McIntosh MHA200 Impressions
Jun 23, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #166 of 1,184
So I've heard a few OTL (output transformerless) headphone amps like the Feliks - but have never heard any of the Feliks amps. In general OTLs have a colored, euphonic signature, with lots of pleasant harmonic distortion that many folks find irresistible. I've really liked some of the OTLs I've heard. Classically OTL's pair best with high impedance headphones, think 300-600 Ohm Beyers. Low impedance cans like the LCD-2 may not be the best pairing with an OTL amp, though MANY folks claim they still love their OTL amp with high efficiency/low impedance cans. My understanding is that higher current OTLs can do a good job with low impedance transducers.

The MHA200 is VERY different than an OTL, it's detailed and accurate, as SET (single ended triode) tube amps tend to be, not warm and gooey, like most OTLs.

As always, let your ears decide, and don't buy without hearing both.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #167 of 1,184
Hello,
I'd love to.
I was in the shop today, unfortunately they didn't have it.
They are still waiting for delivery of the MHA200.
Unfortunately the dealer told me that 3-4 weeks ago.
As soon as I get the chance, I'll report on it.

I was only able to listen to the Aurium Pathos today, and with the Lcd 2c it was fine.
I suspect that it wasn't really warm because the mosfets need a bit of time.
I didn't have the feeling of being able to say Oh wow.

But I'm much more keen on the Mha 200, also because I'd like to know whether the added value might be worthwhile compared to the Feliks or not.
The Patos was more of a consolation and I'm glad I didn't buy it at the time.
Ok thanks, I’ll be waiting impatiently your head to head comparo! :wink:. The are probably very different amps but they are in the same price bracket so a comparo between both is a nice, which I will never be able to do unless I would buy them both! I’ve never heard the LCD 2c, I personnally own the Empyrean, which I really like, no more itch to change cans since I bought these.

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #168 of 1,184
So I've heard a few OTL (output transformerless) headphone amps like the Feliks - but have never heard any of the Feliks amps. In general OTLs have a colored, euphonic signature, with lots of pleasant harmonic distortion that many folks find irresistible. I've really liked some of the OTLs I've heard. Classically OTL's pair best with high impedance headphones, think 300-600 Ohm Beyers. Low impedance cans like the LCD-2 may not be the best pairing with an OTL amp, though MANY folks claim they still love their OTL amp with high efficiency/low impedance cans. My understanding is that higher current OTLs can do a good job with low impedance transducers.

The MHA200 is VERY different than an OTL, it's detailed and accurate, as SET (single ended triode) tube amps tend to be, not warm and gooey, like most OTLs.

As always, let your ears decide, and don't buy without hearing both.
Have you heard the LTA MZ3 which is a ZOTL amp? whatever the Z does technically they claim it retains the clarity et details of SS, which seems a bit like what you describe of the MHA200.

Jun 24, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #169 of 1,184
Wow, I love this amp and what it can do with just a Hugo 2 and a 64 Audio U18t! Thanks @TSAVJason and Wayne!

Halie Loren never sounded better!

Honda needs you to put Mc in an NSX 👌

A28F5BBF-87EC-4A7E-B7FD-01B208D028B3.jpeg
3BFD4DE5-151C-4E10-AC82-1FE40606E60F.jpeg
B5F40CF9-E68D-4CE6-8DC8-868A478EFCBE.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #171 of 1,184
Wow awesome gear. Would you recommend the M-Scaler?
I love my M-scaler. I haven't hooked up the MHA200 to my TT2/M-Scaler yet. I am expecting that if the Hugo2 sounds like this then the TT2/M-Scalar with Kimber Kable Silver Streaks is going to reach another level. Also, if you do get the M-Scaler, I tried several USB Cables and found I like Wireworld Starlight 7 USB 2.0 cable running out of a SuperSpeed USB port. For some reason, everything opens up.

