Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread
Feb 14, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #256 of 783
Well I read enough about the fact that the USB can't, but toslink should be able to play 24-96khz, which isn't happening for me...

edit: an update made it possible to select the 24-bit frequencies, but once again, can't get it to 24-96khz because it gives noise and distortion, lower then 96khz does work.

So, question remains: why can't I get 96khz with toslink? Could it be a bad cable? Or something else?

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #257 of 783
In short toslink is a method of Transport, which is controlled by your sound card which I assume is integrated motherboard solution.  Whats preventing you from 24-bit is not the maverick, nor is it the cable.  It is your transport, or rather your integrated sound card which is limiting it.

You might want to invest in an external transport that supports up to 24/96khz.

Quote:
Well I read enough about the fact that the USB can't, but toslink should be able to play 24-96khz, which isn't happening for me...

edit: an update made it possible to select the 24-bit frequencies, but once again, can't get it to 24-96khz because it gives noise and distortion, lower then 96khz does work.

So, question remains: why can't I get 96khz with toslink? Could it be a bad cable? Or something else?

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #258 of 783
Well it is an integrated motherboard solution, it's a SupremeFX X-Fi on an Asus Rampage II Gene.
Better then what you would normally find on a motherboard, but I can't find many info about the toslink output.

But analog, I can get every frequency I want, 24-96khz and even 24-192khz, so if analog works, shouldn't toslink work too?

Feb 14, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #259 of 783

The DAC(on your sound card) itself is capable of 24/96khz but its possible the toslink output is not.  It goes through different controllers and chips.
Quote:
Well it is an integrated motherboard solution, it's a SupremeFX X-Fi on an Asus Rampage II Gene.
Better then what you would normally find on a motherboard, but I can't find many info about the toslink output.

But analog, I can get every frequency I want, 24-96khz and even 24-192khz, so if analog works, shouldn't toslink work too?

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #260 of 783
Read the above posts, sad to say the D1's DAC can only support 16-bit frequencies =(

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Today, I received my Maverick D1.
I planned to cennect it by toslink, but something isn't going quite well.

Probably it's a cable or Windows fault, but anyway I need help and maybe some of you could help me:

When I connect it by toslink, and go to the settings in Windows (7 64bit), I can only select 16-bit frequencies 
confused.gif
)
So that is 16-44,1khz, 16-48khz, 16-88,2khz 16-96khz, 16-176,4khz, 16-192khz.
Why no 24 bit?? Well, then I selected 16-96khz because the D1 should accept 96khz, but NO!
Noise and distortion is all I can hear, the only frequencies that work are 16-44,8khz and 16-48khz.

Why is that? Why can't I select 24-bit and why won't it go any higher then 16-48khz?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #261 of 783

Quote:
Read the above posts, sad to say the D1's DAC can only support 16-bit frequencies =(

I've read the posts, for USB it's only 16-bit indeed, but I am connecting by toslink like I already told.
An update for the soundcard gave me the 24 bit options at last! 
k701smile.gif
, and 24 bit does work by toslink (or digital coaxial), but again it only works untill 96khz.
I'm listening to 24bit/48khz right now.

Thanks for the info ninjikiran, I'll keep it with 24bit/48khz audio for now.
I am planning to buy the next iMac anyway, so then the problem should be solved.

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #262 of 783

Quote:

I'd be a bit surprised if this was true. I feed the D1 24/96 all the time. Although, there really is no way to test it... I would <3 a DAC that had a display.

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #263 of 783
The dac supports up to 24/96.

Its the USB input that only supports 16/48... connecting by Toslink or RCA Spdif will allow you to use any standard audio format to 24/96khz

But if your transport be it outputting Toslink or RCA Spdif doesn't support it due to the output chips used or driver software than obviously you are going to be limited by that as well.

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #265 of 783
Quote:
what's the consensus on this unit for use with HD650's?

Replacing the stock headphone output op-amp of the Maverick D1 with the popular LM4562 chip makes a significant improvement in the sound, but to achieve the full sonic potential of the HD650s, you'll want a separate headphone amplifier eventually.   The companion Maverick A1 integrated amp makes my Senn 650s sound very good, and drives bookshelf speakers as well.  

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #267 of 783
I just got a second hand D1 with my high expectation on sound improvement. When i try to use headphone out thru my HD555, i can hear a noticeable hiss which is so annoying. It's worst than my audigy 2 soundcard hiss. The connection is using optical from my motherboard to D1. When i try the tube out thru my promedia, i still can hear annoying hiss, while i can't hear any hiss from audigy at half volume.

Anyone have the same experience ? any idea to solve this hiss ?

Anyway, despite hiss issue, i can hear the difference between D1 and audigy in term of sound stage,clarity and rich bass. Something that i always struggle with audigy's boomy bass and bad treble.

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #268 of 783
After testing with opamp and tube rolling,the best configuration that get : LM4562NA+Raytheon 5670 but I still can notice this annoying hiss :frowning2: so i switch with alternative configuration, set low vol on D1 about 1/3 and set higher vol on foobar. At least not too much noise :)

Since i'm just starting to like "Audiophile" with some album in CD format, I start to enjoy this D1 in slow music. The music is so rich, but after listening less than 1 hour, I switch back to my original mp3 which mostly in 128kbps :D

My ear can't deny it, D1 with tube out just like a sport car with 1000cc, got no power to follow the rhythm, even though non tube pre-out. I find most noticeable differences vs my Audigy 2 :
- Linkin Park And Jay-Z - Numb/Encore
- Green Day - American Idiot
- Gwen Stefani - Hollandback Girl

Is any op-amp/tube combination that can give extra capability to D1 to play fast music ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back