McChanson amps tube rolling thread
May 23, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #646 of 957
Eric sent me a 12AV7 that has a mu of 37. I have had good results with a similar tube that has a mu of 47. To me it seems to be more an art than science how to match up drivers with power tubes in relation to the mu - trial and error.
On the other hand, it seems to me that some people have some kind of formula in mind when they match up input and output tubes. Perhaps someone can explain to me if there is a way to predict the synergy between input and output tubes?

It's more to do with the headphones you're using. With a warmer sounding headphone like Atrium, you'll want more energy from your tubes, hence higher gain. With a very inefficient headphone like Susvara you definitely want higher gain tube.

With my very efficient Grado GH1, a 20 mu is more than sufficient. The less the better with Grados.

I think it's common sense to match bright drivers with warm power tubes to balance it out and vice versa. However sometimes uncommon sense prevails when you specifically choose a bright setup or a very warm setup.

For example I am usually someone who prefers transparency and neutrality but when I listen with Audeze LCD4 and Auris Nirvana, the chocolate syrupy sound taste good in mouth literally.

So no formula. On Monday, you like bright sound. On Tuesday, a bit more moderate. On Wednesday you're almost over the hill, so you start to gravitate towards warmth. Come Friday, you're all blues and smokey. On the weekend, you pass out and just sleep in.

May 23, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #649 of 957
@David A Silva
I'm glad to hear that, then you definitely haven't done anything wrong with 6J5.
Personally, I would prefer a driver tube with a little less staek.

@UntilThen thanks, I almost gave up but my head wouldn't let me.
I actually thought about lengthening the leads but didn't want to, in the end I'm glad I did it though, the caps aren't long and narrow but thick.
Thicker than the Vcaps.
Will post pics soon and reveal the secret.

@mordy Formula well indirectly yes.👍
Actually I think the impedance of the headphones plays a role but it can be seen further back.
In reality the trick is that you know exactly what your output tubes have at Mu gain or after ear.
An EL81 for example harmonises very well with 300ohm headphones with a 6SL7/5751/12ax7.
Logically, the more you have in your selection, the better you can tune the sound colour.
The last part would be to distinguish how many ohms the headphones have.
For low ohms I would start with 12AU7/6SN7 and if necessary increase to 12AT7 if EL81 are used.
Roughly speaking, 12AT7 is always a healthy average that shows you the way, less or more.
With EL84 it is rather the other way round, the tube is so strong that a 12au/6SN7/6J5 is better to drive.
However, this does not mean that a low-impedance headphone with EL84 is too extreme.
You will probably have to be a little more careful with the potentiometer as it starts to get powerful at 8 o'clock.

I don't know how it is with the other Ultimates.
With my Junior, when I set the potentiometer to zero and change tubes and when the tubes are warm, you can easily hear music.
That's how you can tell how the amplification is.
Quiet is low, loud is medium, louder is already very high.

That's actually all, it takes 2-3 tries until it clicks but after that it's child's play.Ultimate is also really powerful in this respect if you use it correctly and tune everything according to the sound you want and know.

May 23, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #651 of 957
@Deyan 's adapters arrived and I won't sugar coat things. I will give my appraisal of his adapters as I see it. :relaxed: If it is crap I will say it. If it is good I will give it 5 stars and nominate it for the next Oscar.

Well? It is going to be nominated for the next Oscar. These adapters are tight and made of the best materials. I am impressed and I don't usually get impressed with adapters except for Woo Audio 596 adapter.

These 5b/254m to 6L6 adapters are great. Plain and simple. Now open up your wallet and get him to make them for you - right now !

See it use the russian sockets.
IMG_9372.jpg

With the tubes, it's like a work of art. The tubes insert smoothly unlike Mrs X ones. Those wires are rubber insulated. I like ! That's aluminum covering at the base.
IMG_9373.jpg

May 23, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #652 of 957
No he has quit. This job is too hard. It's constantly changing. You don't need a spreadsheet. Everyone should be an expert now. Every tube and adapter should be at fingertips. :wink:
Thats not helpful for New Customers of Eric's great amps ESPECIALLY the UltimatE I thought you said you were going to do it & pin to the first post? I would if i was capable, you're the most capable ion here with the most knowledge!

May 23, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #653 of 957
Finally does it even work? :relaxed: Of course it does. Here with Telefunken c3gs as drivers and ITT 5B/254M as power tubes. After one year there are very few surprises with tubes but I must say this combination surprised me again. I love it !

If you love energy drink and who doesn't, this is it but it comes in audio form.

It will look even better if the c3g has the same aluminium adapters. :relaxed:

IMG_9374 (1).jpg

May 23, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #654 of 957
Thats not helpful for New Customers of Eric's great amps ESPECIALLY the UltimatE I thought you said you were going to do it & pin to the first post? I would if i was capable, you're the most capable ion here with the most knowledge!

It will be done but it might take some time because I have a lot of things on my plate. I get a lot of private messages from prospective customers of Ultimate in addition to still offering to test Matt's and Hai's new amps.

Of course I have to make sure that my lawn is more immaculate than my neighbours. That means cutting the grass with a scissor.

May 23, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #656 of 957
I spoke with @Zachik and asked if he would grant me permission to edit and/or take over the Tube compatibility spreadsheet and he said -
"Sorry mate - I prefer to avoid "too many cooks in the kitchen"...
If you want me to add specific tubes that were verified - please PM me."
So its all good , he's just busy

May 23, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #657 of 957
I spoke with @Zachik and asked if he would grant me permission to edit and/or take over the Tube compatibility spreadsheet and he said -
"Sorry mate - I prefer to avoid "too many cooks in the kitchen"...
If you want me to add specific tubes that were verified - please PM me."
So its all good , he's just busy

That's good then. I can go back to cutting my lawn. However just know that a lot of the adapters are no longer readily and cheaply available.

I think we need to cut back on adapters and keep only those tubes that are truly exceptional and not roll every tubes under the sun.

May 23, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #658 of 957
Finally does it even work? :relaxed: Of course it does. Here with Telefunken c3gs as drivers and ITT 5B/254M as power tubes. After one year there are very few surprises with tubes but I must say this combination surprised me again. I love it !

If you love energy drink and who doesn't, this is it but it comes in audio form.

It will look even better if the c3g has the same aluminium adapters. :relaxed:

IMG_9374 (1).jpg
Looking good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back