Matrix Audio Mini-i 3 and Mini-i Pro3 DAC
Feb 12, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #61 of 193
What is that no prob? like i hear it? Or it really sounds good. No offence but if i see the spec:
1320mW @ 33Ω and your Abyss is 47ohm0
and i read that other amps with higher output power do not drive the Abyss well than i have my doubts its driving them well.
You own it tho so if your happy... and maybe there underselling the specs.

Yes, i've seen those specs.
So, theoretically the Abyss 1266 should sound lean, thin, odd, tonally skewed, and worse, when being driven by the (tiny) 1320mW @ 33Ω > Matrix i-3 Pro or non-pro.

Yet, on -20 (minus 20) on the Volume Knob, not +20, but -20.... my long hair is bouncing from the bass impact, because its too loud.
I think the Volume tops out at +30ish, so, its a long way to go...

When i compare the "body of the sound"...the "fullness of the tone", with a much stronger Class "A" amp, all that changes is the unit.
Where the Abyss FR should be suffering is regarding the Low End, but, it doesn't.
It Thumps just fine, using the Matrix.
Same can be said for the JDS Labs Element 2, as a matter of fact, when using the JDS I can't even get close to the 9-o'clock position when powering the Abyss 1266, and that is NOT using the "high power" switch.

Here is a quick photo of my Abyss and the 3 amps that im using to drive it today.
-
-
P2120002.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #62 of 193
Yes, i've seen those specs.
So, theoretically the Abyss 1266 should sound lean, thin, odd, tonally skewed, and worse, when being driven by the (tiny) 1320mW @ 33Ω > Matrix i-3 Pro or non-pro.

Yet, on -20 (minus 20) on the Volume Knob, not +20, but -20.... my long hair is bouncing from the bass impact, because its too loud.
I think the Volume tops out at +30ish, so, its a long way to go...

When i compare the "body of the sound"...the "fullness of the tone", with a much stronger Class "A" amp, all that changes is the unit.
Where the Abyss FR should be suffering is regarding the Low End, but, it doesn't.
It Thumps just fine, using the Matrix.
Same can be said for the JDS Labs Element 2, as a matter of fact, when using the JDS I can't even get close to the 9-o'clock position when powering the Abyss 1266, and that is NOT using the "high power" switch.

Here is a quick photo of my Abyss and the 3 amps that im using to drive it today.
-
-P2120002.JPG
How does the Matrix sound compare to the RebelAmp? I've heard good things about the sound of the Rebel and in Zeo's review of the matrix he mentioned it sounded just like the Rebel but with all the bells and whistles of a DAC, streamer, etc.

Feb 13, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #63 of 193
How does the Matrix sound compare to the RebelAmp? I've heard good things about the sound of the Rebel and in Zeo's review of the matrix he mentioned it sounded just like the Rebel but with all the bells and whistles of a DAC, streamer, etc.

hey mblain,

Similar Tonality and a touch more analytical.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #64 of 193
I had my MA Mini I Pro 3 for a week now. I’m very very impressed by it so far. I bought this for my HIFI System with the intent to pair it with my Parasound A21+ Power Amp directly via XLR, using the Mini as ,Streamer/Dac/Preamp. Will do so once my new apartment is settled. Currently letting it burn in and using my Audeze LCD2F via Headphone output and my KSE1200 via RCA Line out

I did not demo this before buying it from my local store. I simply read the reviews,all of them seems positive. I just need a simple streamer/Dac/preamp that sounds better than the Bluesound Node2 . My Initial thought of Sabre dacs , it’s supposed to be very bright/Harsh, in this case the Mini i 3 Pro is not. Im not a fan of Sabre stuff due to ‘harshness’ everyone claims. But damn...this stuff is the sound that’s missing from my preference Dacs like , Burr Brown PCM 1794 or Phillips TDA154X. The micro details is pushed forward in a good way,never harsh or too bright. I’m not a reviewer but sound impressions is exactly what most other reviewers said, quiet black background,very very detailed etc.

