McIntosh MHA200 Impressions
Mar 17, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #796 of 1,175
I agree with you. No reason for them to care, but they should.

In the end it doesn’t speak well for them. The first batch they released had the same volume control problem but it was mechanically wobbly as well. The remedy was to suggest customers put a felt pad underneath the knob to keep it from tilting. At least they fixed that aspect of the issue.
I am not saying they don't care but rather that they care enough for their target market.
The real proof will be when they release the MHA300 eluded to earlier in this thread (assuming the new tube market conditions make that commercially feasible).
If they do a different take on unity gain vs a true volume control we will know.
As an early MHA200 owner I took the felt pad solution to be utter BS. In totality, the MHA200 with all its warts, has become top dog in my modest tube amp collection.
I was vocal about the flaws initially but not so much now as the little beast has some endearing qualities... qualities I have not been able to top.
I have a love - hate relationship with McIntosh with the former winning out every time :frowning2: , after every purchase.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #797 of 1,175
I am not saying they don't care but rather that they care enough for their target market.
The real proof will be when they release the MHA300 eluded to earlier in this thread (assuming the new tube market conditions make that commercially feasible).
If they do a different take on unity gain vs a true volume control we will know.
As an early MHA200 owner I took the felt pad solution to be utter BS. In totality, the MHA200 with all its warts, has become top dog in my modest tube amp collection.
I was vocal about the flaws initially but not so much now as the little beast has some endearing qualities... qualities I have not been able to top.
I have a love - hate relationship with McIntosh with the former winning out every time :frowning2: , after every purchase.
Yeah McIntosh usually uses pentodes which are mainly produced in Russia.
I really wonder how the tube amp market will adjust to that now that both Shuguang and Russia are no sources anymore

Mar 17, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #798 of 1,175
Yeah McIntosh usually uses pentodes which are mainly produced in Russia.
I really wonder how the tube amp market will adjust to that now that both Shuguang and Russia are no sources anymore
By the way, it was indeed a tube issue, thanks for that, now I am in dreamland with this sweet amp 😁👌🏼

Mar 17, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #799 of 1,175
Those with 300 ohm headphones like ZMF/Beyer/Sennheiser, do you use the 250 ohm or 600 ohm impedance setting, and why?

Also does anyone know by how many decibels each setting differs?

Mar 17, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #800 of 1,175
Those with 300 ohm headphones like ZMF/Beyer/Sennheiser, do you use the 250 ohm or 600 ohm impedance setting, and why?

Also does anyone know by how many decibels each setting differs?
I use the 250 ohm setting with my VO’s. It’s the closest to 300 ohm, which is suppose offer the best driver control. As far as gain settings here’s what I found:

Voltage Gain:
  • +12dB at 32 Ohms
  • +17dB at 100 Ohms
  • +21dB at 250 Ohms
  • +25dB at 600 Ohms

Mar 17, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #801 of 1,175
I use the 250 ohm setting with my VO’s. It’s the closest to 300 ohm, which is suppose offer the best driver control. As far as gain settings here’s what I found:

Voltage Gain:
  • +12dB at 32 Ohms
  • +17dB at 100 Ohms
  • +21dB at 250 Ohms
  • +25dB at 600 Ohms
Thanks man. I appreciate your help

Mar 17, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #802 of 1,175
Mar 20, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #803 of 1,175
That would be the case with almost any powered audio device. Manufacturers don’t typically include high quality cables

It’s great you found your preference 👍🏻
Hi there, new owner of the MHA200 and enjoying it very, very much.

A few things about how and what I'm using it with...

Almost all portable DACS/DAPs. I've only purchased the MHA200 now because of the lockdown situation and the need to WFH. I'm using it with DX300MAX balanced line-out, HM1000 balanced line-out and M17 balance line out. I also have a few other players to try but so far I've got 3 different sound signatures from 4499, 4x1704 and dual 9038Pro. All sound incredible with the M17 dual 9038Pro sounding the most detailed. I have no issues with he volume on the MHA200, leaving it just past the 12 indent.

