MD33S or EX51/71
Sep 24, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 37
Sound, MD33s, even though I haven't tried them.

I didn't like the sound of the EX51 or EX71 at all. The Sharps have to be better.

The EX51s will be more comfortable than the EX71s/MD33s because you won't have to use an adaptor or connector cable.

I would not purchase the EX51s/EX71s again.

Go for the MD33s.

Listening to: "Time" by Sarah McLachlan on my ATH-A900s.

Sep 24, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 37
Haven't tried the Sharps so I am not qualified to vote.

I can give you some comments on the EX71SLs though, since I used them for quite a while.

The sound quality wasn't bad, I thought. If you're looking for something that'll get you through casual use without fear of damage, these should be a good compromise. The bass is incredibly strong, something I liked in the beginning, and despised in the end (I found that as my time with Head-Fi increased, my love for over-emphasized bass decreased). Some find the bass too boomy and exaggerated right off the bat -- I can understand, although I thought it wasn't too big of a turn-off. These are meant to be fun headphones tuned for the general crowd (i.e. people that listen to mainstream music such as pop and rap) to listen to, and they do do a good job with that purpose in mind. The fit is extremely comfortable, to a point where I feel I can safely say that they are the most comfortable pair of earphones I have encountered. Value-wise, it really depends on how much you can buy them for. I've heard that they're going for some pretty cheap prices nowadays, so you probably won't be breaking the bank for a pair of these.

As has been said before, however, some users that have had both prefer the Sharps, so you'll definitely want to look into that possibility as you are now. My personal feel is that if you do go for the Sony's, you shouldn't be too disappointed.

Good luck with your search and happy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 37
For me on the EX71s:

Rock is fine 99% of the time.

Classical I really and truly find myself enjoying on these. They are far from the best, mind you, but I do like them for it.

Opera, I haven't tried (not an opera fan at all), but I will say that some of the really high singing may get a little daunting on them, but I can't say for sure.

IMO, I really like the EX71s at $33 (from amazon), and IMO I probably wouldn't upgrade to the $50 (audiocubes inc shipping) MD33's should my Sonys somehow need replacing. I should also note that I haven't heard the MD33's and I'm "frugal" especially when it comes to something I figure I'll break/lose (like headphones I use to cut grass, the EX71s).

Sep 25, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 37
MikoLayer has suggested me Koss the Plug mod which I might try. I know most of you say they suck, but I still wanna give it a go. Ill still get one of the above though...

So the Ex71's are suitable for mowing the lawn? What 'bout the MD33S?

Sep 25, 2004 at 7:13 AM Post #7 of 37
The Plug is sutable for doing the lawn, if you intend to throw your 'phones under the mower. I know MikoLayer likes them and that's cool, but I'm telling you, it's a real low-percentage chance you're taking with a dozen dollars or so. You probably won't like them. I'd recommend buying a lotto ticket and hoping to win enough to buy the MD33's...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Minimum
The Plug is sutable for doing the lawn, if you intend to throw your 'phones under the mower. I know MikoLayer likes them and that's cool, but I'm telling you, it's a real low-percentage chance you're taking with a dozen dollars or so. You probably won't like them. I'd recommend buying a lotto ticket and hoping to win enough to buy the MD33's...
smily_headphones1.gif

I have sufficient funds to purchase the MD33S.

Oh yeah..a dozen dollars..KSC-50's are that much ($12) on Amazon.com and some other stores yet they rival headphones much more expensive.

Sep 26, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #9 of 37
Do the MD33S come with more than one ear peice? I know the ex71 comes with 3 different sizes which makes them a good choice for buying my pa some canal phones for aeroplane flights.. i wouldn't wanna get him the md33s to find out that they dont fit well. The ex71s are very comfortable.

also, is the 4 polar plug thing any problem when using a normal device? does it need a convertor or is it hapy to work on a standard headphone jack?

Sep 26, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #10 of 37
I think that the EX71 with the large tips eliminate the bass bloat, and actually sound pretty respectible. I've had them just over a week and I've got about 20 hours on them and every time I pop them in I'm reminded that it's a good investment (over my senn MX400). They just sound better.

The medium tips liquify the brain on me though with the excessive bass.

Sep 26, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Mac
I think that the EX71 with the large tips eliminate the bass bloat, and actually sound pretty respectible. I've had them just over a week and I've got about 20 hours on them and every time I pop them in I'm reminded that it's a good investment (over my senn MX400). They just sound better.

The medium tips liquify the brain on me though with the excessive bass.

i highly recommend staying away from ety 4p/s + claasical/jazz combination if you value your headphones and wallet...

i ended up with a phatty hole.

Sep 26, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
Do the MD33S come with more than one ear peice? I know the ex71 comes with 3 different sizes which makes them a good choice for buying my pa some canal phones for aeroplane flights.. i wouldn't wanna get him the md33s to find out that they dont fit well. The ex71s are very comfortable.

also, is the 4 polar plug thing any problem when using a normal device? does it need a convertor or is it hapy to work on a standard headphone jack?

You may want to visit Audio Cubes or Sharp's site to check me on this, but I believe they also come with three sizes for the tips and a converter for a standard jack.

Sep 26, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #13 of 37
Bashing the EX71s seems to be a popular passtime around here. They're good consumer grade, not audiophile grade, but I like them. The bass is a little bit strong, but it's not too bad. The detail is pretty good - much better than Shure E3s - but they're a bit veiled compared with the likes of the A900/CD3K. For the price they're great value. Maybe the MD33s are better, but the EX71s aren't bad at all. The only think I don't like is the stupid extension cord system, which the cheaper EX51s don't have, but apparently they are the same otherwise.

Another thing I see a lot of in this thread is "I haven't used the MD33 but they must be better". The original poster could have made that guess themselves, having a bunch of other people guessing doesn't help at all.

Sep 26, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #14 of 37
lol i'm not bashing the sony mdr71. like you said in your post, they're just two different catagories. i tempted fate, ended up with a smaller wallet and a sister with a big grin on her face for scoring a free pair of mdr71s. before the purchase, i thought the mdr's were awesome. in fact the best ear plugs. Thanks to this team Hi-fi'ers... my curiousity has changed my views on what i can hear and what i can't.

there still has been some times when i would have prefered my mdrs over my etys (loud azz techno, hip hop and rap).

in short... ignorance is quite blissful (plus my wallet is a lot happier)
etysmile.gif

Sep 26, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
Bashing the EX71s seems to be a popular passtime around here. They're good consumer grade, not audiophile grade, but I like them. The bass is a little bit strong, but it's not too bad. The detail is pretty good - much better than Shure E3s - but they're a bit veiled compared with the likes of the A900/CD3K. For the price they're great value. Maybe the MD33s are better, but the EX71s aren't bad at all. The only think I don't like is the stupid extension cord system, which the cheaper EX51s don't have, but apparently they are the same otherwise.

Another thing I see a lot of in this thread is "I haven't used the MD33 but they must be better". The original poster could have made that guess themselves, having a bunch of other people guessing doesn't help at all.

I own the E3s and really like 'em. In that way I really diverge from most of commando's posts about them. That said, I am 100% in agreement with the assertion that if you haven't heard a product you have no business judging the same. If someone doesn't like the Sony's then they can say that, nothing comparative about a product they've not heard. And I will concur with MaxMinimum about the Koss Plugs - owned them for a couple of years before arriving here at HeadFi, thought I had a pretty nice product....Sheesh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back