McChanson amps tube rolling thread
May 9, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #256 of 594
When you say die, what do you mean? Often times, it's the way you seat the tube in the adapter. You may have to adjust the contact points in the adapter. I do not like these pins or duck feets.
I did everything, adjusted, reinserted and plugged in 4 different tubes. No sound came out and all the tubes were not even lit up, the adapter was a dud.

May 9, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #258 of 594
Back yesterday...still a bit jet lagged but look forward to catching up with you Matt, and all of my UltimatE friends! :ksc75smile:

May 9, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #259 of 594
Back yesterday...still a bit jet lagged but look forward to catching up with you Matt, and all of my UltimatE friends! :ksc75smile:

When I tell my wife that I have an ultimate amp and ultimate friends, she said what !!!

That's before I tell her that I have ultimate tubes. Let's not talk about ultimate adapters. :relaxed:

May 9, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #260 of 594
When I tell my wife that I have an ultimate amp and ultimate friends, she said what !!!

That's before I tell her that I have ultimate tubes. Let's not talk about ultimate adapters. :relaxed:
Ultimate amp. ultimate friends, ultimate tubes and adapters. Aren't you afraid that she will give you a final Ultimatum? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :laughing::joy:

May 9, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #261 of 594
Ultimate amp. ultimate friends, ultimate tubes and adapters. Aren't you afraid that she will give you a final Ultimatum? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :laughing::joy:

Not me. It's you. You got 2 top of the line McChanson amps in less than 2 months. :beyersmile:

The only time I was this extravagant was when I got Odyssey and then paid for Telemachus. That could buy me 4 McChanson amps.

May 9, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #262 of 594
If you look at the pictures I posted on ATS25 and VT60, they look immaculate. Even the labels look quite new. If they were made in 1940s, that's ~ 80 years old.

The pins still look quite new and when you shake the tube, there is nothing loose. It's just in top notch condition.

Were they really made in 1940s?

May 9, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #263 of 594
It's a bit early to tell for sure but if you need some feedback, here's my take on them.

Analogy is the best way to describe these...

ATS25 is like the GEC 6as7g and VT60 is like the Tung Sol 5998. :relaxed: Which is better, now that's a really tough choice. :relaxed:

As to which is earlier, I thought the ATS25 is earlier but I could be wrong. They are both described as being made in the 1940s, WW2.

Just did a back to back again with these tubes. Every time I listen with VT60, I find the punch and kick stronger. Every time I listen to the ATS25, I find it really rich in tone and glorious. Mind you they are not all that different but those traits are what comes to mind when I try them.

Even though I said that the Russian G-807 appealed with it's clarity and slight brighter, the GEC texture are what sets them apart and in a league of their own. These tubes are good enough to remain in the amp for a long time. :relaxed:

May 9, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #264 of 594
Today setup and tube roll. Ultimate - 6S3P and GEC 807 VT60 and Odyssey - Tung Sol 6SU7gty and EL39. Ultimate as preamp. Contrary to beliefs that tube amps are not as revealing as solid states, these amps needs to be listened to. Not only is it super revealing but it is also holographic with a 3D presentation. This is as analogue and natural sounding as the HD800 can get. Not a treble spike or sibilance from the unmodified Sennheiser.

IMG_9277.jpg

May 9, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #265 of 594
Today setup and tube roll. Ultimate - 6S3P and GEC 807 VT60 and Odyssey - Tung Sol 6SU7gty and EL39. Ultimate as preamp. Contrary to beliefs that tube amps are not as revealing as solid states, these amps needs to be listened to. Not only is it super revealing but it is also holographic with a 3D presentation. This is as analogue and natural sounding as the HD800 can get. Not a treble spike or sibilance from the unmodified Sennheiser.

IMG_9277.jpg
Have you done much driver tube rolling with the 807 ? I have only tried the GEC A2900 , RCA 6J5 and Cossor(GEC) 6C5G of those I preferred A2900 . Which drivers have you found synergised the best ?

May 9, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #266 of 594
Have you done much driver tube rolling with the 807 ? I have only tried the GEC A2900 , RCA 6J5 and Cossor(GEC) 6C5G of those I preferred A2900 . Which drivers have you found synergised the best ?

I'm stuck with 6S3P and GEC A2900 as drivers with 807. I've also tried ECC35. I think I tried Russian 6S8S / 6C8C but I prefer stronger gain drivers. A lot of drivers to try but I'm swamped with ideas here. :relaxed:

In a couple of days time, I will see Eric to have him swap out the Milflex kpcu-01 for Russian FT-3 as an experiment. I will also pick up from him 6S45P drivers and Mullard EL84, RCA 6L6GC black plates - on loan ! :relaxed:

A KT170 amp is going to be ready soon and I want to audition it again with Susvara using KT170 tubes and 6EM7 drivers. I can use the GEC 807 in this golden amp and all my other power tubes. :relaxed:

May 9, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #267 of 594
Which drivers have you found synergised the best ?

6S3P and A2900 for now. 6S3P or EC86 are incredibly beautiful sounding drivers. Wide soundstage, clarity and details. It's ironic that I love these cheap drivers amongst my other expensive drivers.

I will however try GEC L63 next. That cost as much as the GEC 807. :smirk:

May 9, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #268 of 594
I'm stuck with 6S3P and GEC A2900 as drivers with 807. I've also tried ECC35. I think I tried Russian 6S8S / 6C8C but I prefer stronger gain drivers. A lot of drivers to try but I'm swamped with ideas here. :relaxed:

In a couple of days time, I will see Eric to have him swap out the Milflex kpcu-01 for Russian FT-3 as an experiment. I will also pick up from him 6S45P drivers and Mullard EL84, RCA 6L6GC black plates - on loan ! :relaxed:

A KT170 amp is going to be ready soon and I want to audition it again with Susvara using KT170 tubes and 6EM7 drivers. I can use the GEC 807 in this golden amp and all my other power tubes. :relaxed:
Since I have KT170 tubes running in my Ultimate Mini, what specific changes come with a KT170 amp?

May 9, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #269 of 594
Wow just wow. GEC L63 and GEC 807. Headphone is HD800 so you can relate to why I find this combination superb. Mundorf Supreme SGO caps selected.

I usually try to mix and match drivers and power tubes but this all GEC outfit is the ultimate. :relaxed:

IMG_9279.jpg

May 9, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #270 of 594
Since I have KT170 tubes running in my Ultimate Mini, what specific changes come with a KT170 amp?

Good question. This KT170 amp is a speaker amp but tailored also for headphone listening. Eric specially made it as quiet as possible. It should be very quiet with Susvara and HD800. Notable changes are this amp output 8 watts and use the powerful 6EM7 2 stage drivers. Power supply is also bigger and it uses the 5 volt rectifier.

This amp also have the voltage set higher than Ultimate, so you cannot use lower voltage power tubes such as the 6Y6G but then why would you. This is a muscular amp. It is more at home using KT88, EL34, KT150, KT170.

and it is fixed bias. Meaning you have to set the mA according to the power tubes used.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back