My headphones include GRADO R2, GRADO GS1000i and LCD2F. All sound better than anything I've ever tried (including the Ferrum Orr + Hypsos stack which sounded too linear with the Grados.

My question to you all is whether power cable or tubes make the biggest difference? I'm sure both do, but what should be prioritized?

I read the review by Bob Levy where he mentions it changing the 12A7 tubes for Mullards. Does he mean only switching out the 2 or needing to swap all 4?

I'm new to the tube rolling game so any info would be great appreciated.

Mar 21, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #804 of 1,175
Hi there, new owner of the MHA200 and enjoying it very, very much.

A few things about how and what I'm using it with...

Almost all portable DACS/DAPs. I've only purchased the MHA200 now because of the lockdown situation and the need to WFH. I'm using it with DX300MAX balanced line-out, HM1000 balanced line-out and M17 balance line out. I also have a few other players to try but so far I've got 3 different sound signatures from 4499, 4x1704 and dual 9038Pro. All sound incredible with the M17 dual 9038Pro sounding the most detailed. I have no issues with he volume on the MHA200, leaving it just past the 12 indent.

My headphones include GRADO R2, GRADO GS1000i and LCD2F. All sound better than anything I've ever tried (including the Ferrum Orr + Hypsos stack which sounded too linear with the Grados.

My question to you all is whether power cable or tubes make the biggest difference? I'm sure both do, but what should be prioritized?

I read the review by Bob Levy where he mentions it changing the 12A7 tubes for Mullards. Does he mean only switching out the 2 or needing to swap all 4?

I'm new to the tube rolling game so any info would be great appreciated.
First, congrats and welcome to the club. I have an upgraded power cord on my MHA200 and I'm not sure it's making a difference. Changing the tube does, but not as much as I was hoping. I have a set of Mullards 6201's I played around with. They did take the edge off the leading transients, added a little warmth to midrange, and added little more bass.

You only want to replace the tubes with same tube types. There are two 12AT7's and two 12BH7A's. I replaced the 2 stock 12AT7's with 2 Mullard 6201's, which are a 12AT7 variants. According to reviewers changing out the 12AT7 tubes has the biggest effect on the sound. So start there

Mar 21, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #805 of 1,175
First, congrats and welcome to the club. I have an upgraded power cord on my MHA200 and I'm not sure it's making a difference. Changing the tube does, but not as much as I was hoping. I have a set of Mullards 6201's I played around with. They did take the edge off the leading transients, added a little warmth to midrange, and added little more bass.

You only want to replace the tubes with same tube types. There are two 12AT7's and two 12BH7A's. I replaced the 2 stock 12AT7's with 2 Mullard 6201's, which are a 12AT7 variants. According to reviewers changing out the 12AT7 tubes has the biggest effect on the sound. So start there
Thanks so much @Slim1970. I had a gut feeling the tubes would make a bigger difference. I'll probably get those first and look for cables later.

Mar 22, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #806 of 1,175
After reading through 54 pages, I wanted to write a comment about the MHA200 looking at a new combo:

I bought the MHA200 maybe 3 weeks ago. I tried pairing it with my MHA150 via the Pre-Amp output + SH800S

I set the MHA200 to 12 position and then tried listening to it via my normal power levels. First, I was surprised that I barely heard anything. Not realizing that the MHA150 uses 3V output so the volume needs to be set around 66% to achieve 2V.

I listened to the MHA200 in the store via 800S and I was amazed about its clarity and openness, so I was expecting real goodness paired with the MHA150. Sadly, I was quite disappointed. The sound was pretty much the same as the MHA150. I assume the MHA150 already gives it a typical "McIntosh" sound and pairing it with tubes did not add much to its sound (maybe a little warmer due to the tubes) but overall barely distinguishable.

