Mayflower Arc
Jul 8, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #61 of 77
I've had mine for a few days and I'm using it on PC with Massdrop AKG K7XX's, a modmic 5 (Uni) and my old 2.1 desktop speakers.

My RCA inputs are wired backwards also. I reported this to Mayflower and they say they've never heard of this happening before but I can get a replacement if I like.
Did you guys send yours back for this issue and did your replacement fix it?

At the moment I just have my RCA cables plugged in the wrong way which resolves the problem, so I'm not sure if I should bother sending it back.

I have the same problem with mine. Really its not an issue, I just plug the RCAs in the other way around and its fine.

Nov 25, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #62 of 77
Just got my ARC, and apparently I didn't do my homework. The Windows volume slider controlled the volume on my LSR305 monitors with my last DAC. Not so with the ARC. Why is this?

Sorry if this is a common DAC question, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere.

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #63 of 77
Just got my ARC, and apparently I didn't do my homework. The Windows volume slider controlled the volume on my LSR305 monitors with my last DAC. Not so with the ARC. Why is this?

Sorry if this is a common DAC question, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere.

One of the reasons I returned it. Definitely needs pre-outs and features that cheap external sound cards/HP amps have.

I changed to the Asus U7 mk II which has all the functionality that I want but unfortunately doesn't have the superior sound of the ARC.

So crap how there are only 2 options for a good headphone amp with a mic input and both of them are pricey and IMO flawed. The Burson Play being the other one.

The Burson doesn't turn the speakers off when you plug in headphones...

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #64 of 77
One of the reasons I returned it. Definitely needs pre-outs and features that cheap external sound cards/HP amps have.

I changed to the Asus U7 mk II which has all the functionality that I want but unfortunately doesn't have the superior sound of the ARC.

So crap how there are only 2 options for a good headphone amp with a mic input and both of them are pricey and IMO flawed. The Burson Play being the other one.

The Burson doesn't turn the speakers off when you plug in headphones...

I just ordered a JDS Labs OL Switcher to control my speaker volume. Hopefully that does the trick though it sucks I had to do it.

How good/bad is the audio quality of the U7 mk II? My cheaper side was seriously considering it when comparing prices.

I'm surprised it never gets mentioned, but there is a third DAC/Mic combo option. It's also line out unfortunately, but at least it has a output selector and is only $99.00

http://audiotrack.co.kr/en/external/255

Nov 26, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #65 of 77
I just ordered a JDS Labs OL Switcher to control my speaker volume. Hopefully that does the trick though it sucks I had to do it.

How good/bad is the audio quality of the U7 mk II? My cheaper side was seriously considering it when comparing prices.

I'm surprised it never gets mentioned, but there is a third DAC/Mic combo option. It's also line out unfortunately, but at least it has a output selector and is only $99.00

http://audiotrack.co.kr/en/external/255

Can you post how you go with the OL Switcher, I guess I could order the ARC again and try that.

Thanks for linkinking the Prodigy Cube, I'd never heard of it. Would love to know what it's like & yes it's a lot cheaper than the ARC.

EDIT: Just a quick look at the Prodigy, it seems to be a USB only powered amp and is rated from 16-150 Ohm headphones, (same as the U7). If I were going to live with line-outs I'd rather have a wall powered unit that can drive anything. Still it's not that bad for the money just from a quick glance at the specs.

Another issue with the ARC is 7.1 for HP in Windows requires a lower bitrate than the ARC can do. In other words it doesn't work. I would only use this for gaming but still.

The U7 mk II is decent, it has pre-outs, the volume knob doubles as a switcher between HP and speakers (as does plugging in and removing HPs). Has a fair bit of connectivity on the back.
The sound to me is only a little better than onboard audio whereas the ARC is way, way better. For the price & functionality though, it's a pretty good option.

If you use the U7 mkII, don't bother with the Asus software, it's pretty bad. Windows 10 will install a driver for it and the only functionality that you lose is the mic volume button. Mic volume (for me) is more of a set and forget thing in Windows settings anyway, so I don't miss it.

The only other option I was thinking is a USB interface for my modmic. That way I can buy any HP amp I want. It's more stuff on the desk and will probably cost more though.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #66 of 77
Can you post how you go with the OL Switcher, I guess I could order the ARC again and try that.

Will do if I don't end up returning it.

After playing around with it some more I randomly get blasted with full volume in my headphones. I have to lower the volume in windows to bring it back down. That, and the volume knob on the unit doesn't do anything besides turn it on or off. It has no affect on the volume. It worked fine when I got it a few days ago, but not anymore. I'm not sure what to do now.

Nov 28, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #68 of 77
Further monitoring will be needed, but I think I solved the problem. Turning the ARC on and off, rebooting Windows, unplugging headphone/RCA cables............none of that worked. You know what did work, a simple power cycle. I unplugged the power connector for a few seconds and now everything is fine. The ARC must retain some kind of memory when turned off as long as power is still connected. Very strange.

While it's working correctly I must say it does sound really good.

Dec 10, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #70 of 77

Sorry for the delay.

The OL Switcher was exactly what I needed, and it works great. I have the volume on the back of both monitors set to 4/10, and the volume range on the switcher is perfect. I have no complaints whatsoever.

Dec 11, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #72 of 77
No worries.

So you can change speaker volume via windows now?

If so that's awesome, I might go ahead an order another ARC.

No. It still doesn't allow you to change speaker volume via windows. Instead you change it with the knob on the switcher itself. It's a lot better than having to turn the volume knob on the back of each monitor, which isn't practical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back