Maxell HP-CN40 review: the lost gem
Feb 25, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #16 of 18
Well it doesn't really work that way. No reviews are going to make them more available. It seems we are looking at the current stock being sold off at good prices. If you go to Maxell Japan, the CN40 are in the list of discontinued headphones. What's out there is probably what's left and they aren't making anymore. They have been out since the middle of 2008(http://en.akihabaranews.com/18894/headphones/maxell-also-releases-new-earphones). The CN45 has pretty much taken it's place.

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #17 of 18
I'll bump this thread since I have been listening to the GR07 and CN-40 unamped for a while. I think that I agree 100% on the previous CN40/GR07 comparison. Pretty close IMO. A bit more treble extension and the accompanying bit of detail, a bit blacker background, a smidge more separation in favor of the Vsonic. Also hear the drier GR07 bass which is a tad less engaging than the Maxell's. With the right tips they take the same volume and it gets hard to tell the two apart esp. if you not doing a critical listening A/B session. 

I most likely will end up selling the GR07. My modded ASG-1/UE hybrid is more enjoyable and outperforms the GR07 and the times that I don't use the Aurisonics, I can certainly get away with the Maxell and not be missing that much! Not that the Vsonic is a slouch at all. More that slfln wasn't exaggerating in saying the CN40 is the gem that it is.

They haven't released a better earphone in a while but I will definitely be keeping an eye on the Maxell Japan page for the one that comes next. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back