McIntosh MHA200 Impressions
Sep 2, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #1,036 of 1,178
What do you have the MHA200 volume dial set to? Is it noon or a bit higher?

I tried using my Mjolnir2 last night as a preamp (forgot it had that feature) with the MHA200 dial at noon. Not good. Even with the Mjolnir2 gain on high, the volume dial on the Mjolnir was at 3-4 and it sounded terrible.
Always between 12.00-1.00 it's depend on what HP I use.

Sep 4, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #1,039 of 1,178
Sep 7, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #1,040 of 1,178
At the office... Mind wandering... Just realized a few minutes ago there's a 3-day weekend coming up. Then all of a sudden that stupid gain / volume control choice that McIntosh made popped into my head. And then it went back to something else.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a proper preamp and an MHA200? Like one of the Schiit Freyas or something higher up the food chain? Like a C49 laying around? :) Just wondering what it would sound like with the knob at 12 and a preamp controlling the volume. I have an old Asgard 2 sitting in storage I was using as a preamp with a Vidar and was thinking about just trying it out. Using all SE of course.

Volume knob aside, I'm still very much enthralled with this amp. I don't know what it is about it but there's just something that sets it apart from the others I have in use. It's almost the same experience when I finally bought a Stax system. Just a different "sound" altogether from what I've been listening to. I'm also seeing quite a bit of chatter about upgrading the 12AT7 tubes. It would be worth the $100-150 to find out if it makes it even better.

Spent a lot of time with Sennheiser HD 660S and Focal Elears since my original post. They both sounded faaaaaantastic. The Grado GS1000e on the other hand, not so much. Although they've been hit or miss over the years, mostly miss, and I only use them for jazz because any other genre with them is awful. Same goes for the 600 ohm DT990. Greatest pairing I've ever heard with this amp, but they only sound good with classical. Especially strings.

Rant over. For now.
Proper preamp? Yes, and run the MHA200 at 12 as designed.
Upgrade the 12AT7 tube? For sure, but don't stop there. The stock tubes are OK but you can improve on both sets.
Over two years with this amp and it still brings a smile every time it is powered up. Experiment and enjoy.

IMG_4984.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #1,041 of 1,178
Proper preamp? Yes, and run the MHA200 at 12 as designed.
Upgrade the 12AT7 tube? For sure, but don't stop there. The stock tubes are OK but you can improve on both sets.
Over two years with this amp and it still brings a smile every time it is powered up. Experiment and enjoy.

IMG_4984.jpeg
Are you using the C8 as a pre?

Sep 10, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #1,047 of 1,178
I switch the Mullard 12at7 instead of the original JJ and the result is quite positive!
IMG_0123.jpeg

Sep 14, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #1,049 of 1,178
Went round and round deciding between a Freya+ or Kara, then went in the opposite direction and gave the Emotiva XDA-3 DAC/Preamp a whirl. I think it's a keeper. It sounds more Yggdrasil-ish than the squeaky clean and precise sound of the Benchmark. And it only took a few minutes to be spoiled rotten by the volume buttons on the remote control. The MHA200 is set at 3 o'clock sharp for extra stank. High noon was nowhere near enough. AND the XDA-3 will match nicely with the Emotiva ERC-4 that I bought and forgot about.

Updated. Grabbed the ERC from storage. Using the balanced out from the ERC instead of using it as a transport.

Still amazed by the MHA200 out of the box.

2023-09-15 23.37.34.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back