MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
Feb 7, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #46 of 1,316
YoQuote:
Don't understand the "painful price" comments at all.
Priced a Woo Audio, Head Amp, Cavalli, or any other high end headphone amp for that matter??
$5-6K is the norm, and those amps don't have a built in DAC, or speaker amp. And there's no brand name there to speak of, vs a McIntosh.
This amp is a downright bargain!!

Well to be fair I think some of them are equally ridiculous in pricing, especially ones like the Cavalli LAu and Abyss headphones for one.  Though I give Cavalli a small pass because he is working on very small, hand built volume and has to include a large margin to compensate his own labor.  When you buy one it's for exclusivity, not high value performance.  Headamp prices are actually somewhat fair considering his low volume as well.  I think that $3k or maybe or maybe $3.5k would be better for the Macintosh.  If it were sold factory direct maybe even $2.5k or less

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #47 of 1,316
The E.A.R. HP4 goes for five grand and doesn't include a DAC.
Like the Mcintosh kit, E.A.R. stuff tends to hold its value well making it possibly, a better investment than many initially cheaper alternatives.

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #48 of 1,316
  I also wonder if the dials will work well with headphones hooked up.  The Image shows that the dials are in Watts which goes from 0-50, so unless they are driving hungry Head phones, it might be moving that needle very slightly :)  Or do they go to a different scale when it detects head phones vs Speakers. 

It seems to me that Innerfidelity's CES 2014 video shows the scale starting at fractions of milliwatts. The picture below from Mono and Stereo indicate the same.

Innerfidelity: "CES 2014 McIntosh MHA100 Headphone Amplifier"

Mono and Stereo

Wired

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #49 of 1,316
Feb 13, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #51 of 1,316
Have McIntosh gone out of their way to not release or allows photos of the rear of the unit to be released?
I can't find any anywhere for love or money.
I wonder if this means the final specs haven't yet been set?

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #54 of 1,316
Mcintosh sure is sexy :))

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #59 of 1,316
  *Crickets ...*

I believe it does.  Was poking around google at some random sites trying to get information a while back, and I think it mentioned a DAC out.  Don't have any of the links/reviews though, there wasn't a whole lot to be dug up.  I guess we'll just have to wait until June and see how it performs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back