Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 (Hybrid Amp) - Discussion and Review Thread
Jul 13, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #16 of 232
When will it be released?

Jul 13, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #17 of 232
Some recent development: There has actually been a slight hitch in the first production, a small manufacturing issue. It will delay release for a few days, but I would expect things to be set straight likely around next week. sp70.

Quote:
When will it be released?

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #18 of 232
Tube time! I did a little Googling and searching here on Head-Fi and it appears that this amp uses the same tubes as the Little Dot MKIII. So a little searching for different types revealed some popular choices:

Sylvania 5654 (6AK5,6J1) (black plates and top-mounted halo ring getters)
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-matched-Sylvania-5654-6AK5-6J1-tubes-Black-P-O-/360274640575

Russian Tubes 6Zh1P = 6J1P ( 6Ж1П )
http://cgi.ebay.com/6J1P-6Zh1P-EF95-MATCHED-PAIR-tubes-Little-Dot-MK-II-/140425074012

and then the ones that Ryan will be having as an upgrade option:
Tung-Sol JTL-6AK5
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-matched-NIB-1945-Tung-Sol-JTL-6AK5-tubes-6J1-5654-/270602424267

Looks interesting :) There should be a decent amount of fun tube-rolling with this unit.

Jul 24, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #19 of 232
The word is that Ryan's been running into issues and fixing them then testing them to make sure the unit is perfect and that takes time. He said that the first mini-batch should ship by the end of this next week. He also said that pre-orders for another batch will happen around the same time.

It is coming :p

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #21 of 232
I've placed my order 2 minutes ago!

atsmile.gif

d-_-b
Rocker 

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #22 of 232
For those who might have the same question:

I asked Ryan if it was possible to increase the output power to connect bigger speakers, but unfortunately that isn't possible (yet 
wink.gif
)

Quote Ryan:

Code:
 It will be very hard to mod it to output 2 x80 watt, we will need to re-design the circuit in order to archive so.- ... - I will keep the idea, maybe we can bring a more powerful amp out after a few months.

New product coming up?
biggrin.gif

Spanky, up to you to decide if this is worthy of going in the FAQ

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #23 of 232

I don't think so. I've also discussed this with Ryan a bit and we've come to the conclusion that (testing and spec-wise) the A1 drove most (up to) mid-size speakers just fine. :)

I think its possible in the next version of the A1, somewhere down the road, we might see some power increase to boost output a bit more. That next model is likely to be a way off though - the original A1 technically isn't really even out yet.
wink_face.gif
In my review i'm going to test it with a few different speakers though, so we will see how it can handle larger speakers.
smily_headphones1.gif
sp70.
Quote:
For those who might have the same question:

I asked Ryan if it was possible to increase the output power to connect bigger speakers, but unfortunately that isn't possible (yet 
wink.gif
)

New product coming up?
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #25 of 232

Quote:
New product coming up?
biggrin.gif

I won't for a couple of reasons. It's pure speculation and if a more powerful amp happens, it won't be for many months if not a year or so.

For the people that are concerned about low output power, wait until reviews come in before you dismiss this amp all together.

Jul 31, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #27 of 232

If you mean modding the A1 once you get it to output more power I don't think thats going to be an option due to its internal design. It has to do with the speaker output stage, the type and design of it makes modding almost impossible. sp70.
Quote:
i was actually referring to the (not) modding the output part right now, but ok :wink:

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #28 of 232
Jeez, am I speaking Chinese or what?
biggrin.gif

I was just pointing out that you can not mod the output power of the A1 and that it was confirmed by Ryan.
Seemed interesting enough to mention here or add to the FAQ, as other people might have the same question.
That's all
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #29 of 232
National Semiconductors's PDF for the LM1876 series indicates the chip can put out 20 watts into 8 ohms and 22 watts into 4 ohms.  Above that, THD+N rises rapidly.  I think the A1 will be able to loudly drive speakers rated at 87db (1 watt/1 meter) or higher - for most listening rooms.  I'm looking forward to hearing the A1's tube output via the headphone jack in a few weeks.

www.national.com/ds/LM/LM1876.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back