McIntosh MHP1000 Headphones Announced in CES
Dec 13, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #166 of 412

The TH-900 is warmer sounding, probably due to a slight sag in the midrange. The MHP1000 is more detailed, to my ears.

beerchug.gif

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #167 of 412
Thanks Beagle for clearing the air that these aren't beyerdynamic headphones! (Apologies to backtrack)

I actually claimed they are designed and built to the specification indicated by Mcintosh, possibly with the 
guidance of Beyerdynamic but no one part is designed by Beyerdynamic. However because of the resemblance
to beyers, nobody believed. And even with insider news,
I am just the new kid here with less than 1000 posts, so my post got washed away and I was dissed by all the Pros here.

Time for me to go pick a pair up.

Dec 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #168 of 412
  Thanks Beagle for clearing the air that these aren't beyerdynamic headphones! (Apologies to backtrack)

I actually claimed they are designed and built to the specification indicated by Mcintosh, possibly with the 
guidance of Beyerdynamic but no one part is designed by Beyerdynamic.

I don't think you are wrong, exactly. I think they did use the Beyer factory to build the MHP1000. However...

Space/balance/detail: the final frontier. These are the headphones of the flagship McIntosh. Its five-month mission: to explore strange new headphone worlds, to seek out new detail and new dynamics, to boldly go where no Beyerdynamic has gone before
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #169 of 412
How long do you think until the MHP2000 comes out or some sort of v2?  I am interested in getting these headphones but wondering if it isn't a good idea to give it a revision or two until everything is tucked in considering this is a new frontier for them.

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #170 of 412
  How long do you think until the MHP2000 comes out or some sort of v2?  I am interested in getting these headphones but wondering if it isn't a good idea to give it a revision or two until everything is tucked in considering this is a new frontier for them.

Consults crystal ball ...... hmmm
wink_face.gif

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #171 of 412
These things look sweet, and seem to be exactly what I want. A sweet looking high end closed headphone. Something I wouldnt feel the need to upgrade. They only pair of cans I have now are the B&O H6, and Oppo HA-1. Id like something to get better use of the Oppo. Anyone pair these with the Oppo HA-1?

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #172 of 412

guidance of Beyerdynamic but no one part is designed by Beyerdynamic.

I don't think you are wrong, exactly. I think they did use the Beyer factory to build the MHP1000. However...

Space/balance/detail: the final frontier. These are the headphones of the flagship McIntosh. Its five-month mission: to explore strange new headphone worlds, to seek out new detail and new dynamics, to boldly go where no Beyerdynamic has gone before
biggrin.gif

It is however nothing like a beyerdynamic. All who don't know mcintosh well enough totally misunderstood them... Glad the air is all clear! :D

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #173 of 412
Ill be placing my order for these this week. The only disappointing thing I can see is that there is no balanced cable option like the Oppo PM1, and the max length of the mcintosh cable is only 10 feet. Yea I can buy aftermarket, but the blue stock cables looks sweet, not to mention the balance audio cables made by mcintosh look awesome too, would look great the blue cable. 

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=cables&ProductId=BalancedAudioCables

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #176 of 412
Hi all,
I would like to ask all of you who have been listening, or will be listening in the very near future, to please share some/some more of your thoughts about these HPs.
I am very close to ordering sight unseen as I have just not been able to find a closed back HP that I have been quite satisfied with. The Beyerdynamic T5p came close but was just a bit splashy and a bit light in the bass.
Thanks!

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #177 of 412
So I just stopped by my local best buy's magnolia and they happened to have these on display. They also had a MHA100 there, unfortunately it was not hooked up to a source so my other option was to listen straight from an iphone.  Not the most ideal situation but I wanted to give them a try anyway.

Only spent 10 minutes with them out of an iphone but here goes...

