mechanical pencils?
May 26, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #76 of 118
Head-fiers penci of choice.
biggrin.gif
But really, we're all responsible people and would never compromise our diet for our hobby.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 27, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #78 of 118
I posted about my Twist-Erase that I had for almost ten years. It was all black, I shaved hte clip off and sanded the outside for a better grip a couple times. I took off the spongy grip and replaced it with a bigger cushier one. I used to buy great eraser refils and shave them down to fit inside the short barrel.

I lost it and I kick myself for misplacing it. no one will ever appreciate that pen more than I did. I'll never find one like it again.

Twist erase is the best pencil on the planet. I'll look for it for a very long time.

May 27, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #79 of 118
Well, I happened to mention to my parents that I wanted to head over to staples to pick up a mechanical pencil, as I was desperately in need of something to write with.

My mom mentions she may have some laying around.

She then proceeds to give me this very nice Cross mechanical pencil.
She had a 2 piece set, too, but she didn't want to give that to me. It was brand new, and I doubt she would want me to possibly lose that.

Well, I've never used a mechanical pencil like this. It uses a twist method for lead, which I like a lot more compared to the button type ones.

Now I have to be careful not to lose this thing! I usually don't lose things, but I'm gonna be extra careful now.

Apr 7, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #80 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like those drafting pencils with gnurled grips, Pentel's Graphgear 500 and 1000 series are pretty awesome. A bit hard to find in the U.S. though...I picked up a .3 and .5 of the 500s the last time I was in Hong Kong.

But...WHAT'S THIS???

DSC_4942.JPG

SPM1505SINST.jpg

Holy cow, now THAT is a mechanical pencil!
eek.gif
The Ohto Super Promecha has gotta be the most bad@ss mechanical pencil I've seen to date. MUST...GET...NOW!

Bump to tell y'all that I got this pencil recently. This is a really nice pencil. What I like most about it is that it is tip heavy with really good overall weight. While the adjustability is a little frivolous it feels good knowing that my pencil has more features than all the rest.
biggrin.gif
I only wish it came with something other than a plastic sleeve case so I could give it as a gift.

Apr 7, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #81 of 118
I've tried a few Japanese Pentel pencils during the times I've been in Japan and have GraphGear 500 in .3mm and .5mm. I've also tried Staedtler Mars Pencils. However, by far, my FAVORITE are Alvin DRAFT/MATIC.

I've put these guys through tough times over the years, dropping, sitting, rolling over with chairs, and many many hours of frenzied late night work with pizza grease on my hands. (about 3 years of engineering w/ 15 hrs HW a week) The weight is substantial and they are built to last. Inside the black and yellow plastic is a steel tube. It's strong, there have been many occasions where I thought it would bend...

A pic: AlvinBlack = .5mm Yellow = .3mm. Pentel Graphgear 500 .3mm .5mm, A Staedtler eraser in the background, modified with duct tape for stability.
DSC_1215sm.jpg

Random link to a place that sells em
http://www.dickblick.com/zz206/22/

Apr 7, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #83 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, we've had the Koss and marshmallows of the pencil world... how about an Orpheus.
biggrin.gif

78021_big.jpg

Parker Duofold Pinstripe Chocolate Pencil

List Price: $500.00

That's pretty nice but can you adjust the guide pipe length and how much lead comes out with each push. Until then I claim the Ohto as the best pencil in the world.
redface.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #85 of 118
I'm a pencil fanatic. My personal favs are the Uni-ball Alpha Gel (suggested by flamerz), Paper-Mate PhD pencil, and the Zebra 402. All are comfy in their own rights.

Pics:
Alpha Gel
DSCF0006.jpg

PhD:
26761.jpg

Apr 7, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #86 of 118
Faber-Castell TK-Fine Vario L 0.9/1.0
77fe_10.JPG

or for a cheaper one

Pentel 120 Automatic Pencil
a300-range.jpg

or my favorite regular pencil

Osiris lyra triangle
osiris_tri.jpg

Tombow Mono One Mini Twist Eraser
tombow_eh-ssm.jpg

Kokuyo KadoKeshi 28-corner eraser
p_kokeshi.jpg

Don't Forget Your Moleskines
B00069DKYI.01-A3TRSBU2HBQE28._SCLZZZZZZZ_V46928823_AA280_.jpg

Apr 7, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #87 of 118
These are my 2 more precious ones, I think one was a gift of sorts, so the only 2 I haven't lost.

I haven't used either in a long time as I lose stationary very quickly.

Couldn't find good pics as they are sort of cheap, expensive to me though. I don't mind that much I lost a 5 pack of biros in the past month, need to buy a few packs to replace one of these.

Faber Castell TK-Fine 9715
attachment.php

Papermate Logo II
attachment.php

That one has this kinda cool extendable eraser with plenty of meat left on it.

Apr 7, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #89 of 118
Me, I love the Pentel P205 pencils. Simple thick plastic barrel, capable of withstanding a firm grip without creaking, smooth lead ejection, excellent (albeit small eraser) and hits just that sweet spot in price where you can justify buying several at a time and justify buying more if you lose them down the road. I snagged 3 of them back when I started at Uni and still have all three right by my side.

Apr 7, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #90 of 118
0.5mm lead mechanical pencils are meant for drafting. The line weight can't be modulated much, and they snap annoyingly often. The Faber-Castell e-motion has a 1.4mm lead that is near unbreakable, is much more expressive on paper, and its bullet shape with a warm wood barrel is much more pleasant to hold than plastic or metal.

showimg.aspx

Faber-Castell used to make the TK-matic and Alpha-matic, 0.5mm mechanical pencils with an automatic advance mechanism, but sadly they are discontinued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back