The M-Scaler/TT2 is a little warmer, richer sound with more body to it than the Hugo2. The M-Scaler/TT2 has a little more resolution and more refinement than the Hugo2.
I don't disagree with what most reviewers have written about the M-Scaler. Sorry if your question was about pairing up the MHA200 with the M-Scaler/TT2. Will get to that later on. This unit is less than a day old. I am just settling the unit in with a bit of burn in and taking it with me around the house.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #172 of 1,184
Wow, I love this amp and what it can do with just a Hugo 2 and a 64 Audio U18t! Thanks @TSAVJason and Wayne!

Halie Loren never sounded better!

Honda needs you to put Mc in an NSX 👌

A28F5BBF-87EC-4A7E-B7FD-01B208D028B3.jpeg
Welcome to the club! I haven't jumped down the IEM rabbit hole at all...yet. What are your running? And do you have any recs in the $500-$1000 price range?

Almost went with the Qutest with the MHA200...but settled on a BiFrost 2 - very happy with the pairing!

Jun 25, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #173 of 1,184
Welcome to the club! I haven't jumped down the IEM rabbit hole at all...yet. What are your running? And do you have any recs in the $500-$1000 price range?

Almost went with the Qutest with the MHA200...but settled on a BiFrost 2 - very happy with the pairing!
I am using 64 Audio U12t, U18t, and Noble Khan, Kaiser 10U. IEM Wires I use Wagnus, which are about $1100 for the Holy Sheep. The U18t is my favorite, but it is about $3000 with stock wires. Headphones I use Focal Utopia and ZMF Verite Closed backs. I also have ZMF Eikon that I love very much.

Haven't tried many IEMs in the $500 range that I like. IEMs are the worst Cost performance ratio in my opinion.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #174 of 1,184
Has anyone tried the input tube suggestion from the Positive Feedback review (Mullard 12AT7/CV4024 NOS tubes)?

My dealer got the MHA200 in for me last week but I’m on vacation - I usually never look forward to coming back to the USA - not this time!

Jun 29, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #175 of 1,184
We actually demo with both the McIntosh OE tubes and the Mullards. It’s definitely a different presentation for sure. I highly suggest you become accustomed to the OE tubes before any tube rolling but the mullards do act a little more aggressively if you like that type of sound.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 30, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #176 of 1,184
We actually demo with both the McIntosh OE tubes and the Mullards. It’s definitely a different presentation for sure. I highly suggest you become accustomed to the OE tubes before any tube rolling but the mullards do act a little more aggressively if you like that type of sound.
Thank you, Jason.

Is there a replaceable fuse inside the unit? From the pictures, I didn't see a fuse holder and the manual doesn't mention one, unlike most of their other products.

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #177 of 1,184
Thank you, Jason.

Is there a replaceable fuse inside the unit? From the pictures, I didn't see a fuse holder and the manual doesn't mention one, unlike most of their other products.
I haven’t opened up a chassis to check but I am not aware of an internal fuse.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 8, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #179 of 1,184
The red glow on the above tube is apparently know as red plating and can result in serious damage to the amp. It came and went only to return many hours later. Result amp is out of service and going in for evaluation and repair ASAP. Ran the amp unbalanced input for a week then went balanced input. This problem emerged after going balanced. Wonder if it was a coincidence, cause, or revealed an underplaying weakness? In any event if your new MHA200 starts showing red plates shut it down and get it serviced…

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #180 of 1,184
The red glow on the above tube is apparently know as red plating and can result in serious damage to the amp. It came and went only to return many hours later. Result amp is out of service and going in for evaluation and repair ASAP. Ran the amp unbalanced input for a week then went balanced input. This problem emerged after going balanced. Wonder if it was a coincidence, cause, or revealed an underplaying weakness? In any event if your new MHA200 starts showing red plates shut it down and get it serviced…
I also had one of the 12BH7 tubes go bad, a loud crackle from one of the tubes, when switching positions of the two 12B's, it followed the tube. Replaced both with a couple of matched Electro-Harmonix golds and all sounds great again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back