Matrix m-stage or Ibsso D12 to drive Denons
Aug 3, 2011 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

jiminy

Head-Fier
I started this headphone story with my Ah-d2000 which sounded good but they were bloated in the bass department so i modded them and now they are a lot better but there is a lack of attack and they could do with more depth for me to really enjoy them

Ive been looking at different amps and amp/dac combo's but I'm going round in circles.  I like the look of the M-stage matrix but am worried i wont be impressed because either it needs a dac to sound good or more worryingly, i may not have the ears to hear the difference.  I don't want to start buying things and finding i want to change them or that i don't gain any extra enjoyment from them, or that i have to start spending more money to enjoy them.

That got me thinking that i should get a amp/dac combo.  The Ibasso D12 looks like a good choice.  My thinking being that as the Denons are easy to drive, this amp/dac should do a pretty good job and if i want to upgrade i could add the Matrix and then if required a better dac. I shouldn't waste money this way as i can still use the d12 as a portable. I picked the d12 because it has optical input and the op-amp rolling looks like fun.

So my question is, does this sound like a sensible solution or am i missing a better intro to headphone amps and dacs.

thanks

I now have the Matrix mini-I on order

Users who are viewing this thread

Back