McIntosh MHA200 Impressions
Feb 21, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #766 of 1,179
A question: can the MHA200 process DSD signals? Cause my cd-player has an usb-gate and if I’m understanding it right the files from the usb-stick will change into DSD-files, correct me where I’m wrong.
The MHA200 has no DAC included, so the question is if your DAC can process them.

My guess is that your CD Player has an built in DAC and outputs for an analog signal.
If it is really only a Transport with Digital out, then you need a DAC in between CD Player and MHA200.

Unless your Stick has DSD files stored it won't be automatically DSD that your DAC has to process. There is no automatic conversion or anything of that sort.
If your CD Player is an SACD Player it should be able to convert DSD64 to analog.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #767 of 1,179
My guess is that your CD Player has an built in DAC and outputs for an analog signal.
If it is really only a Transport with Digital out, then you need a DAC in between CD Player and MHA200.

Unless your Stick has DSD files stored it won't be automatically DSD that your DAC has to process. There is no automatic conversion or anything of that sort.
If your CD Player is an SACD Player it should be available to convert DSD64 to analog.
Yes it has a built in DAC and outputs for an analog signal 👍🏼 And thank you very much for the help and info 👌🏼

Feb 21, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #768 of 1,179
A question: can the MHA200 process DSD signals? Cause my cd-player has an usb-gate and if I’m understanding it right the files from the usb-stick will change into DSD-files, correct me where I’m wrong.
It's a function of your DAC (standalone or within the CD/SACD player) whether you can play DSD. If your equipment can output SACD resolution as an analog signal, then the MHA-200 can play it. Lots of MHA-200 owners are listening to SACD's, DSD/DSF files.

You are correct that according to DSD licensing SACD players must downsample to CD PCM quality for the digital output; however analog out will be full resolution, which is what the MHA-200 or any other headphone amp requires.

Off topic: There are methods/ways to rip SACD's to native DSF files without the copy protection. I have over 100 SACD's ripped bit perfect in full resolution to my hard drive for personal use.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #771 of 1,179
I am listening to my 64Audio U18t with Mx Module and silver XLR balanced cable (Soviet Military exotic).
The MHA200 sounds fantastic with great transparency and dynamics, but remains musical without harsh
etched treble. Really enjoy the solid bass and sweet midrange.

However, the 114 dB sensitivity (similar to Solaris?) does clearly pickup rushing waterfall noise. Does not
bother me since the level of the noise is too low to hear during music playback of even the quietest acoustical
music. You will hear it when no music is playing. It is not to the level of annoying hiss.
The amp is not absolutely black like a good DAP. It sounds like a tube amp strangely enough :)

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #772 of 1,179
Does this amp work well with iems like Campfire Solaris?
I can't speak to your Campfire IEM's, but my JH Audio Roxanne's and Sennheiser I800's sound good. Silent when there is no music. I can't hear any audible hum, etc. with these IEM's. They sound okay to me. When I auditioned the MHA200, I took these IEM's to the store and listened to them before I bought the amp.

Mar 12, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #774 of 1,179
I am really enjoying Mojo 2 with MHA200. I set MHA200 volume at 12 o'clock position and use volume on Mojo 2. Oh this is heavenly :)
I have mine hooked up to a Chord Dave, but I share your excitement. Chord gear seems to pair very well with the MHA200.

Mar 12, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #775 of 1,179
So I am using my new MHA200 with my Empyreans. They sound amazing. However, without being fed an audio signal I can hear what seems to be faint static or feedback. When playing music with quieter passages it is evident as well.

Any one else experience this with this amp and their headphones? Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Mar 12, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #776 of 1,179
However, the 114 dB sensitivity (similar to Solaris?) does clearly pickup rushing waterfall noise. Does not
bother me since the level of the noise is too low to hear during music playback of even the quietest acoustical
music. You will hear it when no music is playing. It is not to the level of annoying hiss.
The amp is not absolutely black like a good DAP. It sounds like a tube amp strangely enough

o I am using my new MHA200 with my Empyreans. They sound amazing. However, without being fed an audio signal I can hear what seems to be faint static or feedback. When playing music with quieter passages it is evident as well.

Any one else experience this with this amp and their headphones? Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

What tubes do you guys use? The stock tubes had a crazy amount of noise when nothing was played. It even sounded like a device sound and I was already worried that the MHA200 is badly designed. I got a second tube set (electro harmonix) together with the amp. They were much better but still with noise.

I now have 2 x 12BH7A-Premium-Audio-S4A & 2 x Gold Lion 12AT7 / ECC81 Genalex / Russia, all hand selected and there is absolutely no noise with IEMs. Traillii and Odin are quite sensitive, but the MHA200 is dead silent.

Mar 12, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #777 of 1,179
I have an Empyrean and a MHA200 too, and indeed a sweet combi, if the amp works, cause after a few days of playing with the amp one tube is bad(probably), monday I will receive some alternative tubes really hope it is a tube issue, cause you just have to replace it and that’s it.

Mar 12, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #778 of 1,179
I find it when I turn on the amp, it takes at least 3 to 5 mins to quiet down. Once settled, it stays quiet. Careful with a long headphone cable as it may pick up radio signal. Short cables are fine I think.

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #780 of 1,179
I have an Empyrean and a MHA200 too, and indeed a sweet combi, if the amp works, cause after a few days of playing with the amp one tube is bad(probably), monday I will receive some alternative tubes really hope it is a tube issue, cause you just have to replace it and that’s it.
I am going to reach out to McIntosh to see if I can get replacement tubes as well. Thanks for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back