MD Sennheiser electrostatic mini-meet
Oct 17, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #31 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
So the amp is named after the dude who tried to violate Orpheus' wife? What exactly is Justin trying to suggest?

Yeah, you'd think the amp should instead be named for a gal/guy who wanted to kill Orpheus' wife so SHE/HE could become Orpheus' new lover - now that would be more appropriate, and still a Greek Tragedy!
icon10.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #32 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
which is not in the realm of possibility considering the Euridice is widely recognised as a quality preamp and is not only built widely but used in many systems of extremely high quality,many the match of the ultimate available at any price.

Ah, I meant the death of the name, not of the amp that currently has the name!

And the literal replacement of the HEV90 as the pairing for the HE90 as an analogy, not that other pre-amp. Oi, my naming parallels are getting confused!

Oct 17, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #33 of 82
Quote:

And the literal replacement of the HEV90 as the pairing for the HE90 as an analogy, not that other pre-amp. Oi, my naming parallels are getting confused!

Understandable.That is why using close to "clone naming" not a good idea.Way too much confusion around here as it is without adding to it.
wink.gif

BTW-I happen to use a version of the Euridice as my system gain stage
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #34 of 82
Instead of being derivative and "the other wife" or the jealous lover of Orpheus' wife, why not go for someone just as bad-ass with the lyre? No, not Apollo, the God of Music - no one can hang with his golden lyre. But what about Amphion?

"The god Hermes taught Amphion music and gave him a beautiful golden lyre. Both brothers were supposed to have build the walls of Thebes, while Amphion played his lyre. The magic of his music caused the stones to move into place on their own accord."
amphion.jpg

"I Get All the Babes!"

Oct 17, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #36 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Instead of being derivative and "the other wife" or the jealous lover of Orpheus' wife, why not go for someone just as bad-ass with the lyre? No, not Apollo, the God of Music - no one can hang with his golden lyre. But what about Amphion?

www.amphion.fi

Manufacturers of quality loudspeakers
wink.gif

/JF

Oct 17, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #37 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiiEf
www.amphion.fi

Manufacturers of quality loudspeakers
wink.gif

/JF

Bah! i'm sure amphion wouldn't mind this amp, since they do speakers and...well...hmm maybe it IS too close still, rats!

Oct 17, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #38 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
They are naked too! Now that's a dude to name an amp after!

Hmmm, let me think, why is it we don't have more women around here... scratches head!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #39 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Hmmm, let me think, why is it we don't have more women around here... scratches head!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Amphion is a hottie, I'm sure all the ladies love him! L.L. Cool A! That'll sell amps!

Oct 18, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #40 of 82
Looks like you guys had a great time, four Senn electrostats in one room cant be a bad thing. Stevio, sitting on HE90, wow. Dont you know they are supposed to be worn over the ears? Looking at the new amp, it looks pretty sweet, and that torroidal is immense, but I am a bit suprised at seeing the Alps RK27 in there, not what I would have expected.

Oct 18, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #41 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole
I am a bit suprised at seeing the Alps RK27 in there, not what I would have expected.

That's something Justin is still finalizing. He's also considered using the DACT but then that might introduce issues also since it only has 24 steps.

Oct 18, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #42 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
That's something Justin is still finalizing. He's also considered using the DACT but then that might introduce issues also since it only has 24 steps.

How about a 100+ step digitally controlled ladder stepped attenutator, with a nice rotary encoder to control volume, so relays, instead of manual switches, make the connections. I agree that the DACT with 24 steps isnt enough for dialing in the volume as precisely as I like, but I do find it amazing that you found Justin's amp with the RK27 to be as good or better than anything on the market, its a good pot, but I didnt think it would be regarded that highly.

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #43 of 82
I've been speaking with Justin, and higher-end pots than the Alps Blue will almost certainly be offered as options, at least.

The Alps Blue pots he was planning to use are hand-sorted for channel imbalances and other gremlins.

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #45 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole
I do find it amazing that you found Justin's amp with the RK27 to be as good or better than anything on the market, its a good pot, but I didnt think it would be regarded that highly.

Maybe that was just poorly phrased but you do realize that the quality on of headphone amplifier depends on a lot more than the volume control used in it and how small the changes are going between different ones don't you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back