Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread
Apr 23, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #301 of 783
Didn't knew they weren't even meant for audio?
Is the LM4562 that good? Or is it just "Less shrill with more detailed bass" as you described in the startpost?
I don't find the standard opamps shrill... probably just because I haven't tried other opamps 
rolleyes.gif

I also found this: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?s=388b4947d285710a1f4a01b704ef0915&p=3856836&postcount=2
He has an Tube DAC-09, which is basically the same as the TubeMagic A1. He tweaked it a lot!

What I find most intriguing are these changes:
* Replaced LF353N op amp for DAC chip with LT1364 (had to put a heat sink on the LT1364 as it is getting very hot).
* Replaced LF353N op amp for headphone amp with LM4562.
2 opamps: one as DAC and one as headphone amp -> Is this also the case with the D1?

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #302 of 783
The LM4562 is to many a great sounding op-amp. Some may find it to have an energetic top end, I have not found that to be the case. For the record the metal version is IMO a better sounding op-amp but it is hard to find since it has been discontinued.

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #303 of 783
Yea the LM4562 is a great improvement. It really transforms the unit.

Using the LT1364 for the DAC and LM4562 for the headphone amp is a popular option, I have that setup in mine (also with heatsinks, I don't think they're needed though) and I like how it sounds.

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #304 of 783
A good sound card supports bit-perfect output over spdif, the onboard units don't seem to.  Also  the x-fi's don't seem to have any problem supporting all sample rates over spdif.  Don't think the same can be said for ASUS cards but on the ST/STX the digital output was extremely well thought out... even if it doesn't support all outputs(similar to the tenor units).

Best thing to do though is get an external transport, or use the built in USB on the DAC.  Save the Asus/X-Fi cards for gaming, especially since the mav has analog inputs.

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #305 of 783

The LM4562 is the same opamp as the LME49720. Apparently they decided to change the naming scheme on their products and kept the LM4562 due to the number of awards that it won.

You can still get it in metal can version as the LME49720HA
Quote:
The LM4562 is to many a great sounding op-amp. Some may find it to have an energetic top end, I have not found that to be the case. For the record the metal version is IMO a better sounding op-amp but it is hard to find since it has been discontinued.

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #306 of 783
Quote:
The LM4562 is the same opamp as the LME49720. Apparently they decided to change the naming scheme on their products and kept the LM4562 due to the number of awards that it won.

You can still get it in metal can version as the LME49720HA

That's what I thought. I looked at the entire opamp sheet that they had available to view, and I noticed they're the exact same thing.

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #307 of 783

Quote:
Quote:
I have read most if not all of this thread.

I do not see a consensus on which if any opamps are better than the stock amps.

Is it worthwhile to switch them? Should I switch the dac and amp?
Any all around goto opamp for hd650s?

Thanks!

Did you not read the first post? I guess it's not spelled out that the stock opamps suck... So... here it is:
The stock opamps suck. They're not even meant for audio. Almost any opamp is better as long as it has no DC Offset.

For all around good and popular opamps, LM4562 is a cheap option.

Wow sorry for insulting you. Moving on.

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #309 of 783
You caught him in a bad mood. I'm sure he's sorry.
But he did have a point as wel :wink:

My point is that I took the effort to compile all the information so people wouldn't ask the same questions over and over again. I spent a lot of time making it easy to understand so it's a little frustrating when someone either skips it or doesn't understand it.

Apr 24, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #310 of 783
So spanky, I know you think the original op amps are trash and all but how would a noobie like me feel about them? This is my first amp and it was a gift and the only real thing I know is a cheapo $30 sound card I bought four years ago. I've never switched op amps before and I'm not really ready to start doing that until I actually get a good amount of hours with this thing.

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #311 of 783

Quote:
So spanky, I know you think the original op amps are trash and all but how would a noobie like me feel about them? This is my first amp and it was a gift and the only real thing I know is a cheapo $30 sound card I bought four years ago. I've never switched op amps before and I'm not really ready to start doing that until I actually get a good amount of hours with this thing.

It's easy (take about 10 seconds to swap opamps; just pull out the old one and push in the new one.) and opamps are super cheap at Digikey.

Just read Spanky's first post.

I got 2 brand new opamps for $12 shipped, I swapped out the stock ones the day my D1 arrived.

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #312 of 783

Quote:
It's easy (take about 10 seconds to swap opamps; just pull out the old one and push in the new one.) and opamps are super cheap at Digikey.

Just read Spanky's first post.

I got 2 brand new opamps for $12 shipped, I swapped out the stock ones the day my D1 arrived.

I did read his first post, I just know I like having a raw experience before I start messing with stuff. That and I really wanna know his perspective on my question. How would someone like me react to the stock op amps.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #313 of 783

First thing's first is you'll find the sound uncomfortable, a little grating tbh.

Then you realize how crap they are once you swap them with a good opamp worth $6
Quote:

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #314 of 783
So in the future should I get one for the DAC and the AMP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back