Maybe I don't like IEMS? please read and tell me if it makes no sense to try any more of them...
Jun 16, 2014 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Matt B

Head-Fier
Ok so a few years ago I was into iems. I started with the shure e4c which I loved, and were my first experience with good transducers...until the cable broke. After that I picked up a less expensive but well regarded (at the time) pair...the klipsch s4... and enjoyed them. Than I went on a bit of a run and had the Monster Copper, Westone 3, and Earsonics SM3. I was not that impressed by any of them and genuinely felt that while they improved on the S4 none did so to the extent that warranted the increase in price ($250 at the time). After these I have also owned the Monster Miles Davis, Triple Fi 10, and TDK BA-200. Again (and I am not knocking any of these iems which many people love) I wasn't really all that excited by what I heard..to me, these iems (with the exception of the s4 which as not quite as good) sounded like re-tuned versions of each-other but with the same fundamental level of sound quality. However I need more than that...as an example, the only headphones I have tried that have really stood out to me over my baseline for really nice quality sound (denon d5000 and modded d5000) are the Beyerdynamic T1 and Fostex TH900. So I guess my question is, does it make any sense for me to continue with more reasonably priced iems and try some of the newer ones like the fxz200, rockit r-50, gr07 mkII, Dunu hp1000, etc?...or will all of these sound rather like re-tuned versions of sets I have tried doing some things better and some things worse?

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 4
I suggest rather than try different IEM's until your bank account runs out to consider upgrading your source.

What source are you using atm? Which file format?

An IEM will only display what's being fed, they cannot pull magic out of thin air.

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 4
Demnishing returns. I guess you're feeling it early. How long did you try each of the more expensive IEMs for?

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #4 of 4
Demnishing returns. I guess you're feeling it early. How long did you try each of the more expensive IEMs for?

I was thinking that, surely he should be experiencing something more than Klipsch S4 with those he mentioned.

This is an important point though tinyman brings up. When I started out my expectations were incredibly high. I figured I'd just drop $200 on some earphone and walk away happily ever after though......obviously this wasn't the case.

Takes some time to understand the differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back