Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro
Mar 14, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #46 of 520
So the SU-1 does support native mode DSD. That's good to hear. AES/EBU, Coax, and Optical are the same supported sample rates as the X-Sabre Pro. That is simply the limitations of the spdif protocol.

The X-Sabre Pro does support PCM 32/768 via USB. Just limited to DSD 512 on the USB input. The SU-1 should be able to handle 32/768 with ease using the XU208 and also add DSD 1024. As long as Singer is using a really good clock these other rates should be possible with just a firmware update. I know the new XMOS chip is surely capable of it.

I have toyed with picking up a Singer SU-1 to play with but I'm not sure what the benefit would be until they enable the full capabilities. Again having the USB conversation done outside with it's own power supply is intriguing and may have some additional benefits.

I would really love to see someone make a thunderbolt interface to I2S. That would be the equivalent of a PCIe card with a direct connection to the PCI express lanes but in an external isolated box with its own power supply. Thunderbolt 3 in via a USB C cable and I2S out via a HDMI cable. Then things could get really interesting. No USB conversion in the path!

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #47 of 520
Pink Faun made an I2S Bridge (PCIe card) a few years ago. It used a HDMI cable to connect directly to your I2S input on your DAC (if your DAC had an I2S input back then). They never got to popular though. You could however put one of these in an external thunderbolt PCIe case.

A simplified dedicated unit would be even better though and I think many would be more likely to buy something like this if a desktop computer was not required. Any laptop or mini computer (NUC) with a thunderbolt version 2 or 3 port would be all you need. There are a lot more DAC's available now as well with an I2S port. Maybe it's time to finally start utilizing this new connection. :)

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #55 of 520
It does seem bustard is a great deal, but no es9038 pro, only 9028prox2

There is a Gustard DAC with dual AK 4497 (newest) DAC chips and buit in AMP also < $900! A20H, very interesting and tempting, although waiting for more reviews on SQ.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #56 of 520
The ES9038pro is a very complex chip and requires a completely different board design then the ES9028. What appears as a simple board layout contains many layers of traces that are unseen, to interconnect all the other chips together that are used.

As things continue to advance, additional supporting​ circuity within these chips help simplify the over all board layout. Often referred to as a 'system on a chip' these multi pin components have the equivalent of microscope boards inside them with supporting circuitry integrated into their design.

To really appreciate the complexity you need to have access to the silicon die and an electron microscope. You'll notice ESS DAC chips have a lot more pins on them then a Burr Brown for instance. Things not only keep getting smaller, but they also include more functionality​. This reduces the amount of external components that are required. Signal paths are therefore​ shortened improving efficiency, reducing resistance, and improving audio reproduction.

The chips themselves are more expensive, but are well worth the extra costs​ to build a better product. The ES9038pro is the flag ship DAC from ESS with amazing audio quality. It's a huge improvement over the previous generation 9018 design.

The phone in your pocket is far more advanced then a desktop computer from 20 years ago. Smaller, denser, more sophisticated components makes this possible. Cell phones have continued to get more expensive, but look at what they're capable of. Digital audio converters keep getting better and that much closer to reproducing everything we can hear. :)

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #57 of 520
It does seem bustard is a great deal, but no es9038 pro, only 9028prox2

LKS has a dual 9038 unit: https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/l-k-s-audio-mh-da004-dual-es9038pro-flagship-dac-dsd-input-coaxial-bnc-aes-ebu-for-dop-usb-i2s-optical-audio-decoder.html

I have my concerns about the pricing of the X-Sabre Pro as well, I feel it would rule its niche at $1200 but that $1700 is putting it in competition with some of the better R2R units and other alternatives.

As well I think it's an oversight to not have all the newest bells and whistles such as the XU208. I have the original X-Sabre and the Singxer has completely put new life into it. I love the sound of the X-Sabre as fed by the F-1: cleaner, clearer and smoother. There is no way to know if  the Singxer would make a difference on the X-Sabre Pro, but it would be nice to have it in place there in any event.  

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #59 of 520
These boards look too simple to be worth of a 1600-2000 device ?

Less is more. Think about how big capacitors and resistors used to be. Remember when a computer took up an entire room? The ESS9038 Pro handles more in-house so to speak — thus it requires less external components in the mix (on the board).

Gustard is much more advanced and cost ca 800...

Simply not true. It may look more sophisticated because it's trying​ it's damnedest to retrofit old tech and improve upon it. ESS9038 Pro is all new — requiring a completely different circuit design. You can't just pop a 90398 Pro into an existing 9018 design; it simply won't work.

I have no respect for Gustard either after their H10 being a cheap clone of the Violectric V200. That's just shameful practice. I bet that's not the only design they've ripped off.
Well, I am fully aware of circuitry design and implementations, but why couldn't it be 9038 pro instead ? Anyways, beside Gustard, do we have anything else that is warmer in tonality ?

Might I suggest the LP DAC RS 06 or Violectric DAC V850?

LKS has a dual 9038 unit: https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/l-k-s-audio-mh-da004-dual-es9038pro-flagship-dac-dsd-input-coaxial-bnc-aes-ebu-for-dop-usb-i2s-optical-audio-decoder.html

I have my concerns about the pricing of the X-Sabre Pro as well, I feel it would rule its niche at $1200 but that $1700 is putting it in competition with some of the better R2R units and other alternatives.

As well I think it's an oversight to not have all the newest bells and whistles such as the XU208. I have the original X-Sabre and the Singxer has completely put new life into it. I love the sound of the X-Sabre as fed by the F-1: cleaner, clearer and smoother. There is no way to know if  the Singxer would make a difference on the X-Sabre Pro, but it would be nice to have it in place there in any event.  

That link won't load for me. Are the chips genuine in them? There are some fake ESS Sabre chips in the market.

I don't think that the X-Sabre Pro could be priced at the same or less than the original since it required new R&D, circuit design, features, functionality, etc. The chips themselves cost more as well.

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #60 of 520
I went with LKS Mh-DA004, dual 9038 pro :D. 140db DNR in mono application! I dont agree about the chip itself that doesn't need big cap or resistors or so on...and on...powersupply is always important, and then. Noting beat discrete class A output stage. This internal shot is what made my decision to go with LKS. Look at all those beautiful class A discrete components

Users who are viewing this thread

Back