Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread
Sep 28, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #466 of 783

Quote:
I received my D1 3 days ago, Im part of the family now... 
Still need some time to break in, but so far Im liking what I listen... the tube pre-amp makes the mids on my DT990 really shine :)

If you're using the D1 as the headphone amp you're not getting any output from the tube. All you're hearing is the solid state Op-amp from the headphone section.

In this unit the tube section ONLY works with the tube out outputs on the back. i.e. the only way for you to hear the tube in the d1 is for you to listen to your headphones through a separate amp that is receiving signal from the d1's tube out section.

Reading through the posts, there seems to be a lot of confusion on how this unit works. I think I'll post an image later today with an explanation of the sections and what they do so that other users may benefit from viewing as well. :)

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #467 of 783

Quote:
If you're using the D1 as the headphone amp you're not getting any output from the tube. All you're hearing is the solid state Op-amp from the headphone section.

If psychological effects work, then it is even better value for money since it allows one to get tube headamp when there wasn't any to begin with =)

I believe that paconavarro uses the tube output with his Corda Headfive unless, he was genuinely referring to the D1 headamp...

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #468 of 783
What's your active subwoofer?

There are some active subwoofers that you can connect via the D1's Pre-amp outputs using RCA.
Like: D1 --- RCA ---> Active sub --- RCA ---> Active 2.0 Speakers

Oct 2, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #471 of 783
I have a question in regard to the USB Driver. It says that my 44.1k samples will be upsampled to 96k which will spoil the SQ. Did I get this right? So how do I fix this problem(so that it won't convert or resample my stuff)? Do other DACs do this too? Will other DACs leave my 44.1k samples as it is and also support up to 96k if its 24/96? Or all DACs do this? I'm so clueless :p

Oct 3, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #473 of 783
Hey all,

I just wanted to clarify a few things about the D1. Sadly I'm very new to all of this.

As of now what I imagine my set up to look like: Computer --> Fiber Optic cord --> D1 --> ATH-m50.

I also have a Sony STR DE135 200 watt Receiver laying around if that is of any use, and I was wondering if the upgraded D1 would benefit me. Also, am I missing any key components that nobody thought to say because it's assumed to be a part of any system?

I'm just starting to expand my FLAC library, and I was planning on using this mainly for gaming.

Any help would be great. Thanks guys and girls.

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #474 of 783

Quote:
hello all, this is my first post here.  i have a d1 on the way.  can someone confirm if a 2-1 adapter will fit in the dac op amp slot?  are the 627 super chips legit? 

I would get the dual OPA627s soldered onto a browndog adapter from Tam Audio for $15 (although you have to buy 2 to get free shipping if you're in the US, but still cheaper than the superchip option).  They fit in the U5 and U6 sections no problem.  Another user on this forum recommended I do that and I am very pleased with the result.  currently using both of my dual OPA627s in my D1 (one for the headphone opamp and one for the DAC opamp).  I prefer the 627 in the headphone opamp to the LM4562 (using AKG K702s).

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #475 of 783

Quote:
I just wanted to clarify a few things about the D1. Sadly I'm very new to all of this.

As of now what I imagine my set up to look like: Computer --> Fiber Optic cord --> D1 --> ATH-m50.

I also have a Sony STR DE135 200 watt Receiver laying around if that is of any use, and I was wondering if the upgraded D1 would benefit me. Also, am I missing any key components that nobody thought to say because it's assumed to be a part of any system?

Don't get the upgraded D1, as that will only upgrade the tubes and the tubes are not utilized at all in outputting sound to your headphones.  The tubes are only used if you are connecting an amplifier via the tube pre-out RCA connectors on the back of the D1. 

What I would do, however, is upgrade the opamp in the headphone section of the D1.  My favorites are the LM4562 ($3 at DigiKey) and the OPA627 ($15 at Tam Audio).

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #476 of 783

Quote:
I've had my D1 for about 4 months now and I have a opa627 from Tam's, a LM4652, a opa209, the LME4972 and a opa1611.  I've replaced the tube with a cheap Raytheon 5670 and have it paired with the opa1611.  I think the 1611 blows the 627 out of the water, at least with this tube in this dac for me.  The 1611 has better extension in both directions, has better details.  The 627 may have a bit more punch, but I may just be trying to find some redeeming factor in the 627 cause I'm even liking the LM4652 better and I find it muddled compaired to the prestine sound of the 1611.  I had a opa827 but it failed with my old Forte, but I liked it the best in the sound card.  Need to get another.  The 1611 and the 827 are cheaper than the 627 also.

OPA1611 bests the OPA627??  I might have to get one of those.... unfortunately I was unable to find an 8DIP packaging for either the OPA1611 or OPA1612 (it is my understanding that the 1612 is just the dual version of the 1611 which might save me some time and headaches)

where did you buy your 8DIP 1611 if I may ask?

Oct 6, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #477 of 783
I get clicking sounds when i use the optical input, anyone else getting this? when i start a song it clicks and again when it stops, if i'm clickiing on stuff in windows like back and forward between web pages i get clicking too.
Nothing like this with the USB though.

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #479 of 783
hi, i received my d1 couple days back and accidentally selected 110V instead of 230V
which fried the fuse, so i replace the fuse with a 6.3A
is this the correct part to use? i can turn it on now but a bit worried if there is any side effects if i'm using wrong fuse

thanks.

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #480 of 783
You will be ok, technically you can completely bypass the fuse as well but its not recommended of course. 

Some people think the fuse impacts sound, others don't.  Choose your OCD~ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back