So I went back to the store and they recommended to me to try the Chord Qutest. And oh my god did the MHA200 to start to sing. It opened up completely with an amazing 3D soundstage. The sound is so much more engaging then the MHA150.

Also my first unit died at this time (excessive static noise on right side + tube overheating). The second unit they gave me worked flawlessly. No static whatsoever. So do not let anyone tell you that it has static by default. If you hear static, bring the unit back. The second unit is absolute a delight with the Qutest.

My recommendation would be if you already have a McIntosh pre-amp maybe try something else to see what the MHA200 really can do. Paired with a dedicated DAC it is a marvel.

But I have to say the MHA200 together with the MHA150 is quite a light show :)

Love to hear if anyone else tried to hook up an MHA150 to a MHA200 and what their experience is like.

Happy listening
-- WW

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-03-09 at 10.51.11 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-09 at 10.51.11 PM.jpeg
    368.5 KB · Views: 0
Mar 22, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #808 of 1,175
It’s obvious they want to make products for headphone users that really kick ass …..
Pleeeeeease, a remote control and a line-out/pre-out! :wink:

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #809 of 1,175
I just switched out my stock JJ 12AT7 for NOS British Military Mullards matched pair tested for low noise and harmonics. Best $100 I have ever spent. I had assumed that most reports of tube changes were the typical exagerations and hyperboli that you typically read about on these forums.

My honest assessment is that the stock tubes should immediately be removed from any MHA200 and dropped in the trash, you will not listen to them again. If you have not tried any other tubes in your MHA200, I suggest going to your local McIntosh dealer and ask if you can try out some Mullards or anything else they have on hand. If you can not hear the difference between Mullards and JJ you may need to re-evaluate your system or make sure there are not medical issues.

I have put in another order for two more pairs of these military grade tubes. As soon as I have more cash available, I plan to order several more matched pairs.

Spending money on $2000 interconnect cables, $100 fuses, $200 power cords, etc to me now seems quite foolish if you have not swapped out the stock tubes for $100. You will get much greater sonic improvement immediately (no burn in, no sitting for hours A/B testing) over any of the above. I think the best way to describe the change is to imagine all your high resolution music has been re-recorded by Chesky using Binaural microphones.

http://www.mullardtubes.com/Mullard-ECC81-12AT7-CV4024/?ID=0&ProductID=152

Attachments

• 7EBB4F36-0DA5-4CF7-8FFA-534D8D086B50.jpeg
    7EBB4F36-0DA5-4CF7-8FFA-534D8D086B50.jpeg
    926.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #810 of 1,175
I just switched out my stock JJ 12AT7 for NOS British Military Mullards matched pair tested for low noise and harmonics. Best $100 I have ever spent. I had assumed that most reports of tube changes were the typical exagerations and hyperboli that you typically read about on these forums.

My honest assessment is that the stock tubes should immediately be removed from any MHA200 and dropped in the trash, you will not listen to them again. If you have not tried any other tubes in your MHA200, I suggest going to your local McIntosh dealer and ask if you can try out some Mullards or anything else they have on hand. If you can not hear the difference between Mullards and JJ you may need to re-evaluate your system or make sure there are not medical issues.

I have put in another order for two more pairs of these military grade tubes. As soon as I have more cash available, I plan to order several more matched pairs.

Spending money on $2000 interconnect cables, $100 fuses, $200 power cords, etc to me now seems quite foolish if you have not swapped out the stock tubes for $100. You will get much greater sonic improvement immediately (no burn in, no sitting for hours A/B testing) over any of the above. I think the best way to describe the change is to imagine all your high resolution music has been re-recorded by Chesky using Binaural microphones.

http://www.mullardtubes.com/Mullard-ECC81-12AT7-CV4024/?ID=0&ProductID=152
100% agree.

I swapped my stock tubes with Philips 12AT7 E81CC Made in Germany. Such a huge difference I may not need to get power cables. Gonna swap out the 12BH7A with Sylvania 12BH7S'.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back