McChanson amps tube rolling thread
May 9, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #241 of 683
These ones. Had it for a long time. The bottles last forever.

IMG_9273.jpg
This is what I use instead of deoxit:
IMG_2632.jpg

No fuss no muss - just a quick scraping with the thin blade on each tube pin until they are shiny.
Victorinox or Wenger - whatever I find first in my drawer.
This is based on a scientific paper from the 40's that I read a long time ago comparing different ways of cleaning tube pins. The conclusion was that metal to metal cleaning and contact worked the best. Unfortunately I lost the reference - maybe someone knows about it.

May 9, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #242 of 683
IMG_2632.jpg
No fuss no muss - just a quick scraping with the thin blade on each tube pin until they are shiny.
This is based on a scientific paper from the 40's that I read a long time ago comparing different ways of cleaning tube pins. The conclusion was that metal to metal cleaning and contact worked the best. Unfortunately I lost the reference - maybe someone knows about it.

and it's a red and gold knives.

May 9, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #244 of 683
G-807 Ulyanovsk in action. Pair cost just below US$20 including postage. Despite the cheap price, it sounds really good with 6S3P as drivers. As with the Philips 807 russian pair, these sound brighter and more neutral with the added benefit of absolute clarity, fast attack to musical notes without sounding sibilant and no fatigue.

Cheap and looking great. A winning recipe for sure.

IMG_9275.jpg

May 9, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #245 of 683
IMG_2632.jpg

Different purpose Mordy. You use knife or sand paper if the pins are rusted or corroded. After you've done that then sealed with DeOxit.

For new tubes with clean pins, I just lightly coat with the gold deoxit.

May 9, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #247 of 683
:beyersmile:

So you were amazed by these tubes too. I was when I first heard the ATS25. The VT60 from the same seller is just as amazing. Tonally it's slightly different but I can't quite articulate it. They are both very good. Definitely worth getting both pairs if none other than having a spare pair excuse.

Even the glass on both tubes are different but these are pretty thick glass. Exceptional build quality.

Which one hits harder down low, if you don't mind me asking? I am about to buy some and not sure which one to go with first. Have you developed a better understanding of how they differ yet?

I believe the VT60 are earlier. . .

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #248 of 683
Looks @Deyan is about to get a lot more business. . .

I find that really hard to believe. Compared to me they are a real factory, why close her store. I can't make ends meet with only adapter making, yet I don't quit. And the way I see it for every adapter I sell she is probably selling a couple hundred, I doesn't make sense.

May 9, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #249 of 683
I find that really hard to believe. Compared to me they are a real factory, why close her store. I can't make ends meet with only adapter making, yet I don't quit. And the way I see it for every adapter I sell she is probably selling a couple hundred, I doesn't make sense.

Perhaps the profit margin for adapters is low and ebay fees are getting higher. In any case definitely don't quit because I will get some nice aluminium adapters for 5b/254m from you.

May 9, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #250 of 683
Which one hits harder down low, if you don't mind me asking? I am about to buy some and not sure which one to go with first. Have you developed a better understanding of how they differ yet?

I believe the VT60 are earlier. . .

It's a bit early to tell for sure but if you need some feedback, here's my take on them.

Analogy is the best way to describe these...

ATS25 is like the GEC 6as7g and VT60 is like the Tung Sol 5998. :relaxed: Which is better, now that's a really tough choice. :relaxed:

As to which is earlier, I thought the ATS25 is earlier but I could be wrong. They are both described as being made in the 1940s, WW2.

May 9, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #252 of 683
The reactions I get most of the time are a pretty powerful drug and quitting is harder than it sounds.

I think you're describing about tubes and tube amps lovers. :relaxed:

To my ears, listening to a nice pair of headphone through a nice tube amp with nice tubes is a very powerful drug.

May 9, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #253 of 683
The problem is a faulty adapter. After doing extensive testing, the adapter just gave up.
You jinxed us Matt :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, just kidding. I was so excited to receive my adapters from Mrs X, so I can run the Sakuma style on EL3N. Unfortunately, 1 of the adapters died on arrival. I emailed her and hopefully will receive the replacement soon. In the meantime, listening to this combination is great and beautiful sound. Bendix 6106, El3N and 5A/152M.

PXL_20240509_184628799 (2).jpg

May 9, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #254 of 683
Unfortunately, 1 of the adapters died on arrival.

When you say die, what do you mean? Often times, it's the way you seat the tube in the adapter. You may have to adjust the contact points in the adapter. I do not like these pins or duck feets.

May 9, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #255 of 683
The reactions I get most of the time are a pretty powerful drug and quitting is harder than it sounds.
I for one owe a lot to Deyan, class guy making great adapters at reasonable prices. Hope you get a bit of pleasing reaction to this post, @Deyan ... you deserve it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back