clipping issues, MEE sent me a new pair of earphones with 2 new cables as well.  I was one of the rakuten buyers for $130.
I had to verify where I purchased the unit and turns out to no surprise that seller was an unauthorized seller (hence the very cheap price).
Yet they honored my warranty and said they would for anyone else that purchased it from them.  Excellent communication and customer service.

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #613 of 3,265
Well, after careful consideration and one week of extensive testing, I've decided to return my P1s. They're probably the best IEMs I've come across that I decided not to keep, and for the most part I think they're worthy of their flagship status. Packaging, build quality and accessories are nothing short of amazing. And as far as sound quality is concerned, let's just say I liked at least 90% of what I heard.

However, I can't help but being rather picky when it comes to realistic timbre of instruments and overall tonal balance. So, in case anyone's interested, here are two things I didn't like about the P1s and which ultimately led to my decision.

Bass tuning:

Contrary to many other dynamic driver based IEMs, the P1's bass is overall well-controlled and not overpowering, which is a good thing. However, the distribution of bass energy across the low range is far from linear to my ears, with its main emphasis in the mid/upper bass region and a distinct roll-off in deep bass.

This isn't quite a big deal as long as bass is just part of the rhythm section, and even provides a good kick without making the sound overly bassy. But whenever bass is played as a lead instrument and tackles its lowest range, the downside of such tuning becomes obvious. Here's an example, listen to the short bass solo starting at 2:35, which ends at 2:45 with a down-slide to about 50Hz. While this effect sounds awesome on IEMs with good bass extension, only the first half of the slide is actually audible on my P1, followed by a quick fade-out at around 100Hz:

Bass vs. treble note-weight:

While bass on the P1 has its main emphasis in the 100-200Hz region that defines punch, the lower treble range is a little laid-back as compared to the higher range around (and above) 10kHz. As a consequence, bass and drums have pretty substantial note-weight, whereas high-range instruments like cymbals tend to sound light and airy. This kind of tuning is actually pretty clever, as it creates the illusion of an IEM that packs a good punch on the one hand, but can still sound very detailed and subtle on the other hand. However, there's no such thing as a free lunch, and in case of the P1, the downside is a disparity in note-weight between bass and treble.

Here's an example, listen to bass and cymbals from 2:00 to around 3:00, the former sounds weighty, almost fat, while the latter sound light and thinnish in comparison, at times almost as if struck with pencils instead of sticks. When listening to the same track on phones with more consistent note-weight, the P1's disparity is easily discernible.

On a final note, I'm aware that we all have different tastes and priorities when it comes to sound quality, and I'm sure some things I'm picky about don't bother others in the slightest. The P1 were ultimately not what I'm looking for, but they're still darn good IEMs... and as always, ymmv.
smile_phones.gif

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #614 of 3,265
You might have to spend some serious money to get what you're looking for.

Thanks for all of your impressions.

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #615 of 3,265
I have been using them for 2 days now. Soundstage is nearly as good as my HD595s and those are open backed circumaural :xf_eek: crazy! Coming off of Atrio M5s and JVC FXT90s, the mids are quite a bit less "sweet & warm", but the clarity and most of all, placement/separation is absolutely fantastic. I suspect I really ought to drop $50 or so on a decent amp, disappointed a bit in how difficult they are to drive and they don't shine out of the box like they could. That's my only complaint, really. The packaging, design, accessories, etc are all incredibly polished and superior. I'm messing around a lot with tips right now but I will say I have a SMALL head and TINY ears and I'm not having any real fitting issues - in fact they are quite comfortable and well designed. I am classically a cable-down guy but with these I'm starting to wear over the ear more, and it works astonishingly well - my small ear size usually prohibits a good fit worn over the hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back