Maximun BASS from IEMs
Nov 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

wtfwtflol

Head-Fier
Hi everybody.

A week ago I ordered the Monster Turbines when it was $58 on amazon. Hoping to finally get a pair of IEM that could satisfy my hunger for bass. After 4 days of testing and burn-in, I must say these failed miserably compared to the Playaz N1 with the foam tip. On a scale of 0-10, ipod earphones are 0, turbines are 4 and the playaz are 7. I tried all kinds of tips and fittings, but it didnt help much. So this is what I want:

The maximun bass from a pair of IEMs.

The only option I had was the UE Super.Fi5 EB, I tired those for a while, the bass is amazing, but uncomfortable as hell, the earpiece is HUGE, like a hearing aid device. So no matter how good they sounded, I just couldnt wear them for more than 5 minutes.

So I'm looking for a pair of IEM for less than $200, with more bass than the turbines and playaz, and not huge like the UE. I dont care much about the mids and highs.

I mostly hear DnB, Hiphop, Raggae, Dancehall, and house.

Nov 26, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 16
IE7, EX700, MTPG, JVC FX500, CKS90, HJE900, Klipsch Custom 3 and PFE.......

Nov 26, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:
IE7, EX700, MTPG, JVC FX500, CKS90, HJE900, Klipsch Custom 3 and PFE.......

Turbines have more bass than the Pro Golds, IE7s, HJE900s, Custom3, and PFEs so I don't get these recommendations. If the OP is unsatisfied with the Turbines how can he be happy with the KC3 or IE7? 

The XB40EX definitely has the most bass I've heard out of an IEM (with the TDK EB900 in a close second) but overall I'd recommend the Fischer Audio Eterna or even Futuresonics Atrios. 

Nov 26, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:

The XB40EX definitely has the most bass I've heard out of an IEM (with the TDK EB900 in a close second) but overall I'd recommend the Fischer Audio Eterna or even Futuresonics Atrios. 

Thank you for the suggestion, I've heard great things about the atrios, but the sony are at a very good price, so I will give it a try first. If I still don't get what I want, I'd probably just give up and jump to a full size can, xb700 to start with.

Nov 26, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 16
The problem with the XB40EX aside from doing little right except for bass is the fit - it's really not very ear-friendly. not big per se but they are a bit heavy and the vertically-mounted driver is just weird. YMMV of course and they're cheap enough to try on the off-chance they will be good enough.

Nov 26, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 16
Hippo VBs are also supposed to be very good in the bass department.

Nov 27, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 16
I'm a basshead and I want a IEM as bassy as the superFi5 EB if possible.

Is the Panasonic HJE900 more bassy than the Turbines or Playaz N1? They have amazing reviews. I'm also interested on the TDKs.

After some research I don't think I'll get the sony, because of this review. Bass is important, but so is comfort.

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #10 of 16
During these days I decided to test the Turbines a bit more with the Fiio E5, and while I was playing music at high volumes, the left earpiece started to make a strange noise, the "driver" cracked and now it rattles when there is bass playing. Returned it and got my refund. So after a little more research, I went ahead and ordered the TDK EB900. For $30 I can't go too wrong. Plus they look pretty comfy and durable.

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 16
If you want clean bass from an IEM then it has to be Ultimate Ears i'm afraid..... although i found the 5EB's too heavy, too uncomfortable and after a couple of months i sol them. I've only owned the metro.fi 100, metro.fi 2 (now the 200), Super.fi 5EB and Triple .fi 10's. Loved them all.

Dec 6, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
Try the atrios, i'm willing to bet you'll love the sub-base they give especially for dnb and dubstep.

The TDK hasn't shipped yet, but the chances it fulfils my requirements are 30%, according to the few reviews I could find. So I'm pretty sure I will end up buying the atrios. In fact I considered buying them 3 years ago when they were $150, but instead I spent the same amount buying crappy earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back