Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread
Oct 13, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #481 of 783

Quote:
Some people think the fuse impacts sound

Now i've heard it all 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #482 of 783

Quote:
hi, i received my d1 couple days back and accidentally selected 110V instead of 230V
which fried the fuse, so i replace the fuse with a 6.3A
is this the correct part to use? i can turn it on now but a bit worried if there is any side effects if i'm using wrong fuse

thanks.

6.3A???? Is the fuse rating on D1 so high? I have no D1 with me now so I cant check. My current DAC rating is only 0.5A.

Putting a fuse with amphere rating that exceeds the original one may cause damage to your D1 in the event of current surge (the fuse does not blow when it is supposed to).

Also, fuse comes in fast blow or slow blow configuration. You need to get both the rating as well as the blow type correct.

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #484 of 783

Quote:
6.3A???? Is the fuse rating on D1 so high? I have no D1 with me now so I cant check. My current DAC rating is only 0.5A.

Putting a fuse with amphere rating that exceeds the original one may cause damage to your D1 in the event of current surge (the fuse does not blow when it is supposed to).

Also, fuse comes in fast blow or slow blow configuration. You need to get both the rating as well as the blow type correct.

I checked the fuse it only has a F025A or maybe F0.25A indication, its not properly engraved..which means its actually 0.25A?
I don't have knowledge in electronics unfortunately, i had to asked a friend to advice me what type of fuse used commonly for a product with power selector.

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #485 of 783

I checked the fuse it only has a F025A or maybe F0.25A indication, its not properly engraved..which means its actually 0.25A?
I don't have knowledge in electronics unfortunately, i had to asked a friend to advice me what type of fuse used commonly for a product with power selector.

might be 0.25a fast blow.

having a 6a fuse will allow an excess current of 5.75a going through the fuse and damaging your d1 in the event of power surge, defeating the purpose of having a fuse in the first place.

not that such things happen frequently but it is as good as not having any fuse at all because it won't blow when its supposed to.

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #486 of 783
So i guess my safest bet is to find equivalent fuse value then.
Any other way to find out the actual value needed rather than checking the fuse itself?

Quote:
might be 0.25a fast blow.
having a 6a fuse will allow an excess current of 5.75a going through the fuse and damaging your d1 in the event of power surge, defeating the purpose of having a fuse in the first place.
not that such things happen frequently but it is as good as not having any fuse at all because it won't blow when its supposed to.

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #489 of 783

Quote:

OPA1611 bests the OPA627??  I might have to get one of those.... unfortunately I was unable to find an 8DIP packaging for either the OPA1611 or OPA1612 (it is my understanding that the 1612 is just the dual version of the 1611 which might save me some time and headaches)

where did you buy your 8DIP 1611 if I may ask?

I bought it from a member here, leeperry. 

To update, I my judgement may have been wrong about the 627, I stuck it in the HP out section and put about a 100hrs on it and tried all of my opamps again. I do not believe in burn in, so it must have been a bad ear day, I am now enjoying the awesomeness of the 627 as we speak.

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #490 of 783
So, I recently bought the D1.... and there is a horrible buzzing / static / crackling sound particular apparent during higher female vocals (Regina Spektor, Fine Frenzy). It's even apparent in some male vocals like Fleet Foxes. I current have the D1 hooked up via USB and going with RCA through the tube pre-outs into an AV receiver.

I've never heard this kind of distortion before, not even from a crappy laptop sound card. Any ideas on what might be the issue? I'm thinking it's not the tube, maybe one of the opamps? I emailed Ryan, but haven't gotten a response yet.

Oct 22, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #491 of 783

Quote:
So, I recently bought the D1.... and there is a horrible buzzing / static / crackling sound particular apparent during higher female vocals (Regina Spektor, Fine Frenzy). It's even apparent in some male vocals like Fleet Foxes. I current have the D1 hooked up via USB and going with RCA through the tube pre-outs into an AV receiver.

I've never heard this kind of distortion before, not even from a crappy laptop sound card. Any ideas on what might be the issue? I'm thinking it's not the tube, maybe one of the opamps? I emailed Ryan, but haven't gotten a response yet.

i noticed problems with the tube pre-outs on mine too, try the normal outputs and headphone outputs, they should be fine.

Ryan is pretty good he should get back to you fairly quickly.

Oct 22, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #492 of 783
I just tried the "normal" pre-outs and it seems to have the same problem. I theorized it might be related to the USB part, but the problem persists even with optical in... ugh, I hope he has a solution, this has been very disappointing.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #495 of 783
Hi everyone,

I'm new to DAC's, and bought the TubeMagic D1 about a week ago to accompany a new pair of headphones (Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's 250ohm). I hooked it up to my Mac Mini using USB, and I'm hearing some interference -- not loud, but it's there. Can anyone help me understand whether this might be a problem with the D1, or a problem with my audio connection? How would I connect to my Mac using optical or coaxial?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back