Mayflower Arc
Jan 30, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #46 of 77
I've had the same issue now and then with the volume. Its an odd thing and normally i dontd have to deal with it as I'm using the aux in the back so it bypasses the amp part of the arc. But if i do use the 3.5mm on the front i have experienced that issue. Something that needs to be fixed in the next version. I think i got mine for 150 as a pre-order special, so far I'm still happy

Mar 8, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #48 of 77
Well, finally got the ARC. I don't have my HD6xx's from massdrop yet, but i'm using my SennheiserHD 25's in the meantime, and yup, sounds better than my supposedly decent Realtek ALC1220 onboard sound. No static noise, clean, flat, loud. Not the best heaphone's to test it out with, but a noted improvement. Mic input seems decent too, but haven't tested it out too much yet.

PS4 via USB - it just worked, and much, much better than plugging the headphones into the Dualshock, I can't express the difference. I knew the dualshock output wasn't good, so I shouldn't be surprised, but it's pleasing that this all worked so easily, mic seems to be detected too, but I haven't been on voice chat yet with it. I hear PS4 can be problematic with USB audio devices, so I'll keep an eye on this long term for issues.

I think i'll get a USB type-B switcher so I don't have to uplug/re-plug when swapping from PS4 to PC. I don't want to deal with optical and pass through mic crap, USB or nothing! Hope I can make it work.

One thing I noticed, and this could be my windows setup, PS4 via USB is much, much louder than windows via USB. On PS4 I had it on notch 1 or 2 and had to turn the device volume down in dashboard settings. On windows I have the ARC cranked midway, and windows voume between 50% and 80% (have a slider on my keyboard). Don't get me wrong, both are perfect sounding, just noting the volume disparity. Could be my windows, or the realtek crap that's still floating around my system.

Can't complain though, it's just so clean and nice of both devices. In fact I'm probably listening at dangerously loud settings because it just sounds so full and distortion free at high volumes.

Very happy I bought this so far.

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #49 of 77
One thing I noticed, and this could be my windows setup, PS4 via USB is much, much louder than windows via USB. On PS4 I had it on notch 1 or 2 and had to turn the device volume down in dashboard settings. On windows I have the ARC cranked midway, and windows voume between 50% and 80% (have a slider on my keyboard). Don't get me wrong, both are perfect sounding, just noting the volume disparity. Could be my windows, or the realtek crap that's still floating around my system.

Windows volume settings do effect the volume on the ARC. Also different applications in Windows can have different volumes (ie chrome can be set to always be lower than foobar). So try double clicking on the volume icon to open up the full mixer in make sure that the app that you're playing music from is set to 100% of the system volume.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #51 of 77
Your millage my vary on this but but I got a very noticeably bump in audio quality be switching out the provided power supply with ifis 5v ipower. The improvement is both measurable and very audible. Seems to confirm that the power coming out of the wall is far more important to the Arc than the power coming out of the USB port.

Apr 5, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #52 of 77
Your millage my vary on this but but I got a very noticeably bump in audio quality be switching out the provided power supply with ifis 5v ipower. The improvement is both measurable and very audible. Seems to confirm that the power coming out of the wall is far more important to the Arc than the power coming out of the USB port.

Interesting, what specifically improved? Noise floor? SNR?

On a different topic, I has the volume control goof up again to the point where I had to completly un plug the unit from both usb and power to get it to work again.

I called Mayflower, talked to Tyler who checked my order number and determined that I have an early production model and that a firmware update would fix it. Bummer there's no way for the user to do it, but 5min later I had an RMA shipping lable in my email.

Apr 6, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #53 of 77
I use device entirely through USB. So, I settled on 90/100 microphone input volume for general use, but every time I reboot, it's super low, much lower than 90, if I go to recording devices and change the microphone volume slightly it re-kicks in. An minor annoyance, but I'm still liking the device in all other ways. Don't have a volume issue with sound output like a few others. Maybe i'll try this on my Macbook at some point to see if the mic input thing is a windows 'driverless' quirk.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #54 of 77
Interesting, what specifically improved? Noise floor? SNR?

On a different topic, I has the volume control goof up again to the point where I had to completly un plug the unit from both usb and power to get it to work again.

I called Mayflower, talked to Tyler who checked my order number and determined that I have an early production model and that a firmware update would fix it. Bummer there's no way for the user to do it, but 5min later I had an RMA shipping lable in my email.

Small improvements to everything. The measurements don't do they audio improvement justice but the at least show it isn't all in my head!

May 14, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #56 of 77
Can this be used via optical on PS4 or solely usb?
Curious of the difference if any?
And any owners have any feedback from a gaming perspective, think I may go back to a stereo solution after years of virtual surround dac/amps and this is peaking my interest.

May 14, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #57 of 77
Can this be used via optical on PS4 or solely usb?
Curious of the difference if any?
And any owners have any feedback from a gaming perspective, think I may go back to a stereo solution after years of virtual surround dac/amps and this is peaking my interest.
You can use this via optical or USB for audio. However if you want to use the mic from the arc you have to connect by USB. I've been using this with my ps4 via USB and my Pc via optical. They both share the mic and I think it's been great. A few odd things here and there like sometimes with the ps4 you have to turn off and turn back on the arc to get the audio going Making sure you're on the right audio input on the arc when switching The dsp I keep on as I like the little bump in bass

May 15, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #58 of 77
You can use this via optical or USB for audio. However if you want to use the mic from the arc you have to connect by USB. I've been using this with my ps4 via USB and my Pc via optical. They both share the mic and I think it's been great. A few odd things here and there like sometimes with the ps4 you have to turn off and turn back on the arc to get the audio going Making sure you're on the right audio input on the arc when switching The dsp I keep on as I like the little bump in bass

Ok thanks for the info!
Mic is not hugely important to me - but the sound quality is. Is there a difference in terms of quality with USB vs optical?
Very tempted on the ARC, although importing to UK probably gonna cost me a fair amount...

May 15, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #59 of 77
I like to use optical whenever possible as it's driverless and with my setup I can just flip the optocal/USB switch depending which one I'm gaming on but I wouldn't think thered be too much of an appreciable difference. One thing to note is when you change the bitrate and hz in the properties, may have to play around a bit as some formats aren't supported. I think i settled on 24bit 88200hz as with the two highest ones I either got no audio or some blips. Also windows audio is at 100% and I just use my amp(s) to adjust volume

Jul 7, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #60 of 77
I've had mine for a few days and I'm using it on PC with Massdrop AKG K7XX's, a modmic 5 (Uni) and my old 2.1 desktop speakers.

My RCA inputs are wired backwards also. I reported this to Mayflower and they say they've never heard of this happening before but I can get a replacement if I like.
Did you guys send yours back for this issue and did your replacement fix it?

At the moment I just have my RCA cables plugged in the wrong way which resolves the problem, so I'm not sure if I should bother sending it back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back