Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread
Aug 22, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #676 of 783
Ok turns out my headphone jack is failing. Most of the time I only hear sound on the left channel, wobbling the plug helps but trying to find the sweet spot is not easy.

I'm a total noob when it comes to soldering and I don't know anyone who is able to fix this. Rather then paying someone to fix it I think about getting a new DAC/H-amp. Was thinking about upgrading to the NuForce Icon HDP anyway.

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #677 of 783
I just picked up the Tube Magic D1 from another head-fier (got if for $125--yippeee!).

Here is a strange thing that happened. I plugged up the USB, and the sound got processed the Xonar Uni driver control panel (I a Xonar D1 in the computer). I could implement effects and everything, but sounded like crap. Switched to optical running of the main motherboard audio. OH so much better, the way I expected it to sound :)

I know. I need to remove the Xonar and the drivers. Just thought someone might be interested in this rather curious side effect.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #678 of 783
I recently inherited a TubeMagic D1 Plus Edition when my brother upgraded.

Is this compatable with my Samsung Galaxy S3? 

Is there a way to use this only as a DAC for the S3, and not an amplifier? I have a pair of Aktimate Mini + powered speakers and have been told that bad things happen if I were to add an amplifier to the mix.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #679 of 783
I recently inherited a TubeMagic D1 Plus Edition when my brother upgraded.

Is this compatable with my Samsung Galaxy S3? 

Is there a way to use this only as a DAC for the S3, and not an amplifier? I have a pair of Aktimate Mini + powered speakers and have been told that bad things happen if I were to add an amplifier to the mix.

Thanks in advance!

That's pretty cool to get that dac/pre-amp/headphone amp from your brother :)

Samsung Galaxy S3 has usb audio out capability. If you buy a USB OTG cable (check this thread to learn more), should work if it's going to work. So for $10 you can find out.

Otherwise, if it doesn't work, you can run the headphone out from your S3 into the analog line inputs on the TubeMagic. Probably a bit better SQ if you can use the DAC in the TubeMagic via USB from the S3, but it won't hurt anything to try the S3 hooked up that way. If you like the sound, all is good. Plus, you could plug your S3 in so it is charging when using it using the headphone out, instead of going off battery (which you would have to do if using the USB connection).

And yes. There are both a line out and pre-amp out on the TubeMagic that you can plug your speakers into. The line out bypasses the pre-amp--direct from the DAC. The pre-amp out goes through a tube pre-amp and allows you to control the volume from the TubeMagic. Try both and see what sounds better to you.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #680 of 783
Is there a DAP that is better suited for this setup? Samsung Galaxy S3>D1>Aktimate Mini + active speaker.

I broke the S3's screen a while back and upgraded my phone. I figured I could use it as a relatively high capacity DAP with touchscreen and wifi - but its quite a bummer to not be able to keep it charging while in use with the OTG cable. Furthermore, its a 250 dollar screen I'd have to put on it to make it functional. 

If there is something cheaper and better than that 250 dollar repair job, Id consider that instead.

Maybe off topic. Thanks guys.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #681 of 783
Is there a DAP that is better suited for this setup? Samsung Galaxy S3>D1>Aktimate Mini + active speaker.

I broke the S3's screen a while back and upgraded my phone. I figured I could use it as a relatively high capacity DAP with touchscreen and wifi - but its quite a bummer to not be able to keep it charging while in use with the OTG cable. Furthermore, its a 250 dollar screen I'd have to put on it to make it functional. 

If there is something cheaper and better than that 250 dollar repair job, Id consider that instead.

if you want something cheaper that would work well and could go with something a little larger, you could pick up a used netbook off Craiglist.

Oct 22, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #682 of 783
Hi All.  A long time ago, I had the Maverick D1 but things changed and I ended up selling it.  Well things have changes again so I need to get another DAC.  My D1 was the first version.  Has it changed much since then?  Is it still a good deal?  Thanks D.

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #685 of 783
Hey all -

Is the conventional wisdom that the D1 should be powered off when not in use?

I would think so. The tube in the pre-amp does have a use life. From what I have read, it will last a lot longer than a tube in an amp, but I would think you would still be shortening its life by leaving it on all the time.

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #688 of 783
Double Triode Russian 6N3P-DR
Great little buggers! I love them. A little bit more sharper / treble then the WE 396A but great clarity and punch. I'm not very techinicla in the description of the sound but I would definitely recommend these.

The ones I have come in the red blue Russian tube box with rusted staples :p.
Delivered from Russia. The DR stating military grade/version "Durability"

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #689 of 783
Looks like this is the DAC/AMP I will be getting. These seem quite pricey new though and not many used ones floating around.

Seems like the perfect start to an external amp. I'm hoping to hear an improvement over my Asus Xense sound card.

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #690 of 783
Anyone here have experience with the HE-400 and the D1 together?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back