MDR-V6/7506 impressions
Jul 11, 2001 at 2:33 PM Post #16 of 56
I wouldn't worry at all about bass with the V6/7506. It goes as deep as any phone I've heard. What it isn't is "boomy" which some mistake as good bass. The bass is extremely smooth and powerful, to my ears.

If the z900 is the same as the V900 then I'd rather listen to a set of Bose noise cancelling phones. I had the V900's at one time and was surprised by the muddy, colored midrange and the overall lack of any redeeming quality. They look pretty cool though! Its sad because when I go to the local Mars music, they actively promote the V900 as the "UPGRADE" *cough*dowgrade*cough to the 7506/V6.
eek.gif

Jul 11, 2001 at 4:06 PM Post #17 of 56
Wayne's right. I've still not heard a set o'phones that can reach down as deep as the 7506/V6's -- that provide as much useable real bass. If you get a chance to listen to a pair on a good rig with some music you're familiar with with a lot of low bass content, you'll likely hear things happening in the music with them that none of your other headphones have shown you. Across the my entire audible range, they're pretty revealing phones.

Jul 11, 2001 at 4:57 PM Post #18 of 56
Quote:

I wouldn't worry at all about bass with the V6/7506. It goes as deep as any phone I've heard. What it isn't is "boomy" which some mistake as good bass. The bass is extremely smooth and powerful, to my ears.

That's pretty accurate -- the V6/7506 definitely have deep bass. But it is *not* in any way, shape, or form "boomy." So if your idea of "good" bass is boomy bass (not saying it is, only if it is
wink.gif
), you'll be disappointed.

Jul 11, 2001 at 4:59 PM Post #19 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
That's pretty accurate -- the V6/7506 definitely have deep bass. But it is *not* in any way, shape, or form "boomy." So if your idea of "good" bass is boomy bass (not saying it is, only if it is
wink.gif
), you'll be disappointed.

Precisely.

Jul 11, 2001 at 6:00 PM Post #20 of 56
"HUGE" bass is an inaccuracy. However, if "HUGE" bass is your goal, I still recommend using the MDR-V6/7506 (which has among the BEST, most extended bass of ANY headphones), and using the bass boost on your portable cd/md/mp3 player to bring the bass up to "HUGE" proportions. Since you're starting with CLEAN bass, with no resonances, your resulting "HUGE" bass will end up sounding better than if you bought headphones with a huge bass peak, and the resulting problems associated with it. Although I NEVER use bass boost on the V6 (why the hell would I when I'm getting the BEST bass response available?), if "HUGE" bass is your goal, the V6 IS capable of reproducing it, if you boost the bass at the source!

Jul 12, 2001 at 1:17 AM Post #22 of 56
That's right, Mike Walker - what the ****** are people listening to? Boomy, muddy, crappy, resonance-laden bass?
eek.gif
Anyway, if you use Mega Bass(tm) on those MDR-V6's (or MDR-7506's), they'll still sound better than most headphones that are boomy to begin with.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2001 at 5:44 PM Post #24 of 56
which of the two represent a better value for sound quality:grado SR80 or sonyV6
don't care if there closed or open.Just wanna know which has better bass,mids,treble,soundstage etc..

Jul 15, 2001 at 5:27 AM Post #25 of 56
Quote:

which of the two represent a better value for sound quality:grado SR80 or sonyV6
don't care if there closed or open.Just wanna know which has better bass,mids,treble,soundstage etc..

Depends. As I wrote in my review above, the V6 is more flat/accurate, while the Grado is clearly not. However, I prefer the sound of the Grados -- because of their response, they just sound more warm and lively.

The V6 have deeper bass response, but it's very tight. The Grado's don't go as low, but they often *feel* like they have more bass because their upper-bass is a bit more pronounced -- the result is that they often feel like they have more "oomph."

The Grado's *clearly* have better soundstage -- the V6 don't really have great soundstaging. Part of this is surely due to the fact that the V6 are closed. However, I think the Sony's have better sound positioning (better for gaming).

Overall, if I could only have one pair, I'd take the SR60s any day (if you're not going to use a headphone amp, I'd even take them over the SR80s). However, if you need isolation, the V6 are the way to go. If you're going to be using them a lot for gaming, you should really give them both a try. The Sony's have better positioning, but the Grado's give your games more life.

Nov 12, 2001 at 6:53 AM Post #27 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
I have heard that the Beyer 250-80's have deeper bass then the Sony V6's. Here is the link: http://music.multimedian.com/reviews/beyerdt250.html

a1leyez0nm3,

Whoah! Talk about bringing up an old thread!
wink.gif

Regarding the 250 vs. 7506/V6 comment, I can't say much about it as I've not heard the 250's.

I'm know there are some folks here who have, and would likely comment.

Nov 12, 2001 at 7:00 AM Post #28 of 56
exactly what I am waiting for; I have a pair of EX-70's that I use mostly, and some HD500's that I want to sell and get either V6's or Beyer 250's, because well, you know.. I have listened to some V6's at my church for a little while, and they do have very deeeeep bass, but I am a little "offended" if I may say, by the bright treble. I have a bit of a dillema though, my ex-70s seem to be opening up the hole for my ear, it's kinda scary~!
frown.gif
Maybe it's just me, but I am still a little concerned....
confused.gif

Nov 12, 2001 at 7:18 AM Post #29 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I haven't heard it, but HeadRoom recommends the AKG K401 pretty enthusiastically for this application:They're on sale for $119. Only downside is that they really require an amp.

The 401's are not good phones for huge (bloated) bass lovers.
They tend to be much more accurate on the bass region and those looking for blooming bass find them on the dry side. They do require a good amp to sound their best.

I would imagine that the Beyer DT-770s might be more like what you're looking for.

Happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2001 at 7:30 AM Post #30 of 56
Regarding the DT-250's vs the 7506's...

The Beyers sound to me less analytical than the Sony's. They're slightly more accurate top to bottom, and octave to octave balance. They are more extended in their bass response than the Sony's (they go deeper) and have greater impact in general. While doing all of this, they are more pleasant to listen to than the Sony's for extended periods of time. All of the differences that I just pointed out are more on the subtle side rather than overt. Both the Sonys and the Beyers are good cans, but the Beyers are better. Neruda recently published a review of the Beyers...Neruda's DT-250 review
Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back