Matrix Quattro DAC: Unboxing and initial impressions
Aug 5, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #32 of 120
So far I am absolutely enjoying it. The DAC and built-in amp is very clean, it is neutral sounding and detailed.
It did not make my 900s any brighter, bass is more controlled and has more impact compared to the Fiio. Especially with faster bass n' drum tracks.
You notice this quite easily when there are a lot of instruments being played at the same time, combined with low frequency bass. Less soup and hi beef.

I was originally afraid that the 900 would be too bright by not getting a darker, warmer sounding unit. 
Seems like I took the correct decision. 

The 650 has the same results. The Quattro does not add any coloration, it lets you experience the true sound signature for your phones, in the quality they are intended. 

I don't have more than 30~ hours burn in, but I am enjoying every minute. 

Looking forward getting the amp and run the Sennheiser's balanced :wink:

Oh, my Setup is PC > SB Touch > Quattro.

Haven't tried the USB yet for music, except gaming. 

PS. I have had limited exposure to High-End equipment, so I can't really compare it to anything else but budget.
This is the best dac, amp product I have ever owned, and the most expensive. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #33 of 120
project86, Have you had the opportunity to spend some more time with the DAC? 
Would love to hear how it holds up against the Anedio D1. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #34 of 120

Quote:
project86, Have you had the opportunity to spend some more time with the DAC? 
Would love to hear how it holds up against the Anedio D1. 

I have, and it is a very good DAC. It doesn't quite stack up against what I consider to be very high end DACs: the Anedio D1, Audio GD Reference 7, and Esoteric D70 are all superior on some level. But the difference is small enough to where you would need top quality source material, amplification, headphones/speakers, and most importantly listening skills. The Quattro DAC is good enough to where a deficiency in any of those categories would make the differences tough to hear. 

Aug 20, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #35 of 120
I have been comparing the Toslink input to the USB input and so far I would give the edge to the USB.

I am using a Macbook running Decibel with 16\44 and 24\\96 FLACS into the Quattro DAC....

Anyone else tried this comparison?

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #37 of 120
Might be my listening skills, but I can't hear any difference on the USB from computer or coax from SB touch.

Might be something there, but nothing I can detect from quickly switching between. 

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #38 of 120
ive been doing a lot of trolling last few weeks/months to find something for the Pro 900. I was set on getting a matrix mini-i + m-stage until i stumbled across this. You guys dont have any experience with this Quattr DAC alone VS mini-i + m-stage? The Quattr cost more then both units combined, but i would happily pay the difference if it could perform better.

Aug 22, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #39 of 120
just to further clarify, from what i've read, i can understand it performs very well and would have better future potential in the event of an amp. Though in the meantime, would it be a good enough performer as a stand-alone unit as oppose to the mini-i +m-stage combo?

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #40 of 120
The Mini-i is the one Matrix product I haven't heard.... so no direct comment on that from me. In general though, I'd say it depends on what your goals are for your system.

Is this a one time purchase, which (assuming you are pleased with the sound) you intend to keep long term?

Or is it just a building block to some more expensive future setup?

What are you using as a transport - USB, or SPDIF? 

Do you listen to any high-res material above 16-bit/44.1kHz? 

Do you intend to primarily use those Ultrasones, or are there other models in your plans?

The answers to those questions will determine which setup is a better fit. 

Aug 22, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #41 of 120
Hi, guys!

It's been some time since I posted, but the Quattro DAC has piqued my interest and I'm "mining" information.  I've been looking for an affordable stereo DAC for my mastering rig, something the sonic match of the Benchmark DAC1, Mytek DAC96, Lavry or other DACs of that ilk (right now I use a Mackie Onxy 400f, and it's been more than adequate, actually quite good).  I've always been intrigued by the Chinese products (I have an original Zero DAC) - their build quality is mostly excellent, with decent internals, and sometimes great topology, but often stopping just short of excellent sonically.  Their pricing has almost always been hard to beat - but, I haven't yet found an "affordable" (sub $800) alternative from them in the league of the three DACs I mentioned.  However, I've always suspected the potential was there.

