MD33S or EX51/71
Oct 12, 2004 at 8:55 AM Post #31 of 37
I'm gonna go with the 71's...
etysmile.gif

Oct 12, 2004 at 11:48 AM Post #33 of 37
sharp md33 for me. the mid-range is much better than the ex71, which i also have. the ex71 sounds more muddy with its boomy bass. the ex71 is not a bad pair of everyday phones tho.
icon10.gif

Oct 13, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by guppi
If you use the 4 pole plug in a normal headphone jack, you will only hear one channel. So you need to either use the included adaptor/extension cord or modify the plug by some soldering (as I did).

I have MD33s and they're excellent, but I would love to get rid of the extension cord. Did you clip the old plug and attach a new one? Or did you solder the existing plug from 4->3 poles? Which ones?

Oct 13, 2004 at 8:22 AM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by doni
I have MD33s and they're excellent, but I would love to get rid of the extension cord. Did you clip the old plug and attach a new one? Or did you solder the existing plug from 4->3 poles? Which ones?

They are excellent indeed. I soldered the existing plug and just described it in a new thread.

Sharps in the lead! Go MD33!
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #36 of 37
i just got a pair of EX51s (same as EX71, but without the extension) and my initial impression is that the midrange is flatter and the bass much heavier than my MD33s, as people have written. i haven't properly burned them in yet, so I'll make a fairer assessment later. I will add that while they seem to fit my ears better, they seem to offer slightly less noise reduction (but with less microphonics) and the same degree of isolation as the MD33s. the MD33s, with their crisper midrange and lighter bass, are enjoyable at a lower volume level; i've found myself cranking the EX51s a bit higher, searching for better clarity, which causes the sharp highs to lean toward headache-inducement. the biggest positive over the MD33s besides the fit is not having to use a 1m 4-pole -> 3-pole adapter. however, based on my experience so far, I certainly find myself preferring the MD33s. I'll allow the EX51s to burn in some, though, before i offer a conclusive opinion.

Oct 26, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #37 of 37
I have both the ex71 and the md33s and I prefer the sharp. the sony's bass to me seems too flabby and boomy and the sharp seems to be more even in midrange and treble response. the sonys sit in a drawer in my house (with a pair of kloss plugs). that said, the sony's are decent sounding phones, I could understand some prefering its sound. regards, tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back