I do however find the headphone output a little disappointing when driving out Planars/high Impedance HP like Audeze LCD2F or the 470ohms Audio Technica R70X. Volume control almost at 80-90% for my preferred listening volume. I need to crank it hard to get the Authority. Like I mentioned before, I don’t intent to use the Mini I Pro 3 for headphones/Iems So it doesn’t matter much to me. The real Gem here for me is, the Line Outputs(RCA/XLR). I hook RCA out to 3.5mm inputs of the KSE1200. The KSE1200 energiser is usually sensitive and blink red light if there’s distortion or clipping. This usually happens if I use line out of most devices I’ve tried, in this case the Mini I Pro 3 doesn’t. It doesn’t cause distortion/clipping based on the KSE1200 Green led shines throughout my whole listening sessions. I’m simply amazed by it. A good thing to take note because I want the line out signal to be as clean as possible to feed the A21+ power amp. I have not used the XLR yet, but I’m expecting it will perform better than the RCA outputs.

Streaming wise, I found the Airplay 2 sound quality to be surprisingly good with IPhone/Ipad via Tidal App. I tried Both Lan and Wifi connections. Both is stable. Only once in a while I encountered errors like song stuttering when i keep changing tracks quickly. But other than that operation is smooth. Love the Album art display on the LCD. Via USB it detects MQA and other formats Like DSD etc . I’ve not tried ROON yet, but definitely will do soon. A thing to take note, the Mini I Pro 3 will get quite warm after 30mins of use. Good sounding dac, clean preamp, a good streamer, what more can I ask for? Outstanding product, I highly recommend it.
8FFA420A-269F-483B-8054-C04569CC6488.jpeg

Feb 15, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #65 of 193
The Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 sounds incredibly comparable to a Schiit Modius/Magnius on my 6xx. Have to really focus in on details to be able to hear a difference, and if I'm involved in the song, I forget which amp I'm using pretty quickly.

Feb 15, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #66 of 193
I had my MA Mini I Pro 3 for a week now. I’m very very impressed by it so far.

I do however find the headphone output a little disappointing when driving out Planars/high Impedance HP like Audeze LCD2F or the 470ohms Audio Technica R70X. Volume control almost at 80-90% for my preferred listening volume.

I use the mini and the mini pro to drive Empyreans, LSA-HP1, Abyss 1266, GL2000s,....Ether 2.....

I can't ever get past -20 (minus 20) on the Volume knob, even with the Abyss, as -20 is Loud.

Feb 16, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #68 of 193
I have not, the three phone I've listend so far with are HD800s, HD58X, and currently the HD660s which I'm currently breaking in and they really have great synergy with the Mini.
the HD800 sound great too, but I feel like the HD800s a little more lower level volume and the HD58x haven't had much head time. I may go out and buy an amp to see, im currently researching amplifiers.
I don't have an experience with Empyrean's what are their impedance?

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #70 of 193
@FullBright1 any chance you tested them with low impedance IEMs? (just trying to get an impression how they would get along with a 13ohm Aeon2)
Also thank you for posting amazing tracks in numerous treads (you must be listening to music 24/7)

Anyone who has some input how they compare to other stream/dac/amp combo's?
Teac-nt-505 seems to have come to around the same price (supports tidal,spotify etc... which might or might never come to the i3, external clock input) but has no rca in nor nice screen for album artwork.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #71 of 193
@FullBright1 any chance you tested them with low impedance IEMs? (just trying to get an impression how they would get along with a 13ohm Aeon2)
Also thank you for posting amazing tracks in numerous treads (you must be listening to music 24/7)

Anyone who has some input how they compare to other stream/dac/amp combo's?
Teac-nt-505 seems to have come to around the same price (supports tidal,spotify etc... which might or might never come to the i3, external clock input) but has no rca in nor nice screen for album artwork.

Ive never tried IEM's with the hallowed Matrix....
And yes, im all about the Music.

Feb 17, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #72 of 193
Its wonderful.
That is how the Meze sound when powered by the Matrix i-3.
I use this setup all the time.
Thank you. That is helpful. I am wanting to get more from my Empyrean headphones with a single box option if possible. It would appear that the.Matrix Audio mini-i 3 Pro may well check off all of the boxes I am looking for to stream Roon to my Empyrean’s.

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #73 of 193
With the latest Roon update, Roon now works flawlessly. Ordered the Flux FA-12 to compliment the setup, looking forward to listening to that setup.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #75 of 193
It will have the latest, I purchased from power holdings and came direct from China with latest firmware.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back