McChanson amps tube rolling thread
May 23, 2024 at 12:35 AM Post #587 of 956
Do you remember GE 6Y6G? Well, this is the tube that Eric sent with the Ultimate. Tried it now again after a long hiatus with all manner of power tubes de jour.

Nothing like experience - the 6Y6G is a great sounding tube!

GE drivers and power tubes; maybe the exception to the rule, but this sounds very good.

IMG_2664.jpg

The old pre 1945 GE 6J5 are great sounding drivers as well.

May 23, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #588 of 956
Telefunken c3gs, GEC 807 ATS25 and Tesla EZ81. So impressed with what I hear, I've just ordered STC 5a/152m tubes and 5a/152m to 6J5 adapters from Mrs X.

Please note - Mrs X said today is the last day. Tomorrow morning every items of hers will be taken off ebay. It's the end of an era.

IMG_9367.jpg
Nice Matt...great minds thinking alike on this thread. I also ordered 5A-152M w/adapters from Mrs X before she closed shop. I also decided to try 5B-255M which are an 807 variant without the anode cap. Thanks to @VanHai for guidance on the 5A-152M option. I REALLY should stop buying tubes but they all sound SOOOO good in UltimatE with just enough variation in sound character to keep it interesting. An issue now is I am out of room in my tube storage space, seemed more than ample when I started this journey several years ago. Guess I'll relegate some tubes I don't use often to a secondary space, bubble wrapped in a shoebox or some other inelegant solution.

I can stop anytime I want to though, really I can. :xf_wink:

May 23, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #589 of 956
My mind goes back to 2016 when I had Feliks Audio Elise. That was when I first started buying adapters from xulingmrs. Seems like a long time ago. Sure will miss her.
When I corresponded with Mrs X recently I learned 2 things:

1. I believe "she" is a man, mentioned having a wife and kids!
2. Noted possibly of a return to making adapters once re-located / re-settled.

For now, we can only wish xulingmrs well and eventual return to the adapter-crafting work. :pray:

May 23, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #590 of 956

I can too. I tell my dog that all the time and he believe me. Running out of space. Time to throw out the trophies and skull.

There are 2 more big boxes but these ones I use all the time.

IMG_9368.jpg

May 23, 2024 at 2:10 AM Post #592 of 956
I can too. I tell my dog that all the time and he believe me. Running out of space. Time to throw out the trophies and skull.

IMG_9368.jpg
Matt I think you should receive trophies for your tube rolling prowess!

May 23, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #593 of 956
I REALLY should stop buying tubes but they all sound SOOOO good in UltimatE with just enough variation in sound character to keep it interesting.

This statement is 100% correct. I have never had a tube amp that is so adaptable. Not GOTL or any of the tube amps before it. Ultimate is the ultimate.

Not only is it adaptable but the tubes sound their best in Ultimate. Even Odyssey is not that adaptable.

I had a listen with GEC 807 ATS25 in both Ultimate and Odyssey. Sadly it sound better in Ultimate. :relaxed:

May 23, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #594 of 956

The trophies are probably the awards where Ultimate won and the skull is supposed to symbolise the brain behind it 😁.

May 23, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #596 of 956
Do you remember GE 6Y6G? Well, this is the tube that Eric sent with the Ultimate. Tried it now again after a long hiatus with all manner of power tubes de jour.

Nothing like experience - the 6Y6G is a great sounding tube!

GE drivers and power tubes; maybe the exception to the rule, but this sounds very good.

IMG_2664.jpg

The old pre 1945 GE 6J5 are great sounding drivers as well.
GE gets so much hate, but I have found many of their power and driver tubes wonderful. Sure, you're definitely not going to be the "cool kid", but that's not of my concern.

May 23, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #599 of 956
Nice Matt...great minds thinking alike on this thread. I also ordered 5A-152M w/adapters from Mrs X before she closed shop. I also decided to try 5B-255M which are an 807 variant without the anode cap. Thanks to @VanHai for guidance on the 5A-152M option. I REALLY should stop buying tubes but they all sound SOOOO good in UltimatE with just enough variation in sound character to keep it interesting. An issue now is I am out of room in my tube storage space, seemed more than ample when I started this journey several years ago. Guess I'll relegate some tubes I don't use often to a secondary space, bubble wrapped in a shoebox or some other inelegant solution.

Reminds me of a childhood friend who was a smoker. He said that he could quit smoking any time - he did it many times already!
Tube rolling really is an addiction. What I am struggling with is that I have found tube combinations that I am very happy with, but I still keep on wanting to try more.
One thing that puts the brakes on (a little) is the endless need for new adapters, especially when they cost more than the tubes…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back