Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread
Apr 9, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #286 of 783
I have my D1 and noticed that running my cd player analog outs to the d1 analog ins there is considerable distortion in the headphone out but not through the analog outs of the d1.  I have tried the same cd through the optical in and it is clear as day. Can any one give some insight into this?

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #289 of 783
Hi River Back.  I've not been keeping track of all the changes in this tread, so tell me, what is the OP249?  Is it a plug and play or do changes have to be made elsewhere.

Also, working on this little stuff is not in my comfort zone.  I can do it, I've done it on other peices, but I've been putting making the opamp swap off.  So now it is time.  So where do I buy the new opamps?

Apr 16, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #290 of 783
Depends on where you are, but I got mine from Farnell/element14. I think people in the US get theirs from Digikey
http://www.farnell.com/

Swapping opamps is just plug-n-play, just make sure the orientation's the same when you plug them in

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #291 of 783
After using my D1 for a year now, i just purchased a pair or monitoring speakers and connected them to my D1 RCA outputs.

But the outputs are faulty.They worked fine for a few days but now, I either get no sound from one or both of the RCA outputs, or a distorted sound / very low volume. This is the case with both the pre-amp and the normal RCA outputs.

Its very frustrating. What's wrong here?

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #293 of 783
I think I'm ordering a D1 soon. Anyone using theirs with active monitors? I'm wondering how big is the noise floor when using optical digital and active speakers or semi-efficient headphones or IEM. My current set is very noisy because it's a USB DAC running ground to the computer, causing a ground loop between DAC and speakers.

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #294 of 783
The D1 is not the most silent DAC I've heard. My TC-Konnekt and Audio-GD are more silent. But it does a good job. Going optical/digital would at least zero out the noise coming from the computer. 

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #295 of 783
Kinda depends on the headphones in terms of how noisy the D1 sounds but it certainly is not the cleanest DAC i n the world.  Though it really shouldn't scare anyone away, its not something especially noticeable during music, nor is it particularly distinct or annoying without music playing.  Its all relative~

If all Audio-GD gear is as good as the NFB-2 I don't think you can get any better in terms of audible noise floor.  At least with my headphones.

By the way a poor digital output can affect the quality of the conversion, to what extent is questionable.

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #296 of 783
I'm curious if an Asus Xonar DG or DX series sound card would give me better optical out than my motherboard integrated.

My headphones are AKG K 272 HD, so 55 ohms and 91dB/V, max power input 220mW. It's slightly on the quiet side with portable devices, but not difficult to drive at all. No noise is present with FiiO E7 or Creative Audigy SE (really cheap sound card), so I suppose I'm clear!

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #297 of 783

Quote:
I'm curious if an Asus Xonar DG or DX series sound card would give me better optical out than my motherboard integrated.

My headphones are AKG K 272 HD, so 55 ohms and 91dB/V, max power input 220mW. It's slightly on the quiet side with portable devices, but not difficult to drive at all. No noise is present with FiiO E7 or Creative Audigy SE (really cheap sound card), so I suppose I'm clear!

It's my understanding that audio from a PC transfered through the optical output goes unprocessed (raw data) until it reaches the DAC equipment whatever that equipment might be (the D1 in this case), so it shouldn't matter if the optical is from your onboard or a dedicated sound card. Though, I could be wrong. Can anyone else chime in and help some noobs?

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #298 of 783
That totally depends. Windows can alter the stream by doing some re-sampling of it's own, and there are all sorts of doo-hickeys in sound card drivers that are better left disabled. I believe you can get rid of this all by using ASIO. I was mainly wondering is the connection more reliable and does it have less jitter if it's transported from a quality sound card rather than a $1 integrated chip.

On top of that I'm not completely sure what bit depth and sample rate does the said $1 integrated chip send. Obviously a 96kHz/24-bit output would be preferred. My motherboard, M4A88TD-V EVO is said to support 192khz/24bit, but I don't know if that's the analog out or digital out or both, it's never specified in the manual which is why I'm curious.

Quote:
It's my understanding that audio from a PC transfered through the optical output goes unprocessed until it reaches the DAC equipment whatever that equipment might be (the D1 in this case), so it shouldn't matter if the optical is from your onboard or a dedicated sound card. Though, I could be wrong. Can anyone else chime in and help some noobs?

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #299 of 783
I have read most if not all of this thread.

I do not see a consensus on which if any opamps are better than the stock amps.

Is it worthwhile to switch them? Should I switch the dac and amp?
Any all around goto opamp for hd650s?

Thanks!

Apr 22, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #300 of 783
I have read most if not all of this thread.

I do not see a consensus on which if any opamps are better than the stock amps.

Is it worthwhile to switch them? Should I switch the dac and amp?
Any all around goto opamp for hd650s?

Thanks!

Did you not read the first post? I guess it's not spelled out that the stock opamps suck... So... here it is:
The stock opamps suck. They're not even meant for audio. Almost any opamp is better as long as it has no DC Offset.

For all around good and popular opamps, LM4562 is a cheap option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back