mechanical pencils?
Nov 19, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #46 of 118
The smoothest writing pencil I've ever owned was the Sanford Digit, it also came in this weird red colour for all the weirdos out there. I don't know if they're still made.

I forgot what they're called, but the old Sanford Logo IV model was the sickest twist-erase ever, they had models I-IV, the IV was like the super-pencil and then the PhD came out and probably it's equivalent. *I found it: office depot That was a cool pencil but I didn't like that after a while the grip started to slip off...and it didn't write as well but I think it's better than the PhD.

The Technician and T II are nice pencils, but too precision-oriented for everyday-use.

Nov 19, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #47 of 118
If you like those drafting pencils with gnurled grips, Pentel's Graphgear 500 and 1000 series are pretty awesome. A bit hard to find in the U.S. though...I picked up a .3 and .5 of the 500s the last time I was in Hong Kong.

But...WHAT'S THIS???

DSC_4942.JPG

SPM1505SINST.jpg

Holy cow, now THAT is a mechanical pencil!
eek.gif
The Ohto Super Promecha has gotta be the most bad@ss mechanical pencil I've seen to date. MUST...GET...NOW!

Nov 19, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #48 of 118
I loved writing w/ mechanical pencil. I used to have a pentel one. It's pretty good. I'm using rotring right now. My bestfriend bought me from s'pore. It's like the one below however I got the granite kind instead of Silver. The best looking pencil I had so far

PRODSIMAGE_7_6602.jpg

edit: the picture itself is a ballpen however my granite mech pencil looks the same

Nov 20, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #49 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
If you like those drafting pencils with gnurled grips, Pentel's Graphgear 500 and 1000 series are pretty awesome. A bit hard to find in the U.S. though...I picked up a .3 and .5 of the 500s the last time I was in Hong Kong.

But...WHAT'S THIS???

ohto_pm-1505s.jpg

SPM1505SINST.jpg

Holy cow, now THAT is a mechanical pencil!
eek.gif
The Ohto Super Promecha has gotta be the most bad@ss mechanical pencil I've seen to date. MUST...GET...NOW!

OK, you win.
biggrin.gif
That's the Pencil-Fi winner right there.

Nov 20, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #50 of 118
More like the Barrett Light-Fifty of pencils right there. It's got so many adjustments it puts a bench saw to shame!

How much is it?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 22, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #52 of 118
Almost within my limits for Pencil-Fi. Maybe after I get that vintage system set up...

Nov 22, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #53 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Check the link below:

http://www.jetpens.com/index.php/cPath/45_109

Ouch. $32 for a pencil. Are those features worth it? Well, for me, it's a definite no. (1. I don't do pencils much... PENS all the way! and 2. I lose all my pens/pencils within a three month span)
However, check out their Hi-tec .3mm Pens. It's rare for me to find a pen that I absolutley LOVE and I love those. Stocking up on them these days (you know, for when I lose a few
biggrin.gif
)

Nov 22, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #54 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by w1ned
Ouch. $32 for a pencil. Are those features worth it? Well, for me, it's a definite no. (1. I don't do pencils much... PENS all the way! and 2. I lose all my pens/pencils within a three month span)
However, check out their Hi-tec .3mm Pens. It's rare for me to find a pen that I absolutley LOVE and I love those. Stocking up on them these days (you know, for when I lose a few
biggrin.gif
)

For me I wouldn't spend that much, I'm more than happy with using my Rapidomatics when I was using them regularly. Sure I have mechancal pencils in my collection are are more expensive than the Rapidmatics or the Ohto Super Promecha and has just as much features but none of them felt as good or did a job better in my hands than the Rapidomatics. Also it would definitely hurt if one were to loose or have a Promecha stolen from them. Heck I've lost and had my fair share of Rapidomatics stolen from me and let me tell you it stung.

Nov 22, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #55 of 118
rotring-600_body4.jpg

rotring-600_2.jpg

rotring-600_4.jpg

ROTRING!! anybody seen those? i had rotring tikki(?) penceils in school - they were the best design and also expensive compared to others.
last year i bought a black Rotring series 600 mechanical pencil. superb! wish i had it in school. heavy and solid - feels like a writing instrument.

May 25, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #56 of 118
hey all, back with an update:

I've got two pencils right now, one's the twist-erase (I'm a student, and eraser is up at the top of my list of requirements) using 0.7 lead. Through a friend I've also gotten hold of a Zebra M-402 with 0.5 lead.

I have a question though: whenever I use the zebra, the lead seems to break inside the pencil, into pieces about half a centimeter long. Does this have something to do with my grip, or am I writing too hard because I'm used to 0.7 lead? The 0.5 is 2B, which is the hardest lead out there, I think. I'd dismiss it as writing too hard if the lead kept breaking once it was outside the pencil itself, but that's not the case. Any insights?

thanks again for the help in this thread

May 25, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #57 of 118
for graphing pencils, I got a pair of Staedtler mechs. built finely and writes like a pro. when I'm just fooling around, I got a box of those BIC pencils laying around.

May 25, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #58 of 118
Another vote for the Zebra M402! Been using them since I found one in grade eight (five years now), and I haven't looked back. I've probably gone through a dozen since then between losing them (frequently) and breaking the odd one (the tips are prone to failure if you really abuse them like I do), but overall they've held up rather well, they tend not to break the lead too much, and they're quite comfortable to write with. As long as you have a seperate eraser with you (I don't write without one), the M402 is a great pencil.

That said... the prospect of a 0.3mm pencil has really intrigued me. I'll have to see what Staples has to offer along those lines.

May 25, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #59 of 118
i hate every writing utensil except for the uniball .3mm(has to be the .3mm, no bigger) micro black ink pen, omg this pen is GOD among all writing instruments. pick yourself up a pack and thank me later.

May 25, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #60 of 118
dr grip pencils are nice, i've always like pencils that advance the lead when u shake em

i live in a city with lots of asian influence, so nice things like writing utensils are only 5 minutes away

Users who are viewing this thread

Back