McIntosh MHA200 Impressions
Dec 7, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #946 of 1,179
Not sure which part of that particular rant you’re referring to, but I certainly agree that we all hear differently, so if you’re referring to the part about the Mullards, I’ll retract everything I said except that: 1. I hear them very differently than what you described and 2. Whatever floats your boat is good by me.

I’d be more interested in hearing what you think of ‘Chuck’ at McIntosh’s statement to me that the reason why the range of adjustment on the volume control is so limited is either because I need to change gain (resistance) settings and/or that “Audeze headphones require 1,000 times more power than average headphones.” I’m not making it up; that’s really what he said. Once I made it clear that I would not just listen to him unquestioningly while he read from a script, he became quite flummoxed by the entire conversation, for whatever reason.

Anyway, I’m just glad to see a little action in this thread - it’s fairly moribund. Even though you’re responding to something I wrote almost two weeks and multiple posts ago, at least it’s some discourse. At the end of the day, I think it’s a great little amp (admittedly with a couple of little foibles, most notably the usable range of that volume control), but I’d like to see more interest in it and discussion about it, so I’m purposefully putting up loud, obnoxious, controversial posts in a last ditch attempt to get the conversation going.
I respond when the system gives me notice. Until today I haven’t received a notice from any Headfi post in over a month until today

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 7, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #947 of 1,179
My conversation with him started out nicely enough, and I'm sure he's a very nice guy, but what I mean by "reading from a script" is that he told me he was quoting what the designer told him, and he couldn't or wouldn't get that my question had to do with the range of adjustment, as opposed to the overall level of volume that I was getting. He got upset that I wouldn't just accept what he said as having answered my question when clearly it hadn't (and the thing about Audeze headphones requiring 1,000 times the normal amount of power was just bizarre). Clearly, the headphone space is NOT his thing and he was out of his depth. I would have been much happier if he just put me through to someone who knew the product and the ancillaries with which it is likely to be used.
He would have put you though to me if he referred it out for further information. I know more about the amp than most of the McIntosh staff. Being the site isn’t consistent just contact me @ The Source AV. I’m happy to share tricks and information on the MHA200

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 7, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #948 of 1,179
I respond when the system gives me notice. Until today I haven’t received a notice from any Headfi post in over a month until today
No worries. I see you're catching up on responding to older posts - no idea why you wouldn't have gotten the notifications. Like I said before, I'm just glad you're here to help keep the conversation going.

:v:

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #949 of 1,179
I am thinking about getting the Toppings AD90D instead of the McIntosh to save money to use my Focal Clear MGs. Tell me I am making a mistake. LOL

The purpose of using a headphone amp is to hook it up to my preamp in my stereo. I use headphones when I can't play my stereo late at night when my kids are sleeping or if someone is watching TV in the other room. That is the only time I will use it. Is the MHA200 worth it for a situation like this?

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #950 of 1,179
I am thinking about getting the Toppings AD90D instead of the McIntosh to save money to use my Focal Clear MGs. Tell me I am making a mistake. LOL

The purpose of using a headphone amp is to hook it up to my preamp in my stereo. I use headphones when I can't play my stereo late at night when my kids are sleeping or if someone is watching TV in the other room. That is the only time I will use it. Is the MHA200 worth it for a situation like this?
Who could answer that question other than you? I use the McIntosh to power my Audeze LCD-3 as a part of a full blown, mid-five figure system, and I only use headphones when I feel like it or when there are others around I don’t want to bother too much (my headphones are open backs, after all). In my opinion, the McIntosh is worth 10x the price of the Topping. But that’s me. I’d also rather see you buy a 10 year old used Burson HA-160 for $350 over a brand new Topping. My personal opinion. Just like it is my opinion that the Topping is not in the same league as the McIntosh. The point is that only you can decide whether the McIntosh, which I believe sounds awesome and is worth every penny, is worth it for you.

NB: I should also add that it is only worth it if you can afford it. I would never suggest using the rent money, or borrowing from your 401k or taking money out of the kids’ college fund to buy stereo equipment. But, if you can afford it, get what you like.

Good luck, and Enjoy!

YMMV, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #951 of 1,179

Let me know how that goes. I’ve heard some things about your (cost savings) choice of brands that might set off a red flag but I have no experience directly with that brand. I would enjoy reading about your experience with it.

Dec 8, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #952 of 1,179
Anyone has experience with T+A Solitaire P and TH900MK2 on MHA200? Curious to know, thanks.
T+A Solitaire P sounds gorgeous on MHA200.

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #953 of 1,179
T+A Solitaire P sounds gorgeous on MHA200.
I’m delighted that you are happy with your setup, and I agree that the MHA200 is certainly a great amp - I’d like to see it get more love than it does. We’d love to hear more specifics about what you liked (or didn’t) about the combo - was it the speed, the imaging, the tonal saturation, the deep bass, the sparkling highs, the palpable midrange? Not asking for a full blown review, just something more to go on to help us in our own quests for audio Nirvana. After all, we each have our own definition of ‘gorgeous’.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #954 of 1,179
Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #955 of 1,179
It does get lots of love. Just read through the 64 pages, if you have not done it yet. But c'mon, it is more than one and a half year old product now, and there are only a few amps on head-fi that has frequent coverage after a year. Normally it needs 3-4 enthusiasts who always get some new adpects to discuss. It is very nice that you want to animate, but bring up a long discussed and buried painpoint is not the best way to make friends here.