Then I saw this one on eBay last night.  It literally screamed "Benchmark!!" at me.

The million dollar question - does it compare to the DAC1 - favorably - as good - better - lousy??

Thanks, fellas!

Aug 22, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #42 of 120
The Ultrasones will be the primary headphones and i intend to keep for a very long time. At the moment im only running them through a dj interface, which to be honest doesnt sound any better then my onboard laptop soundcard. They sound excellent at mid volume but start to lose control and bass lean as i go higher between 70% - %100 depending on source.

I will primarily be using the USB interface for my music and movies which range from 16bit,44,000khz - higher for some flac albums / movies that i own, and would like the optical input for the PS3/bluray.

It will be a one time purchase so i did want something that will be excellent now and also great for future setup ie. added amp if need be.

I have heard good things about the mini-i + m-stage combo and wonder how the Quattro's built-in amp fairs against the M-stage.

Thanks in advance for your help

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #43 of 120
> Outputs can be either balanced XLR or single ended RCA

how do you switch from one to the other?
I'm considering the DAC/AMP combo and would use the balanced XLR for the Quattro Matrix AMP -> balanced headphone chain, reserving the single ended RCA for a different preamp -> amp -> speakers chain

thx

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #44 of 120

Quote:
The million dollar question - does it compare to the DAC1 - favorably - as good - better - lousy??

My Quattro has been running for 2 weeks (roughly 150 hours listening time clocked in), but I can say that it does compare very well with Benchmark's DAC1 if you intend to use the Quattro as a  DAC. The amp sections is where you'll see slight differences between both units. I feel that the Quattro has a slightly darker presentation than the DAC1. Although it's still a very neutral and transparent sounding component. The DAC1 also has a slight edge on the Quattro when it comes to note extension and decay. 

Still in terms of value the Quattro wins hands down as the differences between the two are tiny, and the remote option is very convenient. I would recommend pairing it with a brighter sounding headphone. I, myself am using a pair of Sony MDR-SA5000s with the Quattro, and the combination is most enjoyable. I found that the Quattro softens the harshness of the SA5000.  

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #45 of 120

Quote:
My Quattro has been running for 2 weeks (roughly 150 hours listening time clocked in), but I can say that it does compare very well with Benchmark's DAC1 if you intend to use the Quattro as a  DAC. The amp sections is where you'll see slight differences between both units. I feel that the Quattro has a slightly darker presentation than the DAC1. Although it's still a very neutral and transparent sounding component. The DAC1 also has a slight edge on the Quattro when it comes to note extension and decay. 

Still in terms of value the Quattro wins hands down as the differences between the two are tiny, and the remote option is very convenient. I would recommend pairing it with a brighter sounding headphone. I, myself am using a pair of Sony MDR-SA5000s with the Quattro, and the combination is most enjoyable. I found that the Quattro softens the harshness of the SA5000.  

Thanks!

The headphone amp isn't as important as the quality of the conversion and the line amp.  It would only occasionally drive a pair of headphones.  I would be using the DAC in a monitor system with a pair of Scan Speak 18W/8545 - D2902 two way monitors (very high resolving speakers).  It would be moved back and forth between driving the power amp by itself or feeding an Audible Illusions Modulus 2 preamp (I sometimes need that tube warmth!)..

The Benchmark is considered one of the standards in the industry for conversion for monitoring (along with Mytek, Lavry, Crane Song, et al).  However, I'm a small part time location recordist who places her money where it would be most effective, in microphones and mic preamps.  I've hesitated at the Benchmark DAC for years because of the cost, and even first generation used ones are high priced!  Anything less than the Benchmark (as in Lucid, Echo, Mackie, etc) is just that - less (I am using a Mackie Onyx 400F out of convenience).  But, along came the Matrix Quattro!  I can afford it, and it is beginning to appear to be a serious contender to the Benchmark.  However, I won't spend the money until I know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back