Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro
Feb 22, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #33 of 520
XMOS XU208 on board?

Feb 26, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #35 of 520
Hi, casual "thread lurker" here - sorry to chime in having not contributed anything! I'm tempted to look into DSD512-capable DACs, like the iFi, L.K.S., Gustard options......and now this Matrix offering (as the Holo Spring and T+A are out of my range), but am I right in saying you'd need a beast of a PC to reliably upsample to this level in HQ Player?

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #36 of 520
Why can somebody buy this, when Oppo Sonica uses the same chips, and costs half the price??

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #37 of 520
Why can somebody buy this, when Oppo Sonica uses the same chips, and costs half the price??
Chip use isn't the whole story? Implementation, circuit design, features, functionality, measurements, etc.

The cheapest plastic blower GTX 1080 is also the absolute worst performing GTX 1080. Lol... Monitors that use the same panel aren't made equally either. Some are binned for higher tolerance.

My guess is the Oppo Sonica skirted quality components and design choices in direct comparison. There's no way it can perform on the same levels of the X-Sabre Pro. AirPlay and Bluetooth aren't lossless technologies, yet they're included in the Sonica. Why? What a junk feature for a TOTL chip. That defeats the purpose of using high end chips or components. Might as well use 64 kbps mp3 tracks. Wireless capability is just asking to let noise pour and flow into your setup.

The Sonica isn't a flagship or TOTL worthy offering from my perspective. It's a budget prosumer offering with gimmicky features that hinder quality and performance for more functionality. YMMV.
Note: I've not heard it, but I can see the writing on the walls.

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #38 of 520
Chip use isn't the whole story? Implementation, circuit design, features, functionality, measurements, etc.

The cheapest plastic blower GTX 1080 is also the absolute worst performing GTX 1080. Lol... Monitors that use the same panel aren't made equally either. Some are binned for higher tolerance.

My guess is the Oppo Sonica skirted quality components and design choices in direct comparison. There's no way it can perform on the same levels of the X-Sabre Pro. AirPlay and Bluetooth aren't lossless technologies, yet they're included in the Sonica. Why? What a junk feature for a TOTL chip. That defeats the purpose of using high end chips or components. Might as well use 64 kbps mp3 tracks. Wireless capability is just asking to let noise pour and flow into your setup.

The Sonica isn't a flagship or TOTL worthy offering from my perspective. It's a budget prosumer offering with gimmicky features that hinder quality and performance for more functionality. YMMV.
Note: I've not heard it, but I can see the writing on the walls.

Thanks. It makes sense. I have read similar words on Sonica.

Can you help me understand the difference between Quattro II, X-Sabre, and X-Sabre Pro?

Also, how does the Matrix DACs compare to Schiit Multibit DACs? What about the new new R2R DACs?

Thanks!

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #39 of 520
Thanks. It makes sense. I have read similar words on Sonica.

Can you help me understand the difference between Quattro II, X-Sabre, and X-Sabre Pro?

Also, how does the Matrix DACs compare to Schiit Multibit DACs? What about the new new R2R DACs?

Thanks!
Aside from the DAC chip itself, the X-Sabre Pro utilises a better clock, USB Isolation, XMOS chip, power supply, and more than the lesser/older Matrix product offerings.

I've not heard any multibit or R2R DAC offerings. The sound science forums likely have more information than I can provide in much higher detail. Personally, I don't see a problem with dacs that oversample when it's done well. NOS (no oversampling) seems counter productive in my personal opinion since oversampling and filters can average out and clean up the signal of any errors. Some people enjoy that raw sound or believe it's closer to analog—I really cannot say who's right or wrong. It's all personal preference after all. What I don't like about multibit and R2R dacs are their need to be on for days at a time. I like to turn off my gear when it's not in use. It doesn't take very long (less than 30 minutes usually) for more traditional gear to warm up to ideal operating temperatures.

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #42 of 520
  XMOS XU208 on board?

Didn't see an answer to this, I'm curious as well as if it uses the older U series XMOS I may chain PC --> USB into Singer SU-1 --> IIS into the X-Sabre pro. The Singer SU-1 is XMOS XU208, FWIW purported to be an advance over U series. I concede however that the exact areas of XU208 superiority are beyond my knowledge level and happy to hear input (pun intended) on advantages or disadvantages to using a USB interface versus direct to DAC.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #44 of 520
The X-Sabre Pro does not use the XU208. The only advantage in this application would be the support of DSD 1024 via USB. The X-Sabre Pro is currently limited to DSD 512 via DoP or Native using USB. The I2S input has support for DSD 1024.

The Singer SU-1 does look interesting however despite using the newer XMOS chip it's limited to DSD 256 via DoP only (no native support). I was hoping Singer would release a firmware update to utilize the XU208's full capabilities. It would be nice to have DSD 1024 to play with for upsampling via HQplayer. There could still be some small advantages to having the USB conversation in a separate box with it's own power supply.

If anyone is using these together can you hear any audible improvement?

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #45 of 520
The X-Sabre Pro does not use the XU208. The only advantage in this application would be the support of DSD 1024 via USB. The X-Sabre Pro is currently limited to DSD 512 via DoP or Native using USB. The I2S input has support for DSD 1024.

The Singer SU-1 does look interesting however despite using the newer XMOS chip it's limited to DSD 256 via DoP only (no native support). I was hoping Singer would release a firmware update to utilize the XU208's full capabilities. It would be nice to have DSD 1024 to play with for upsampling via HQplayer. There could still be some small advantages to having the USB conversation in a separate box with it's own power supply.

If anyone is using these together can you hear any audible improvement?

Hmmm. SU-1 specs. from Shenzenaudio suggest it can output native DSD256 over I2S, with S/PDIF,AES/EBU limited to DSD64 via DoP. Agree it's a bit confusing:
Specifications:
Each output interface supports sampling rates:
PCM:
44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96KHz,
176.4KHz, 192KHz, 352.8KHz, 384KHz
(I2S support all sampling rate,S/PDIF support upper to 192KHz
DSD:
2.8 MHz (DSD64)-DoP, native
5.6 MHz (DSD128)-DoP, native
11.2 MHz (DSD256)-native
(I2S output support all DSD,S/PDIF,AES/EBU support DSD64 DOP mode)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back