mechanical pencils?
May 25, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #61 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
Alvin Draft/Matic
To get nice balance of lead functionality and (great!) eraser the other pencil I've really liked is the Pentel Twist Erase

TwistErase.jpg

A very good mechanical pencil, with excellent grip shape, integrated with a long mechanical twist eraser. This is probably the perfect combo of useability. About $4.

I love these. These are the ones I use, but in .7 lead. I like the extra line width.

May 25, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #62 of 118
Damn I so want one of those promecha pencils. Unfortunately I lose pens and pencils like crazy. Set them down somehwre at work and forget about them. I might as well take $20 out of my wallet and throw it out the window tomorrow on my morning commute. That will have about the same effect.

May 25, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #63 of 118
Best mechanical pencil ever. I've had two of these. First I had the black one, then I decided to buy the orange one with a matching notebook :p. I sold my black one. They also make pen versions of this, and trust me, you won't be disappointed with it. There's an asian bookstore in the heart of Chinatown here in Seattle that carries these. I don't know where you live, but if any of you Head-Fiers are around here, come check it out. It's the bookstore in Uwajimaya.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I've never gotten a hand cramp with these pencils/pens. If I write for about three minutes straight with a normal, wood pencil, my hand will start getting sore because of my terrible positioning of the pencil, but the extremely soft, silicone grip, it just feels good.

May 25, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #64 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by chillysalsa
My fav. is the Pentel Quicker Clicker (old version without the flex grip), but the Zebra is a close second.

I favour 2B lead by the way, it seems to write darker, has smoother feel, and actually erases more completely (especially with the eraser mentioned above).

I'm suprised someone actually agrees with me. I had those all through grade school. I actually had one of the aqua-ish colored .5mm quicker clickers for about 7 years before I lost it
mad.gif
. I then tried to look for an exact replacement only to find they only make the ones with the grip now. I'm pretty pissed.

May 25, 2006 at 2:37 PM Post #66 of 118
I have used many mechanical pens, always amazed me how expensive they were here for an oversize Sumo grip pen - it's $12 a piece, and it's all rubber and plastic... I always try to find them locally, but often give up, i think the parker jotter pencils were excellent pens... cheap too. ok eraser.... but you need a proper large one anyway...
tongue.gif

May 25, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #67 of 118
I'm using staedtler 925-25 in black

http://www.staedtler.co.jp/products/...cil/index.html

Although I have an older version without 25 suffix and they are in black. Very nice, never had a lead break and they are very sturdy, half metal half plastic, however plastic part is pretty sturdy. Bought them at officedepot at $12 for two (0.5 and 0.7). Had them for two years, and like them. The only bad part is I wish they were all metal and the paint wasn't coming off so easily. But I guess for an everyday pencil it's expected.

Still those Ohto Super Promecha look very nice. I don't like the design, but may get one for my sis since she is into drawing.

May 25, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #68 of 118
41_1_b.JPG

Pentel P205 0.5mm is my choice. Been using them since middle school (15 years).

38187.jpg

I also have the Koh-I-Noor Rapidomatic in 0.3mm and 0.5mm. I dont like them for handwriting but for drafting work they are nice.

925wp3.gif

I bought some Staedtler 925 pencils from staples, but I hated them right off the bat.They felt really cheap.

250559.jpg

I also like the Pentel click eraser, been using them for a long time. But nothing beats the....

EB988786_electric-eraser-white.gif

Koh-I-Noor Rapidomatic electric eraser. 50 watts .5 amps of pure erasing power. Drafting brush and eraser shield not included, lol.

May 25, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #69 of 118
Yup, I have one of those Koh-I-Noor Rapidomatic electric eraser except mines has a steel collet to grip the eraser instead of a plastic one. I also have several vintage Bruning electric erasers with steel outer body and collet. Only thing I didn't like about the lexan bodied electric erasers is that if they fell off of your desk and hit the ground, chances are good that you will crack the body.

I agree that the Rapidomatic do make some sharp and crisp lines when doing manual drafting but they can be a bit uncomfortable for everyday writing. Which reminds me I haven't done manual drafting in ages, time to dig up some of my drafting tools and blow the dust off.

May 26, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #70 of 118
Solidworks is my "Mechanical Pencil" of choice!
very_evil_smiley.gif

If my company made me go "back to the board" for drawings, I'd quit.

May 26, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #72 of 118
Oh man, quite possibly the nicest mechanical pencils ive ever owned were the Pentel Graphgear 1000s, used it for a while for paper drafting, then started using CAD, not even sure where those pencils are now..

graphgear-1000-range.jpg

May 26, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #73 of 118
i used a 0.5mm Dr Grip for a year until i somehow lost the eraser thing, which sucks because this pencil is awesome and you need the eraser thing to advance the lead. even though i found the thing on the ground last year, i was pretty upset (over a pencil!
eek.gif
)... i'm currently using a clickster grip 0.7mm and this just isn't the same. plus, the lead is so much wider that my writing looks like arse

May 26, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #74 of 118
I recently bought a Lamy Safari 0.5mm pencil for $8 which has a plastic body but a nice feel and positive action on the click mechanism. Plus a spring loaded clip and retractable tip.

1762_1512_popup.png

May 26, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #75 of 118

Users who are viewing this thread

Back