McIntosh MHP1000 Headphones Announced in CES
Sep 20, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #301 of 412
Thanks for the link, man that guys balanced cable is awesome. Will have to take a look at what he did, although if you can get cables for them from Moon that's possibly the path of least resistance.

Yeah it does look good doesn't it? I'm not sure he's around any more to ask about it though. I've used Moon a couple of times now and I've always been happy with the quality of Drew's work. Of course the MHP1000 isn't a hp they normally do cables for, so you won't find anything listed on the site; I just emailed Drew with a spec (5ft black dragon, with mini-plug connectors) and he was OK with that. Moon's not the only place - I'd recommend Trevor at Norne Audio too, and I'm sure there'll be plenty of other suggestions from folks on this thread.

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #302 of 412
Yeah it does look good doesn't it? I'm not sure he's around any more to ask about it though. I've used Moon a couple of times now and I've always been happy with the quality of Drew's work. Of course the MHP1000 isn't a hp they normally do cables for, so you won't find anything listed on the site; I just emailed Drew with a spec (5ft black dragon, with mini-plug connectors) and he was OK with that. Moon's not the only place - I'd recommend Trevor at Norne Audio too, and I'm sure there'll be plenty of other suggestions from folks on this thread.

I'll fire him a PM and see.

I've used Moon a few times also and been happy. I generally get everything terminated in 4-pin XLR if I can, then I can use my adapters to connect them to whatever (most of my adapters are Moon gear, XLR to speaker taps, XLR to 2x 3-pin XLR, XLR to single-ended, soon 3.5mm TRRS to 4-pin XLR too). The TRRS adapter is for connecting to the Geek Out V2, that thing sounded fantastic with my Ether at a recent headphones meet, and I'm guessing will sound great with the MHP1000 too.

Now that you mention it, the Norne cables look really great too, I'll have a look at them also.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #304 of 412
How portable are these cans? I mean both wearing comfort and power hunger. Could the Questyle QPR1 DAP cope with 200 Ohms?

No problem from comfort point of view, QP1R should be fine. Geek Out V2 sounds good with them here.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #306 of 412
No problem from comfort point of view, QP1R should be fine. Geek Out V2 sounds good with them here.

I'm a bit frustrated in search of my endgame portable closed over ear headphones. I love the sound of my Signature Pro but they are uncomfortbale, T5p were sent back to Amazon as they too bass shy, Alpha Primes are just too bulky and probably planars are not my stuff. Probably I should start saving and sell some stuff to buy MHP1000.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #308 of 412

If they offer T5p similar level of comfort I see no reason against their portability.

Yep, each to his own - personally I'd be afraid of getting them damaged or stolen all the time if I were using them on the road. I prefer a portable that can be slung around a bit and wouldn't cost too much to replace if necessary.

Oct 9, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #309 of 412
Oct 9, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #311 of 412
Nov 26, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #312 of 412
First of all, These headphones sound just amazing.
A refined sound with a signature of an HD800.
That being said, and as high a lev they are, probably above most,
On comparison to an HD800 they come across a bit more polite in the mids to treble, while the bass is excellent if not superior.

There is another quality in terms if TOTL cans that I look for, and easiest way to describe it is liveliness.
The HD800 still does female vocal superior with an airy liveliness.

This can does so many thing way above and top notch , but bottom line I get more life out of my HD800 which is admittedly hard to beat in that respect.
But the signature is soo similar it is shocking and I could well live with these..
I have had the fortune to critically listen to them at a friends house and for their purpose they are a success.
But for greatest solution I still pick the HD800..
And recently made my descision on the Ethers after listening to every other planar.
So if anyone came to me for a suggestion I could not in good conscience recommend these unless they had money to burn, because they are an acceptable solution for a closed can if you want an HD800 signature and almost similar stage..that is a great achievement.
So my comments are an up and down recommendation,
And not an easy choice.

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #313 of 412

I'm a bit frustrated in search of my endgame portable closed over ear headphones. I love the sound of my Signature Pro but they are uncomfortbale, T5p were sent back to Amazon as they too bass shy, Alpha Primes are just too bulky and probably planars are not my stuff. Probably I should start saving and sell some stuff to buy MHP1000.

I also returned the T5P.  Not good at all to my taste...  bass shy indeed.    

The OPPO PM-3 was much better and ... much cheaper.

Jan 26, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #315 of 412
"Dark Side Of The Moon album 24bit audio from Vinyl"... I stopped there.

Couple of questions, anyone got balanced cables for theirs, and anyone got a lead on a carry case?

I've reached out to Nordost to build a Heimdall2 cable for MHP1000. Will keep you guys posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back