mechanical pencils?
Nov 17, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #16 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
I've tried a few of the more expensive mechanical pencils, however for illustration I've always vastly preferred the cheapo BICs with the 0.7mm lead. I especially like how the eraser smears rather than erases
biggrin.gif

Haha, I was always amazed at why I continued to use an eraser that not only smeared the lead but also rubbed away and often tore the actual paper.

Then this little gem came along in middleschool...

19042008er.jpg

...and boy did it sell like hotcakes.

It's a nice and smooth eraser. Things rub off in large shreads.

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #18 of 118
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...&cmArea=SEARCH

Pentel 0.7mm drafting pencil. Has one of the most durable plastic bodies I've ever seen, well built, the jaws that grip the lead are all metal, and have a fixed collet. It's the best-bang-for-your-buck mechanical pencil I've ever owned. I've purchased three in the past 10 years. One I lost, one I lost the pocket clip to, but the two I still have write as well as when they were brand new, rarely break, and have a great feel. I can see some pencils being better, but in terms of value, I can't see anyone beating the classic pentel. (and it also comes in a .5 or .9, but I like the .7)

Nov 17, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #19 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan

19042008er.jpg

Imho this is a very nice eraser for general use. I have about 5 boxes of these. So my supplies aren't running out on me anytime soon.
icon10.gif

Though when drawing and have to do some more precise work, I use those erasers that you can mold and twist into any shape in your hands. Very useful when you can mold it to sharp point like pencil, and then make it flat for erasing bigger areas.

As for pencil, I use 0.7 Pilot H-327
098a2.gif

Very durable and no rubber parts for me to lose. One I have at the moment has lasted for 5 years with me. Only thing that hase broken is that metal clip, but I did that on purpose as it was just getting in the way.
Pretty cheap too. I bought mine for 3€.

Nov 17, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #21 of 118
Had an old-style Titanium too, but it's so grimy and starting to break down. Did you know you can replace the eraser with one of those stick-eraser refill rods? I've done it sooo many times. Useful pencil, that.

Nov 17, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #22 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Had an old-style Titanium too, but it's so grimy and starting to break down. Did you know you can replace the eraser with one of those stick-eraser refill rods? I've done it sooo many times. Useful pencil, that.

Nice, i was going to replace it but its kinda wearing out, i will just get a new one.

Nov 17, 2005 at 7:21 AM Post #23 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Haha, I was always amazed at why I continued to use an eraser that not only smeared the lead but also rubbed away and often tore the actual paper.

19042008er.jpg

I was actually going to mention Staedtler. I bought a 3 pack of mechanical pencils made by this company for around 5 bucks. The tip is very nice (doesn't break lead very often) and the eraser is, of course, superb (it's also twist erase, which is convenient). There's room for improvement ergonomically but I don't write all the time so it doesn't bother me too much. They're a nice compromise between quality and price. For people who find themselves losing pencils once in a while, these are a nice alternative to Bic that you don't have to feel too guilty about leaving behind

Nov 17, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #26 of 118
I second the Twist-Erase. Excellent size and weight balance. I've had the same one for well over ten years. I hope I never get rid of that.

B

Nov 17, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #27 of 118
My fav. is the Pentel Quicker Clicker (old version without the flex grip), but the Zebra is a close second.

I favour 2B lead by the way, it seems to write darker, has smoother feel, and actually erases more completely (especially with the eraser mentioned above).

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #28 of 118
When I used to do manual drafting of architectural and engineering plans, my mechanical pencil of choice would be the Koh-I-Noor Rapidomatic fine line pencils available in lead sizes 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, or 0.9 mm:

http://www.leadholder.com/images/lea...oh-i-noor.html

The Rapidomatic is very similar to the Alvin Draft/Matic lead holder that Snake had posted ealier. The Rapidomatic is a bit on the heavy side but it felt very balanced in my hand and build quality is first class. Lines drawn with the Rapidomatic were very sharp and clear.

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #29 of 118
these are great.

I'll have to post what pencils i have sitting around at home, but I don't mind paying $10+ for a pencil with nice balance, good weight to it, and a nice feel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
When I used to do manual drafting of architectural and engineering plans, my mechanical pencil of choice would be the Koh-I-Noor Rapidomatic fine line pencils available in lead sizes 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, or 0.9 mm:

http://www.leadholder.com/images/lea...oh-i-noor.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back