Matrix Quattro amp: unboxing and initial impressions
Aug 8, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #16 of 229

Quote:
When using the Dac and Amp together in balanced mode which volume control do you use?

I assume you defeat the one on the DAC by the rear switch and then use the pot on the amp?

In this case would the remote volume buttons drive the volume control on the Amp only?

Your assumption is correct. 

The remote is the same between the two units - setting the DAC to "variable" allows remote operation, as does setting the amp to "remote". You obviously don't want to set them both for remote operation because they will both change each time you hit a button. 

Honestly I haven't used "variable" on the DAC much since I've been using it mostly as a pure DAC or DAC/integrated headphone amp rather than as a pre-amp. I'll get around to that ASAP.

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #18 of 229
Thanks for the unboxing pics, I just have a few questions:

1) Do you have a multimeter (or any sort of continuity tester)

2) When operating in balanced mode, are the left and right channels on each of the TRS jacks tied/shorted together? Why does Tam Audio use a TRS plug even for balanced operation?

3) Can you use the multimeter/continuity tester and tell me what pins on the 4 pin XLR plug correspond with the left/right channels on the TRS plugs?

Thanks!

Brendan

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #19 of 229

Quote:
Thanks for the unboxing pics, I just have a few questions:

1) Do you have a multimeter (or any sort of continuity tester)

2) When operating in balanced mode, are the left and right channels on each of the TRS jacks tied/shorted together? Why does Tam Audio use a TRS plug even for balanced operation?

3) Can you use the multimeter/continuity tester and tell me what pins on the 4 pin XLR plug correspond with the left/right channels on the TRS plugs?

Thanks!

Brendan

I'll have to track down my multimeter, haven't used it (or even seen it) since my last CMoy build a while back.

I believe TRS for balanced operation is more common than you would think. I've seen it done on various pro-oriented gear (mostly amps) and even some headphone amps like the DIY Chazz II tube amp. Would I prefer they have used combo jacks like the Headroom Balanced Ultra? Probably. But at the end of the day I don't have a big problem with the Matrix implementation. 

Perhaps JTam can answer your other questions, as he seems handy with electronics. I might take a while but I'll do my best.

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #20 of 229
Hope this will help...

Quote:
I'll have to track down my multimeter, haven't used it (or even seen it) since my last CMoy build a while back.

I believe TRS for balanced operation is more common than you would think. I've seen it done on various pro-oriented gear (mostly amps) and even some headphone amps like the DIY Chazz II tube amp. Would I prefer they have used combo jacks like the Headroom Balanced Ultra? Probably. But at the end of the day I don't have a big problem with the Matrix implementation. 

Perhaps JTam can answer your other questions, as he seems handy with electronics. I might take a while but I'll do my best.

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #21 of 229
Yes it does, thanks alot, I didn't know what I was smoking that day, of course you'd use TRS plugs for balanced operation, that way you can short L and R, whereas a TR plug you'd short right and ground, which is bad.

Brendan

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #22 of 229
I placed my order last Friday for the amp, looking forward running my HD650s in balanced. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #23 of 229

Quote:
I placed my order last Friday for the amp, looking forward running my HD650s in balanced. 

Congrats! I don't think you will be disappointed. In some situations I think people would be better served by getting the M-Stage and saving the $150 difference. This is not one of those times though. You'll be running full balanced from the DAC to the amp to the headphones, and it should sound very good. 

Let us know your impressions when you get  a chance. Did you get the full Senn cable as well?

Aug 15, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #24 of 229
I should finally be receiving my Quattro amp tomorrow after 2 weeks in customs!

Will report back with my first impression on balanced HD800 and HD650s
o2smile.gif

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #26 of 229

I got a full balanced Senn cable on the way soon. 
Blows that I can't run my Pro900 balanced (yet) though. Need to find some courage in order to modify them. 

Quote:
Congrats! I don't think you will be disappointed. In some situations I think people would be better served by getting the M-Stage and saving the $150 difference. This is not one of those times though. You'll be running full balanced from the DAC to the amp to the headphones, and it should sound very good. 

Let us know your impressions when you get  a chance. Did you get the full Senn cable as well?

Aug 17, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #27 of 229
I am a little confused as to which volume control to use when the DAC and amp are used in combination.

I have connected the 2 using the balanced XLR cables.

I now disable the remote control by the switch on the back of the amp so only the remote volume on the DAC is functional...will this disable the volume control on the amp completely and set the amp  at its maximum output?

Does the variable-fixed switch on the back of the DAC now have to be set to variable otherwise the full output volume will be sent to the amp?

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #28 of 229
Project86 I think the Matrix DAC\Amp combo was meant to be used differently according to the instructions.

The remote is switched off on the amp, thus it works purely as a power amp and bypasses the volume conrtol pot [and remote function]

The output of the DAC is then set to variable and used with the remote control...

Unfortunately this way the amp's volume control must be set to around half setting and the volume must be controlled by the output of the DAC thus putting 2 pots in the signal path.

If it is set the other way i.e. fixed output from the the DAC , then the volume control on the amp will have to be used and when you use the remote both volume control knobs will turn. [also the input functions will toggle on both the DAC and amp when you press the input selector on the remote]

Now I am really confused
blink.gif

Quote:
Your assumption is correct. 

The remote is the same between the two units - setting the DAC to "variable" allows remote operation, as does setting the amp to "remote". You obviously don't want to set them both for remote operation because they will both change each time you hit a button. 

Honestly I haven't used "variable" on the DAC much since I've been using it mostly as a pure DAC or DAC/integrated headphone amp rather than as a pre-amp. I'll get around to that ASAP.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #29 of 229
Just got the AMP today, having my first listening session now.
I didn't expect it to arrive before later this week or next, quickest delivery I've ever had from Asia. Great work. 

Left the gain at fixed and controlling the volume from the amp. Might try variable and fine tune it later. 
Don't know how gain affects the SQ, but less should be better? At the moment I can't take the knob further than 1/3 before it gets too loud. 

Just a shame my balanced 650 cable is still not here! Hopefully soon =) 

Going to do some ABing with the DAC's amp after it has burnt in. 

Anyways, so far I am impressed. Great "budget" product and Jeffrey Tam is a pleasure doing business with. 

BTW, Will there be any heat issues stacking the amp and dac on top of each other? 
AMP on top or DAC? (Yes, they are very naughty indeed :p

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #30 of 229
So far using the balanced cable I received on both the HD650s and HD800s the results are outstanding...the difference between using the Quattro amp\DAC in balanced mode as opposed to the DACs headphone output alone are quite remarkable, especially on the HD650s.

Whether it  is the balanced cable which makes the HD650s open up so much or the extra power of the balanced amp I do not yet know...

I have asked Jeffrey the same question regarding stacking the amp on top of the DAC...the XLR cables he sent are very short and the combo can only be used stacked...the DAC seems to be getting rather warm so I have raised the amp off the DAC with some higher feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back