MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd Post*
May 1, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #992 of 3,265
So...how do these compare to the HD 600 in terms of sound signature/ timbre? I'm about to buy these as a gift for someone who loves the HD 600 (but is looking for IEMs), and the many listeners describing these as "bright" have me worried.

May 2, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #993 of 3,265
So...how do these compare to the HD 600 in terms of sound signature/ timbre? I'm about to buy these as a gift for someone who loves the HD 600 (but is looking for IEMs), and the many listeners describing these as "bright" have me worried.

This is the problem with one or two assessments being taken as gospel - a headphone gets a reputation before a lot of people heard it. At a recent meet I tried them, they are not bright at all. Everyone one else who tried them found them to be not bright either, but all thought they would be, based on what they had heard. Headphone companies need to learn to get them out to a lot of people for reviews in the beginning so you get a more balanced view. They are indeed very balanced headphones with a lovely low end that is not too boosted but engaging. I hope to get one for review soon. For the price they are amazing - given my limited time with them.

Cheers.

May 2, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #995 of 3,265
This is the problem with one or two assessments being taken as gospel - a headphone gets a reputation before a lot of people heard it. At a recent meet I tried them, they are not bright at all. Everyone one else who tried them found them to be not bright either, but all thought they would be, based on what they had heard. Headphone companies need to learn to get them out to a lot of people for reviews in the beginning so you get a more balanced view. They are indeed very balanced headphones with a lovely low end that is not too boosted but engaging. I hope to get one for review soon. For the price they are amazing - given my limited time with them.

Cheers.

Begging your pardon, but in my review I didn't state the highs were bright, or the overall sound was bright. I called them warm. These are not a "bright" IEM to me, such as the Dunu Titan 1 is. I very much like my P1's. Warm and inviting is what I might call them.

Good luck, they are quite good!

May 2, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #996 of 3,265
Begging your pardon, but in my review I didn't state the highs were bright, or the overall sound was bright. I called them warm. These are not a "bright" IEM to me, such as the Dunu Titan 1 is. I very much like my P1's. Warm and inviting is what I might call them.

I wasn't referring to your review at all. :beerchug:

I agree with your findings. But the damage was somehow done before that, not with reviews and maybe not even in this site.

Cheers.

May 2, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #997 of 3,265

Cheers.

Agree with @Koolpep. As mentioned earlier, I went into these expecting them to be too bright for me based on what I'd read and was pleasantly surprised that they nice and smooth.

+100000

From reading the entire thread I was initially under the impression that the P1 would be bright as well. Full disclosure I got a review discount on the P1, and after reading impressions alluding the P1 to be too bright for some I came very close to cancelling my order (came close twice actually lol). But boy am I glad I didn't! Just goes to show you that you really do have to hear things for yourself at the end of day 

beerchug.gif

Has anyone found any particular dac or amp to really synzergize well with the P1?

May 2, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #998 of 3,265

Cheers.

Definitely, this hobby is rife with biases from early impressions.  It's the  main reason researching headphones is so frustrating and time-consuming, but it's also why meets are so much fun and finding the perfect fit for your sonic tastes is just...pure euphoria. =)

Agree with @Koolpep. As mentioned earlier, I went into these expecting them to be too bright for me based on what I'd read and was pleasantly surprised that they nice and smooth.

Smooth is the key word I'm looking for. So close to getting them!

Just read your review, and it was very helpful! In my experience, the two main problems headphones have with treble is "thinness" (e.g. Beyerdynamics, Grados) or hardness (many planars). From your review, it seems the P1 seems to have issues with the former. Maybe this is what's leading to people characterizing these as bright.

May 2, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #999 of 3,265
Maybe because someone read me saying P1 sounded quite like my modded HD800 and automatically implied that P1 is bright?

Let me clear this up now. P1 never sounded bright to me. My modded HD800 is not bright sounding can either.

I was just complimenting how P1 sounded so spacious and detailed for an IEM.

May 2, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #1,001 of 3,265
Finally got these last week after a crazy battle with customs over their ludicrous charges (Seriously, who pays $50 in customs charges for an IEM?)

With all the recent talk about them sounding "bright," I'm gonna have to go with the "not bright" crowd -- they're smooth as silk across the whole frequency range. Absolutely sublime.

May 2, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #1,002 of 3,265
Maybe because someone read me saying P1 sounded quite like my modded HD800 and automatically implied that P1 is bright?

Let me clear this up now. P1 never sounded bright to me. My modded HD800 is not bright sounding can either.

I was just complimenting how P1 sounded so spacious and detailed for an IEM.

Nope. It was early impressions. Can't really pinpoint where, but I remember thinking that these would be too bright until I saw SGS liked them. Pretty sure he's more sensitive to treble peaks than I am, so I thought I'd give them a shot.

May 2, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #1,003 of 3,265
Finally got these last week after a crazy battle with customs over their ludicrous charges (Seriously, who pays $50 in customs charges for an IEM?)

With all the recent talk about them sounding "bright," I'm gonna have to go with the "not bright" crowd -- they're smooth as silk across the whole frequency range. Absolutely sublime.
yes sublime is the word. Super smooth sound.

May 2, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #1,004 of 3,265
+100000

From reading the entire thread I was initially under the impression that the P1 would be bright as well. Full disclosure I got a review discount on the P1, and after reading impressions alluding the P1 to be too bright for some I came very close to cancelling my order (came close twice actually lol). But boy am I glad I didn't! Just goes to show you that you really do have to hear things for yourself at the end of day 

:beerchug:

Has anyone found any particular dac or amp to really synzergize well with the P1?

IMO the AK100ii synergize very well with P1. Without the need to lug an amp around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back