McChanson amps tube rolling thread
May 21, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #571 of 954
1716321167500.jpeg
This is a photo of your tube and I see a code low down, below bottom mica through the glass and the first digit looks like the Heerlen factory code. I can't see the date code that comes after.

Unfortunately I don't see any code on the tube except the one with the white chalk colour.

@mordy Thank you,๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™ I saw a nice cheap Ken Rad pair,๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡.

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #572 of 954
Unfortunately I don't see any code on the tube except the one with the white chalk colour.

@mordy Thank you,๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™ I saw a nice cheap Ken Rad pair,๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡.

Is that not a picture of your tube?

1716324087058.png
1716324092243.png

May 21, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #576 of 954
If those are the Raytheon 6J5WGT, they are magnificent imho. I have stocked up on those and their 12V counterparts, 12J5WGT tubes.

Yes,they are Raytheon WGT,๐Ÿ˜.
Sounds good, what you say about the Ratheon.Thank You,๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™.
They are relatively cheap, โ‚ฌ95 a pair.
The rest are also military versions and all NIB.
The Rca look super nice visually, would look good on the Ultimate, especially the silver version.
The RT are more of a curiosity about French sound, again more in keeping with my nostalgic Ultimate look ๐Ÿ˜‡.
I really need to stop looking for and buying driver tubes for the Ultimate.
I really have more than enough.
More choice of output tubes would be better.๐Ÿ˜

May 21, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #577 of 954
Yes,they are Raytheon WGT,๐Ÿ˜.
Sounds good, what you say about the Ratheon.Thank You,๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™.
They are relatively cheap, โ‚ฌ95 a pair.
The rest are also military versions and all NIB.
The Rca look super nice visually, would look good on the Ultimate, especially the silver version.
The RT are more of a curiosity about French sound, again more in keeping with my nostalgic Ultimate look ๐Ÿ˜‡.
I really need to stop looking for and buying driver tubes for the Ultimate.
I really have more than enough.
More choice of output tubes would be better.๐Ÿ˜
I cringe when people spend so much on tubes. Look at this offering from France for 5 Ken-Rad 6C5 tubes:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2764703864...l5wHUASkuq9aVeVqzrZFsJ9w==|tkp:Bk9SR4rT_tHzYw
Shipping from France to Germany should be cheap. The K-R 6C5 is a very good sounding tube.

May 21, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #578 of 954
May 21, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #579 of 954
Yes, but there is no code on my tube.
Otherwise I would have to ask the seller again.
It could be that I wiped it off when cleaning and completely overlooked it.
The tube was dirty.
If you are interested in possible information about your tubes you could check the codes and write them down before cleaning them. I have Valvo branded E80CC made by Philips in Heerlen and I have Philips branded tubes made by Valvo in Hamburg. I also have Mullard branded E80CC made by Philips in Heerlen. The codes tell you what it actually is. Branding is just branding.

May 22, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #580 of 954
I have a really old pair from the second half of the 1930's of 6J5 GE metal tubes that sound good. Had in mind to try to find an old pair GE 6C5 with the same orange paint.
While cleaning up today I found that I had a second box of 6C5 tubes that I totally forgot about. Looked through it and guess what? There was an old pair of GE orange paint 6C5 in the box! The date code on both tubes is 43-C 2. If no one challenges me to it I think it means second week March 1943.
Probably I am the only one who doesn't know exactly which tubes I have and where they are...LOL.
It is impossible to know if these 81 year old tubes are new or not - the boxes are long gone. In addition, the old metal tubes have thick metal and need at least 1/2 hour to warm up.
First impression is good midrange and treble but less bass than similar Ken-Rads. Also less forward than the Ken-Rads. However, need to give them more time - we have to wait to see where they take us.
After some 30 minutes they start to open up - sound better now. Much better.
And now for the obligatory picture:
IMG_2659.jpg

Look Ma! (Almost) no rust!
The output tubes are early 50's Sylvania 6BL7 with parallel plates - one of my favorite power tubes in the Ultimate.

May 22, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #581 of 954
If you are interested in possible information about your tubes you could check the codes and write them down before cleaning them. I have Valvo branded E80CC made by Philips in Heerlen and I have Philips branded tubes made by Valvo in Hamburg. I also have Mullard branded E80CC made by Philips in Heerlen. The codes tell you what it actually is. Branding is just branding.
I asked the seller for codes for his second tube.
I deliberately did not blur the code if I did not see it.
Is it possible to find out where the tube comes from based on the construction?
My best guess is Germany.

@mordy nice Ken red do you link it and nice pair from you,๐Ÿ‘.

May 22, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #582 of 954
I asked the seller for codes for his second tube.
I deliberately did not blur the code if I did not see it.
Is it possible to find out where the tube comes from based on the construction?
My best guess is Germany.

@mordy nice Ken red do you link it and nice pair from you,๐Ÿ‘.
If the photo from your eBay link shows your tube, my best guess is the better one. But maybe you bought it from Germany? If so, it comes from Germany :)

May 22, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #583 of 954
If the photo from your eBay link shows your tube, my best guess is the better one. But maybe you bought it from Germany? If so, it comes from Germany :)

I'll take a few photos of it.
I bought them in Germany, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.
I've had a few good deals where the sellers didn't know what they had.
Recent deals like Ez81 Telefunken, Rca12At7 JRC, which by the way is really good with its blackplates.
EL84 Tungsram new for 20โ‚ฌ only labelled differently.
Some tubes have certainly passed through more than a few hands. :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile:

May 23, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #584 of 954
Telefunken c3gs, GEC 807 ATS25 and Tesla EZ81. So impressed with what I hear, I've just ordered STC 5a/152m tubes and 5a/152m to 6J5 adapters from Mrs X.

Please note - Mrs X said today is the last day. Tomorrow morning every items of hers will be taken off ebay. It's the end of an era.

IMG_9367.jpg

May 23, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #585 of 954
:frowning2: I dont blame them from pulling from ebay - fees are extortionate now, maintaining their own webpage is much better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back