McIntosh MHA200 Impressions
Feb 12, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #736 of 1,202
Hello,

In principle, it's not stupid, but it's also stupid again.
What's not stupid is if the Dac has variable function integrated it's okay to be able to use it with the remote control.
The same game would be okay with a preamp.
I find it more problematic when devices are used that don't have a remote control or are set to fixed settings. A classic example would be a CD player or a Dac without a remote control.

What I find stupid is the statement with the preamp,why should I buy one if I already spend 3000$/€ for a good amplifier?
Why buy a preamp or a dac separately that has to have at least a remote control to get to know the "pleasure"?

That is not okay, the statement and I think that by now Mcintosh has realised the implications that it was not okay.
From a personal point of view I would have liked to buy it, also I have a variable function on the Dac which is more luxury and nice to have.
But I don't see the point in justifying it and I think it's unfair to those who have to spend extra money.
Even if it was just a topping E30 that had to be bought.
I have never heard anyone say that the sound was crap, if something was loud then it was always the problem with the volume control where most people are angry about having spent so much money afterwards.
Some have also found interesting solutions for this, which is commendable.
But with the price tag, it just has to fit.
Even the Feliks Euforia AE goes for about 3000$/€ and they have understood that you don't do that and Feliks is not as well known as Mcintosh.
For me, I see no reason to move away from my Euforia unless this is fixed in a B version or next Mha300 version, or at least give the buyer a choice of what to use.
I would be 100% sure that 95% of buyers would choose a good volume control if given the choice.

Feb 12, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #737 of 1,202
Hello,

In principle, it's not stupid, but it's also stupid again.
What's not stupid is if the Dac has variable function integrated it's okay to be able to use it with the remote control.
The same game would be okay with a preamp.
I find it more problematic when devices are used that don't have a remote control or are set to fixed settings. A classic example would be a CD player or a Dac without a remote control.

What I find stupid is the statement with the preamp,why should I buy one if I already spend 3000$/€ for a good amplifier?
Why buy a preamp or a dac separately that has to have at least a remote control to get to know the "pleasure"?

That is not okay, the statement and I think that by now Mcintosh has realised the implications that it was not okay.
From a personal point of view I would have liked to buy it, also I have a variable function on the Dac which is more luxury and nice to have.
But I don't see the point in justifying it and I think it's unfair to those who have to spend extra money.
Even if it was just a topping E30 that had to be bought.
I have never heard anyone say that the sound was crap, if something was loud then it was always the problem with the volume control where most people are angry about having spent so much money afterwards.
Some have also found interesting solutions for this, which is commendable.
But with the price tag, it just has to fit.
Even the Feliks Euforia AE goes for about 3000$/€ and they have understood that you don't do that and Feliks is not as well known as Mcintosh.
For me, I see no reason to move away from my Euforia unless this is fixed in a B version or next Mha300 version, or at least give the buyer a choice of what to use.
I would be 100% sure that 95% of buyers would choose a good volume control if given the choice.
Amen, brother....

Feb 16, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #739 of 1,202
As a potential headphone amplifier purchaser and McIntosh fan, the MHA 200 has been on my radar. Of course, all of this about "volume" control has been of concern. Many pages back a west coast McIntosh dealer addressed this issue.

So, it appears the MHA 200 was designed to be just a headphone amp; similar to the MC 275, 2301, 462, 1.25 etc/etc power amps and therefore needs to be feed by a pre-amp (for best results anyway). It is not uncommon for McIntosh to have output adjustments on their power amps; perhaps a two position switch or in some cases a "potentiometer" type device. At the other extreme, McIntosh offers the MHA 150; solid state a combo pre amp/ amp /headphone amp with DAC that can also be used with speakers. Unless I am missing something, buyers of the MHA 200 should use it with a pre-amp. If not something like the Woo WA22 or MHA 150 would be a better choice.

