McIntosh MHA200 Impressions
Jul 9, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #196 of 1,203
Second paragraph I’m just asking for recommendations for a dac/amp aio when NOT using the mha200 through my computer.
To get the ball rolling:
You could grab a MOJO and use a spare iPhone (or other) to stream through it or use as storage/playback... Within budget and the MOJO sounds great into the MHA RCA input, very flexible for bit rates, has fixed line out, or use the volume control.

Jul 9, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #197 of 1,203
I also have one of these, which I personally think sounds a hint better. Noticeable at higher volumes. The high treble region is slightly rolled off and can take the edge off of very bright IEMs. But the visual quality is kind of disappointing when looking at it very closely. Mine looks like they didn't wipe glue used to seal gaps in the black rubber and gold plated metal.
I've been using a Black Dragon adapter cable from Moon Audio, but I like the idea of a one piece adapter.... :thinking: Ah, well, I don't listen to IEMs much anymore because of a tragus piercing so I guess I don't need to buy something else. :confused:

I was playing around with the Massdrop x Senn HD6XX yesterday (which I bought a few years ago, listened to for an hour and put back in the box) as a co-worker is thinking about buying them, and they pair well with the MHA200! Generally I find them too bass heavy and the vocals recessed, but the MHA200 'fixed' the lacking mids.

Jul 9, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #198 of 1,203
I haven’t opened up a chassis to check but I am not aware of an internal fuse.
It’s a 125mA small slow blow fuse (no wonder they went C7 - this thing takes no juice at all).

Jul 10, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #199 of 1,203
I've been using a Black Dragon adapter cable from Moon Audio, but I like the idea of a one piece adapter.... :thinking: Ah, well, I don't listen to IEMs much anymore because of a tragus piercing so I guess I don't need to buy something else. :confused:

I was playing around with the Massdrop x Senn HD6XX yesterday (which I bought a few years ago, listened to for an hour and put back in the box) as a co-worker is thinking about buying them, and they pair well with the MHA200! Generally I find them too bass heavy and the vocals recessed, but the MHA200 'fixed' the lacking mids.
The MHA200 is great with IEMs. Very faint to no hum, hiss, or buzz from internal circuit noise detected with very sensitive IEMs. All the great Mcintosh sound signature comes through!

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #200 of 1,203
Second paragraph I’m just asking for recommendations for a dac/amp aio when NOT using the mha200 through my computer.
Extremely happy with my Bifrost 2 and the MHA200. I'm partial to that MB "sparkle" which I feel pairs well with the MHA200. Running balanced outs from the Bifrost, but didn't detect any meaningful difference between SE and balanced outs...

Others seem happy with the Chord Qutest - but that's SE outs only, I haven't heard the Qutest.

If I were going to do it again, I might consider finding a high end MB DAC with a volume control/remote, as I'm becoming a touch miffed by the lack of fine control with the MHA200 volume knob...

Jul 10, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #201 of 1,203
If I were going to do it again, I might consider finding a high end MB DAC with a volume control/remote, as I'm becoming a touch miffed by the lack of fine control with the MHA200 volume knob...
I can recommend the Rockna Wavelight in that category.
Not sure if it is out of budget, but you said high end so I recommended it anyways

Jul 10, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #202 of 1,203
Chord Hugo2 and MHA200 sounds fantastic with Kimber Kable Timbre interconnects single ended. I believe the Chord Qutest will also sound fantastic.

I use the Hugo2 with TOSLINK for using DAP as a source.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #203 of 1,203
It’s a 125mA small slow blow fuse (no wonder they went C7 - this thing takes no juice at all).
Are you planning to try different fuses to improve the sound?

Jul 10, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #204 of 1,203
Comparing Kimber Hero copper XLR interconnects vs Kimber copper Timbre interconnects, the XLR output vs RCA from the Hugo TT2 doesn't change tonality, but resolution goes up a slight bit and dynamics improves enough that it has a firm slam with XLR. I will never run single ended again.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #206 of 1,203
To get the ball rolling:
You could grab a MOJO and use a spare iPhone (or other) to stream through it or use as storage/playback... Within budget and the MOJO sounds great into the MHA RCA input, very flexible for bit rates, has fixed line out, or use the volume control.
95941359-EC66-40F3-AE6C-8471F5C5C52E.jpeg

Mojo with MHA200 delivers quite a surprisingly good performance once Mojo case is scorching hot. It really doesn't give up much to it's bigger Chord brothers. In a blind A/B test it might be hard to tell which is the more expensive Chord setup. There is a difference in sound stage, but otherwise family resemblance is strong. I don't think the Mojo images as well as the Hugos or maybe the RCA adapter is killing the spatial information?

The 64 Audio U12t sounds absolutely amazing on the MHA200. Really recommend trying this IEM with it.

Update: I did get a thermal shutdown, was fun listening until that happened 😊

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #207 of 1,203
95941359-EC66-40F3-AE6C-8471F5C5C52E.jpeg

This delivers quite a surprisingly good performance once it's case is scorching hot. It really doesn't give up much to it's bigger Chord brothers. In a blind A/B test it might be hard to tell which is the more expensive Chord setup. There is a difference in sound stage, but otherwise family resemblance is strong. I don't think the Mojo images as well as the Hugos or maybe the RCA adapter is killing the spacial information?

The 64 Audio U12t sounds absolutely amazing on the MHA200. Really recommend trying this IEM with it.

Update: I did get a thermal shutdown, was fun listening until that happened 😊
Thermal Shutdown from MHA200?
How?

Jul 12, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #208 of 1,203
Thermal Shutdown from MHA200?
How?
No, the Mojo. These are notorious for getting too hot if you drive them hard and charge at the same time. They are like sports cars, if you baby them, they're not much fun.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #209 of 1,203
I have the first MOJO to hit my local shop from back in November 2015. Haven't had it overheat but it gets warm in desktop use. I set the MHA at unity and listen about 12 steps down from the line output setting on the MOJO. The MOJO is not as good as the Qutest paired with the MHA. But it is more enjoyable on some tracks as the Qutest/MHA combo can get harsh, as in too resolving and bright.

Interestingly, to my ear, the WDS-1 running balanced, is indistinguishable from the Qutest. My spouse, with less abused ears, only picked up on the slightest of differences... so small as to defy meaningful comment.

The MOJO or WDS-1 pair nicely with the MHA200 and eliminate any volume control issues. The WDS-1 gives Qutest level performance if run balanced. Fine design by Jack Woo given it is almost a decade old...

MHA200 w MOJO.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back