Btw, when we are at volume control: you can vote with your money: keep it, or send it back. I have done my vote a year ago.
I think McIntosh would have looked more professional handling this issue by
1. Admitting that the design intention was to use the amp by the ones who has anyway a McIntosh preamp, who are happy with the unity gain position, and the rest can be happy that the construction is capable of volume control, with some restrictions though.
2. Recognizing that a new customer segment has discovered McIntosh (due to the telative modest price tag), but with different expectation/requirements regarding volume control, and releasing an MHA201 without the unity gain function, with a smoothly resistant ordinary volume knob.

But, in no way trying to defend that this construction is an engineering marvel and all who do not see it is a stupid idiot.

Anyways, I still like it.
About the SoliP maybe another time, I wrote already too much.
Thanks for the advice on how to behave on an audio forum, Mr. >600 posts and <600 likes, but I’m not trying to ‘make friends’, I’m trying to resurrect a mostly and unnecessarily dead thread. Think Dr. Frankenstein, not Mr Rogers.

The fact is that the MHA200 is not old, it’s still current, and it does have some foibles that should be addressed by Mc but weren’t - IMHO, and that of many of the professional reviews I’ve read, they could have done the unity gain thing and still provided a normal linear volume control. So it’s a continuing and legitimate beef. No one yet has explained the ‘why’ and, I think you and I agree, ‘that’s the way it is’ just isn’t a satisfactory explanation. As for voting with my feet, my dealer has already sent me a return label, but, upon reflection, I’ve decided to keep the unit because I don’t see anything out there I think I’d prefer, warts and all. Sorry if that offends you or you think I’m having fun wrong. I’ll ask your permission next time I make an audio decision.

Truth is, I’m not here to fight with you. I may be new to this thread, but I am neither new to the site nor to the audio hobby. Yes, I read the first 64 pages, was bored to tears, and wanted to know where the other 250 pages went. @TSAVJason seems to be the only one with anything interesting to say. More’s the pity - he’s a GREAT guy, but he’s a dealer fielding mostly toob noob questions. Indeed, it seems like this amp attracts a lot of inexperienced audiophiles and that DOES bother me, because this thing is the real deal and sounds absolutely fantastic with everything I’ve thrown at it so far - dynamic, engaging, tonally saturated without being thick or slow, fantastic separation (the one area where I think NOS 12at7 tubes would be an improvement over stock), the list goes on. I’ve been pining after my brother’s MC275 for years, and now I’ve got a drop-dead gorgeous mini version for my cans. I could do without the green leds under the tubes, but I guess that’s their shtick now.

Anyway, my post was not intended to anger you and, upon rereading it, I have no idea what your problem with it is. it was intended only to encourage you to say more than just (in words or substance) ‘the combo was good, I liked it’. Sorry if I didn’t say it in a way that pleased Your Honor, but I’m 63 and I’ve been in the hobby for 50 years, 35+ all tube analog. I know what I’m talking about, I say what’s on my mind and I say it how I want, but I try never to cross the line, as I was careful not to do with the post I addressed to you. Sorry if you felt slighted in some way because I politely suggested that your post provided zero useful information, but the fact is that it didn’t. If you want to pick a fight with me, go for it. I’m game. But better you should rethink your post and understand that my intentions were pure, regardless of whether or not you approve of my sentiment. I’m more than willing to give you the benefit of the doubt since English is apparently not your native tongue and assume that my intent got crossed in translation. Are you capable of that? If not, bring it on. I’ve been a New York City courtroom lawyer for 38 years - I think I can handle whatever it is you think you’ve got. The ball, my friend, is in your court. Take your best shot.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #956 of 1,179
I replaced the 12AT7's with Mallard's.
I have some NOS CV4024’s flying in today, but I think @TSAVJason makes a good point when he says this is not really a tube rollers’ amp - and, as a recovering tubeaholic, that’s probably one of the things that attracted me to it. As tube amps go, it’s about as much of a brick as you can get (and I mean that as a positive; just set it up and enjoy it). I’m trying the military Mullards because I remember liking them in my VTL mono amps, but I have no intention of rolling much beyond that.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #957 of 1,179
I am sorry. As mentioned, I wrote too much.

Dec 11, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #959 of 1,179
UPS seems to have mislaid my Mullard CV4024’s, but this particular amp, as pointed out by @TSAVJason, doesn’t necessarily need tube rolling, so not the end of the world if they don’t come - still sounds great stock. I think that’s a Mcintosh trait in general.

I do have a question - I read earlier in this thread how to defeat the automatic off feature, but I didn’t see anything about turning off the green led’s under the tubes. Can it be done? I don’t expect it to make any sonic difference, but I would prefer to see the natural orange tube glow in the dark, or at least have the choice, if it’s available. Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back