Now, the issue with the fit/finish/wobbly "volume" control is something else.

As an occasional headphone user, for now will continue to use the headphone output jack on my C1100 and in full disclosure have not as of yet looked at the MHA 200.

All commentary welcome.

John

Feb 16, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #740 of 1,202
One the fence between a Woo WA22 and the MHA200.

Even considering the WA2 if I elect to use non balanced connections. (+ really do not need the pre-amp of the WA22).
Stay on the fence and await the upcoming MHA300 that should incorporate new features from the feedback McIntosh has received since last spring.
In the alternative buy used so you can get personal experience and spin it off at little to no loss when the time comes - assuming it ever does.
Don't need the pre amp, go for a first generation WA22... It also offers the best tube selection.
If you have any means to control the input to the MHA200 you will be fine otherwise you just need good fine motor skills and a willingness to use some care.
Landing on either side of your fence will be rewarding.
Your real enemy can come from indecision...
A little info on your sources, headphones, general setup, could steal the discussion.

Feb 16, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #741 of 1,202
Stay on the fence and await the upcoming MHA300 that should incorporate new features from the feedback McIntosh has received since last spring.
In the alternative buy used so you can get personal experience and spin it off at little to no loss when the time comes - assuming it ever does.
Don't need the pre amp, go for a first generation WA22... It also offers the best tube selection.
If you have any means to control the input to the MHA200 you will be fine otherwise you just need good fine motor skills and a willingness to use some care.
Landing on either side of your fence will be rewarding.
Your real enemy can come from indecision...
A little info on your sources, headphones, general setup, could steal the discussion.
Sources are Flac files and redbook CD transport fed to a McIntosh D100 (DAC/preamp - possibly replaced later this year with a Bryston BDA3 or McIntosh D1100) to HD800 cans. My main amp/preamp is a McIntosh MA600 which is not used when I listen through headphones.

Secondary system is Flac files fed to a Woo WA7 (2nd gen) to HD650 and HD800 cans.
WA7 support, reliability and performance have been exceptional. Which is why, I am leaning towards the Woo Products. The MHA300 may be redundant if/when I elect to upgrade my D100.

Feb 16, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #743 of 1,202
So if I use the MHA 200 with only a cd-player it won’t sound great?
When you add a good CD and a great HP to them, they will sound great 😉

Feb 16, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #745 of 1,202
Sources are Flac files and redbook CD transport fed to a McIntosh D100 (DAC/preamp - possibly replaced later this year with a Bryston BDA3 or McIntosh D1100) to HD800 cans. My main amp/preamp is a McIntosh MA600 which is not used when I listen through headphones.

Secondary system is Flac files fed to a Woo WA7 (2nd gen) to HD650 and HD800 cans.
WA7 support, reliability and performance have been exceptional. Which is why, I am leaning towards the Woo Products. The MHA300 may be redundant if/when I elect to upgrade my D100.
You seem to be positioned to get the most out of a MHA200 and are probably the target market McIntosh envisioned. Set the MHA at unity gain or a tick higher and you are good to go. My MHA200 is fed by a McIntosh pre amp and DAC most of the time. Fantastic pairing but I had to add the pre amp after buying the MHA... due to the odd ball volume. HD800 are my most often used older cans. Even if you go with Woo you can still use the pre amp on it. It does add value in my experience thus mine is fed via an Atom HE set as pre amp...

Feb 16, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #746 of 1,202
You seem to be positioned to get the most out of a MHA200 and are probably the target market McIntosh envisioned. Set the MHA at unity gain or a tick higher and you are good to go. My MHA200 is fed by a McIntosh pre amp and DAC most of the time. Fantastic pairing but I had to add the pre amp after buying the MHA... due to the odd ball volume. HD800 are my most often used older cans. Even if you go with Woo you can still use the pre amp on it. It does add value in my experience thus mine is fed via an Atom HE set as pre amp...
What pre?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back