Mazda3 or Toyota Corolla
Mar 8, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #61 of 81
Have you guys seen the new upcoming Honda Fit?

http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/index.aspx

222hondafitsport531x222.jpg

07fitb2.jpg

intro_main.jpg

It's supposed to go on sale in April.

MSRP starting around $13-$14K.

The interior is really neat. Very very roomy.

My wife wants to wait on the Civic and check out the Fit before deciding, considering how much cheaper the Fit is.

BTW, if I'm derailing this Mazda3 vs. Corolla thread, shall I start another thread? I think my car shopping is heading towards the more practical end while it sseems that the OP wants something more sporty, but all of these are in the same class and price range.

-Ed

Mar 9, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #62 of 81
Ed, it doesn't bother me one bit. I agree it would be a very similar thread.

I have pretty much decided to go with the Mazda3. The only problem is there are none with the options and color I want, but I can compromise -- I want Titanium with the moonroof package, safety package, and spoiler; I can get Sunlight Silver with only the first two. Maybe it won't cost too much for an aftermarket spoiler

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #65 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80
Ed, it doesn't bother me one bit. I agree it would be a very similar thread.

I have pretty much decided to go with the Mazda3. The only problem is there are none with the options and color I want, but I can compromise -- I want Titanium with the moonroof package, safety package, and spoiler; I can get Sunlight Silver with only the first two. Maybe it won't cost too much for an aftermarket spoiler

Post pics of the shopping adventure too if you can.

Have you test driven one yet?

-Ed

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #66 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Post pics of the shopping adventure too if you can.

Have you test driven one yet?

-Ed

Oh yeah, a couple of times, the first time being in december.

(Post #6
I have driven both cars a couple times, with both the manual and auto transmissions. I agree about the 3's auto, it is not nearly as good as the manual.

Overall I think the Mazda is a lot more fun to drive and even kind of exciting, and the Toyota just seems to get the job done well. )
wink.gif

Also, today it appears some other dealers in the midwest got 3'sconfigured the way I originally wanted, both in Titanium and Sunlight Silver. Of course, this just happened as I had decided I could live with the Silver...

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #67 of 81
Nice.

Did you try the Hatchbacks at all? Or are you a sedan kinda guy?

Hmmm. I think my wife is now set on the Civic. Maternal instincts are starting to take more priority. That Gold IIHS crash test ratings is weighing heavily now.

Civic's a decent car, though. My wife's last car before the POS Geo was a Civic, so it's familiar territory for her.

The question is:

Save nearly $4K on the Standard LX Sedan.

Or.

Go for the gusto with the Hybrid and have insane gas mileage (not to mention the car pool lane access stickers).

-Ed

Mar 10, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #68 of 81
Certainly not much special or interesting about a Civic, but it's by no means a bad car either or they wouldn't sell a bazillion of 'em
icon10.gif
If you do the math, buying a hybrid likely won't save you any money unless gas goes to 4 bucks or you drive it for 10 years (and don't have to replace the batteries). But you will be happier visiting the pump less (even if your total cost of ownership is still higher) and the carpool lane benefit could be worth it.

My only complaint about the Mazda3 hatch is that it doesn't look as good as the Protege5 it replaced. I owned a Protege5 for a couple years and it was a really great little car, and fun to drive though it could've used another 50 horses.

Mar 11, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #72 of 81
Yeah Ed, I am a sedan guy. Never really liked hatchbacks

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
Zachary, do you want to be like every other people by driving corolla?

No, don't worry. I put a deposit down for my 3 (for the dealer trade, it's in Ohio) and it should be with me on Monday or Tuesday. I ended up getting what I originally wanted: Titanium with the moonroof and 6cd changer package, safety package (abs, side airbags, ect), and spoiler.

For those people talking about gas mileage:
http://www.greenercars.com/12green.html

The Mazda 3i manual is #9 on the list including hybrids, with a 'green score' tieing the Civic

Mar 12, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #73 of 81
Pattie got an 05 Mazda 3 in May. Great little car. Very good performance for what it is, good room, good handling and we haven't noticed any lag in the transmission. Of course, if I'm pushing it I shift it manually but There really isn't much need to push it to blow away the "F*rt can" equipped Civics and Corollas. Gets close to 30 in town, over 40 with cruis on 80. Good factory sound for what you pay and it really handles sweet.

So many airbags in it if Pattie has a wreck we'll never find her.

Get the Mazda.

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #74 of 81
I've read many reports of the Mazda 3 getting crappy mileage, but I have yet to see this. My GF's Mazda 3 hatchback has the more powerful 160hp 4-cylinder engine and we're still seeing 27 in the city and 35 on the highway. I can live with that!

Perhaps the crappy mileage complaints are attributable to models with automatic transmissions?

Mar 13, 2006 at 10:40 AM Post #75 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Dangerous
Perhaps the crappy mileage complaints are attributable to models with automatic transmissions?

Maybe crappy mileage is from people that drive in low gear all the time. Pattie's car is automatic and gets about 30 in town ans close to 40 on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back