McIntosh MHA200 Impressions
Oct 11, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #1,055 of 1,178
Just ordered the amp, and it's supposed to arrive tomorrow. This should be a big upgrade from my current setup.
This is my first amp with tubes. Does anyone have any aftermarket tube suggestions? I am upgrading from a Fiio K9 pro, and don't want a sterile sound. I'm also looking for a Dac to accompany this amp.

Oct 11, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #1,056 of 1,178
Just ordered the amp, and it's supposed to arrive tomorrow. This should be a big upgrade from my current setup.
This is my first amp with tubes. Does anyone have any aftermarket tube suggestions? I am upgrading from a Fiio K9 pro, and don't want a sterile sound. I'm also looking for a Dac to accompany this amp.
I just got my MHA200. Ordered some Mullard NOS CV4024 / 12AT7 tubes to replace the stock 12AT 7 tubes—from Upscale Audio. Terrific service. Call them as they’re not listed on the site, but these tubes are supposed to be a great upgrade. I also have a RME ADI pro SE dac which is awesome. Read the reviews. It’s a killer set up for my Focal Utopia 2022s

Oct 11, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #1,057 of 1,178
I just got my MHA200. Ordered some Mullard NOS CV4024 / 12AT7 tubes to replace the stock 12AT 7 tubes—from Upscale Audio. Terrific service. Call them as they’re not listed on the site, but these tubes are supposed to be a great upgrade. I also have a RME ADI pro SE dac which is awesome. Read the reviews. It’s a killer set up for my Focal Utopia 2022s
Do you use the rme as a pre? If so, how it it? Thanks

Oct 11, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #1,058 of 1,178

Do you use the rme as a pre? If so, how it it? Thanks
Yes I do. Connected by XLR cables. Super pleased. Was great before without the MHA200 but the tubes take the experience to a new level.

Oct 16, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #1,060 of 1,178
IMG_0866.jpeg

Running with my m17 as the pre into balance and then driving my abyss original . It actually works out very well. I compared with my cayin and also something like topping A70pro. I think the dynamics and bass is just nice for me. I think the mid bass can be just a touch tighter but it does go nice, deep and very smooth. Overall I enjoyed this setup.

One thing to note, I’m a low volume listener. I can actually enjoy abyss on my m17 if needed without the additional power supply on low volume.

Overall really enjoyable. Key points I note vs my iha6 and A70pro.
Thicker sounding
Smoother
Larger soundstage
Slightly more diffused mids
Clarity not much difference to me
Mid bass not as tight
Low bass better textured and smoother

I may get a high end solid state in the future to compare, but at the minimal this is a significantly different and more to my taste amp then the rest

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #1,061 of 1,178
Hi all.. :)
I am choosing a tube amp for my Meze Empyrean, DAC TOPPING D70s .

I have favorites:
MCINTOSH MHA200
Feliks Audio Euforia Evo
CAYIN HA-3A
AURIS HA2 SE

What do you think is the best choice - for jazz, vocals, pink floyd etc.
To handle Empyrean well. Have enough energy.

Nov 25, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #1,063 of 1,178
I don’t have experience with the other amps, but I have the Empyrean and the McIntosh MHA200 and it’s from another world if you ask me, I do have another DAC though, the Matrix X Sabre 3, but the sound is very sweet.
Thanks a lot! Yes, I don't have any high-end dac. Macintosh is my big dream, but enough people say it's a lot about branding, marketing. Although they say there are exceptions - just maybe here…:)

Nov 25, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #1,064 of 1,178
Hi all.. :)
I am choosing a tube amp for my Meze Empyrean, DAC TOPPING D70s .

I have favorites:
MCINTOSH MHA200
Feliks Audio Euforia Evo
CAYIN HA-3A
AURIS HA2 SE

What do you think is the best choice - for jazz, vocals, pink floyd etc.
To handle Empyrean well. Have enough energy.

I have just one comment. The vast midrange on the MHA200 is incredible for vocals and brass

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Nov 25, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #1,065 of 1,178
I have just one comment. The vast midrange on the MHA200 is incredible for vocals and brass

My favorite part of the MHA200, where this occurs more than most tube amps I've heard, is the lush and seemingly infinite bloom of midrange detail... it's like hearing this:

Mandelbrot_sequence_new.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back