Mazda3 or Toyota Corolla
Mar 5, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #16 of 81
I'd go with the Scion Tc if budget was more of a concern.

Toyota Corolla S if long term reliability was more of a concern.

Mazda 3 if you want a more "exciting car" do not plan on driving it for over 10 years.

I have a Mazda MX-3 (1.6L) that is is nearly 13 years old. Still on the original clutch, and still kicking. Although it's definitely showing it's age. It helps that I babied it, and it has just under 120K miles on it.

So I have a sentimental attachment to Mazda, but cars have changed quite a bit in over a decade.

I am now faced with having to purchase a new car soon (wife's 12 yr old Geo Prism is dying). With how low the prices of Toyota Camry's are getting with the pending release of a new 2007 model year, it's getting tempting to get a much larger car.
But we both hate driving large cars. My wife has her heart set on getting a used Mini, but I think the long term repair costs are going to be a lot more than even a Toyota's, and even Honda.

-Ed

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #18 of 81
I agree that buying used us a better value. Still, I think everyone has the right to get the new car purchase out of his system. It's an exciting event in one's life.

I much prefer the 3 to the Corolla, especially for driving fun. I think the hatch is the way to go, but the sedan's still a nice car. The Corolla S does nothing for me. The XRS is a nice little car though.

The new Civic Si looks very interesting, but I haven't driven it.

Since this is a new purchase, the Corolla or Civic may be worth considering when you factor in resale value.

Mar 6, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #19 of 81
I'm a big fan of Mazda but since they were purchased by Ford it hasn't done them a lot of good. I'd still choose it over the Corolla by a landslide. My mom has a Corolla, 97 I think, and I can't stand it. The engine is lackluster and the interior and exterior styling is pretty bleh. I think the Nissan Sentra might be another good car to look at in the small car bracket, although it doesn't have the nice styling like the Mazda does.

If I had the $$ I'd be looking at a slightly used RSX.

Mar 6, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #21 of 81
consider the ford focus. it should be identical to the mazda 3 (ford owns mazda and americans can't design good cars).

Mar 6, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #22 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I'd go with the Scion Tc if budget was more of a concern.

Toyota Corolla S if long term reliability was more of a concern.

I think Ed and most people here have hit the question right on the head.

The Toyota is a total motion appliance. If you are looking to get from Point A to Point B with the least hassle, the most reliability - but the least inspiration - get the Toyota, hands down.

The Scions are very nice cars for the amount of money they ask - more more pizazz than the Corolla, if that is important to you. That's by design - they are courting the younger market.

The Mazda as more pizazz but may - or may not - have some more maintenance.

I would, umm, stay away from the Focus. Sure, you hope they are now bug-free but prior to now they had the dubious honor of being the second-most recalled car in automotive history (behind the GM X's).

(It's certainly an interesting read! If you're interested in mechanical histories also try DC-10 and DeHavilland Comet...)

Buying new has more advantages than just "Oooh!" factor and new car smell
biggrin.gif
Can we say, "Warranty"? Oh yes!!
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #24 of 81
only get a hybrid if saving the enviornment is incredibly important to you. even after 150k miles at $3 a gallon, the tax breaks...etc, you will not have recooped the cost of buying the hybrid version of your car. plus, figure a shat resale rate since the batteries (NiMH) will die after about 10 years. if you wanna save gas, get a diesel.

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #25 of 81
the prius offers alot of really niffty features though like blue tooth rear view camera etc. also being able to drive in the car pool lane etc. is going to be really nice

I guess i'd get a Prius if... i had the money to eat the loses in the resale value hah. i've never really consider buying a car new however.

Yes I am frugal.

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #26 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by SennFan
The Mazda 3 is to much of a chick car.

I'm sorry, but I'd love to know how you came to that conclusion?
rolleyes.gif

Don't buy something based on perception. Buy it based on what it is and whether it does what you want.

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #27 of 81
What about the cost of insurance to either car?

To me, buying the car is the easy part. It's the cost/frequency of repair/maintanence, resale value, utility, safety factors and cost of insurance that I have to live with day in and day out. I like a sporty, fun-to-drive car as much as the next guy or gal, but the above are more important to me.

Where I live, a brand-new 2006 V6 Camry or Mazda 6 can be had for under $20K. Pedestrian, perhaps....but in the long run, they provide an upgrade in overall car ownership experience.

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #28 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
consider the ford focus. it should be identical to the mazda 3 (ford owns mazda and americans can't design good cars).

The Mazda3 is actually built on the C1 platform, which is also used by the Volvo S40 and European Ford Focus, but not the North American Ford Focus.

I must say, I'm really in to the 3. It would be my choice for a car in that segment.

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #29 of 81
Mazda 3.
We own one (and two Mazda 6s!!) and wouldn't trade them for anything else, no issues, built well and handle brilliantly.
That said, if you see a car as nothing more than a faster way getting from A to B than walking you probably wouldn't appreciate the 3 over a Corolla...but you never know, it might open your eyes as to just how much fun driving (within the law too!!) can be.
biggrin.gif

You might see my view as biased since we own three Mazdas, but in all fairness the current Corolla platform is way past its use-by date. The are much better cars out there for the money (not just the 3), but they don't die easily that is for sure.

Interestingly, the Corolla got flogged in Wheels magazine's "crash avoidance" tests by the 3, and a host of other cars, most of it due to the out-dated chassis the Corolla uses.

Trippytiger is spot on about the C1 platform sharing. We're lucky enough to get the 3, Euro Focus and S40 here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back