McChanson amps tube rolling thread
May 24, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #676 of 957
.I think it's common sense to match bright drivers with warm power tubes to balance it out and vice versa....
Yes, that, or vice versa w/bright driver (EG - Slvania VT-107A) and warmer power tube (EG - Mullard EL34). I also find that if I am using a lower mu driver I switch to the XLR output on Super UltimatE which has higher gain.

Why do we put ourselves through all of these machinations? because it's FUN, and it sounds GREAT!

May 24, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #677 of 957
Yes, that, or vice versa w/bright driver (EG - Slvania VT-107A) and warmer power tube (EG - Mullard EL34). I also find that if I am using a lower mu driver I switch to the XLR output on Super UltimatE which has higher gain.

Why do we put ourselves through all of these machinations? because it's FUN, and it sounds GREAT!

I chuckle at my common sense statement but Lory you need to get Deyan's adapters pronto. If the 5b/255m are as good as the 5b/254m, then this is literally the only power tubes you need. I have every reason to believe that the 5b/255m are similar sounding as 5b/254m.

In fact I told Eric that Ultimate should be provided with 5b/254m power tubes going forward. Langrex still has 1772 but not for long. :beyersmile:

May 24, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #678 of 957
No he has quit. This job is too hard. It's constantly changing. You don't need a spreadsheet. Everyone should be an expert now. Every tube and adapter should be at fingertips. :wink:
Guys, I am sorry for being 3 days behind, but I am catching up!
Nobody is quitting here... :unamused:

Please send a PM, and I will add to the tube compatibility table :wink:

May 24, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #679 of 957

Good On Ya Zachik :) Thanks from everyone too busy or too rude to thank you :)

May 24, 2024 at 2:13 AM Post #680 of 957
I chuckle at my common sense statement but Lory you need to get Deyan's adapters pronto. If the 5b/255m are as good as the 5b/254m, then this is literally the only power tubes you need. I have every reason to believe that the 5b/255m are similar sounding as 5b/254m.

In fact I told Eric that Ultimate should be provided with 5b/254m power tubes going forward. Langrex still has 1772 but not for long. :beyersmile:
I have Mrs X's 5B-255M adapters en route, but going forward I think Deyan will be "da man" for many of us! :muscle:

May 24, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #682 of 957
@UntilThen Are 5b/254A/M all output tubes for Ultimate?

Definitely. Don't think of using it as drivers. They are 807 equivalent. c3gs as driver into those power tubes and it's a great combination. It's sitting in Ultimate for a long while.

May 24, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #683 of 957

Apologies Zachik at humour that went wrong. I am going to step back now from posting and only post when new builds are made in the other appreciation thread.

May 24, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #684 of 957

Thanks from me too @Zachik ! I use it frequently! Much appreciated!🙏

May 24, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #685 of 957
Definitely. Don't think of using it as drivers. They are 807 equivalent. c3gs as driver into those power tubes and it's a great combination. It's sitting in Ultimate for a long while.
@Zachik

Thank you Matt, just wanted to ask again to avoid misunderstandings as I have also ordered the adapters from Mrs X.
I have ordered the 254M, but I have not yet ordered the tubes.
I will order them together with the 807 you suggested where you once linked.

I haven't even tried 807 yet, although I've had the adapters here for 9 months.
Too bad about me.
I took it as a joke with Zachik and he probably did.
In fact you just have to write to him and he'll reply as soon as he can, he's a good guy.
Just have a bit of patience that's all.👍👍👍👍👍

May 24, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #686 of 957
I have Mrs X's 5B-255M adapters en route, but going forward I think Deyan will be "da man" for many of us! :muscle:
I just ordered a pair from @Deyan , couldn’t resist the price on a pair of 5b-254m !🤔😂

May 24, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #690 of 957

Users who are viewing this thread

Back