- I agree with previous posters that they do not sound like a T1 (Beyer).
- Mids sounded a little thin and soundstage was what you would expect from a closed can (vs an open).
- Based on how the HD800's sound on the MHA100 I can see where that pairing with the MHP1000 would be very nice (unfortunately I can not confirm that)
- They were not overly aggressive in any way, had plenty of low end even from my phone; more laid back than forward.

As far as build....they feel very light.  The cups and headband look nice, but the metal connecting them feels like the same that is used on the T1 (not a bad thing just an observation).  The cable, while having that nice blue color was on the stiffer side. Aftermarket cables I've tried as well as the stock HD800, stax, denon (D7000) cables felt of better quality.

The one thing that struck me was the earpads.  They are almost more like an on-ear rather than over-ear; which while comfortable for my short listen, I was not a fan of.

For their high price tag I would probably not jump to buy these.  I think the appeal here is if you already own the MHA100 or other Mcintosh gear to "stay in the family".  Unless there was a significant pricing deal on these I'd hold off personally.  Maybe next time I stop in they will have the MHA100 hooked up to demo with.

//caveat: only listened from my iphone so take any sound impressions with that grain of salt.

Dec 25, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #178 of 412
I too listened to these at BB Magnolia in San Antonio some weeks back. I really liked how efficient they were with my iPhone 6P since there wasn't anything else to plug them in to. 

I think these will be a great buy on the used market, but knowing what's out there in this price range as far as the established models go, I didn't hear anything in particular that made me think "damn, I've GOTTA have these" the way I was summarily impressed the first time I put on a pair of HP2s for example. I am a Mac enthusiast and have a ton of Mac gear, but it's always important with Mac to understand that it's a luxury brand and not a value brand. They do have some products that are values relative to the content or other equivalents in the marketplace, but I think the name undoubtedly plays a role in what you're paying here. 

Also, while I believe rumors and speculation have their place, I believe it's important to temper the desire to just state something as fact when it comes to stuff like this. I was under the impression for the longest time because of some unchallenged forum postings elsewhere that the McIntosh MT10 turntable I owned briefly (SRP somewhere around 10k) was simply a "rebadged" Clearaudio piece. After more research and being lead in the right direction at AK on some matters after I also spouted this incorrect info, I realized it was not as clear cut a case as some of the forum postings out there were stating as fact. I almost came away thinking the same was the case here with Beyerdynamic until the last few posts up there. 

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #179 of 412
I'm expecting delivery of mine first week of Jan or so. I also ordered an Oppo balanced XLR cable to pair with them so I could use the balanced output of the Oppo. I'll post some impressions of it with the Oppo amp, using both cables. I may also compair it using just the amp of the Oppo comparing a couple different DACs.

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #180 of 412
  I too listened to these at BB Magnolia in San Antonio some weeks back. I really liked how efficient they were with my iPhone 6P since there wasn't anything else to plug them in to. 

I think these will be a great buy on the used market, but knowing what's out there in this price range as far as the established models go, I didn't hear anything in particular that made me think "damn, I've GOTTA have these" the way I was summarily impressed the first time I put on a pair of HP2s for example. I am a Mac enthusiast and have a ton of Mac gear, but it's always important with Mac to understand that it's a luxury brand and not a value brand. They do have some products that are values relative to the content or other equivalents in the marketplace, but I think the name undoubtedly plays a role in what you're paying here. 

Also, while I believe rumors and speculation have their place, I believe it's important to temper the desire to just state something as fact when it comes to stuff like this. I was under the impression for the longest time because of some unchallenged forum postings elsewhere that the McIntosh MT10 turntable I owned briefly (SRP somewhere around 10k) was simply a "rebadged" Clearaudio piece. After more research and being lead in the right direction at AK on some matters after I also spouted this incorrect info, I realized it was not as clear cut a case as some of the forum postings out there were stating as fact. I almost came away thinking the same was the case here with Beyerdynamic until the last few posts up there. 

Haha... Mc work with a lot of other manufacturers to produce the products they design and engineer but need additional facilities to build. Then you have random peeps shooting down mcintosh because either they cannot afford them or they just don't know them well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back